By Ramesh Vodela
A couple of months back I wrote blog in interoperability section ( mobile development with C# and Xamarin) I felt it was too Technical and wanted to write a blog which can be fun reading but also helps readers and readers can participate to help others. I titled this blog SAP Consulting X issues ( like X files) as I found some issues quite strange - However the issues I find as X issues listed here could be N issues ( Normal issues for others). I would really encourage others to declassify my X issues as their N issues ( if they have answer) or raise new X issues so that readers can benefit by being aware of some issues and work out a suitable solution or avoid a potential time consuming issue.
X1) In the year 1996 I was given SAP help CD(My first exposure to SAP I'am a developer) and randomly clicked on a topic and the topic turned out to be Special Purpose Ledger ( FI configuration).I Came to US in 1997 thru a consulting company and went to my first project in Hershey for Hershey(PA) Canada Project to develop Report Painter report. I was in FI team. In the first team meeting there a issue that was becoming critical (to do with multi-currency reporting). Prior to my arrival the team had about 12 possible solutions to solve this. I suggested the use of Special Purpose Ledger to create a ledger with the required data and this was the 13th solution. The idea was accepted to be tried. I was given a sandbox to try this out. I configured the SPL and could populate all the fields except two fields which involved the use of ABAP Exits - As a developer I thought this will easy as I did the config which was not my skill set. I wrote the exists and configured the ABAP program as mentioned in the documentation. But no matter what I did the control did not come to the exit and hence the two field could not be populated (BATCH population was not accepted). The manger was obviously disappointed. Some colleagues used to call me SAP ALL as although I was developer I showed interest in functional modules- From SAP ALL I came to SAP NONE. After this I went about the job I came to Hershey - developed 50 Report Painter reports - Hershey Canada Project Went live - There was party for go live. My project ended - The next phase was Hershey US which was to start later.
PS1) Late 2001 I was watching CNN news and heard that there were problems with the SAP implementation which affected share price.
PS2) Sydney 2003 - I was asked by a professor in Accounting to configure and document the Special Purpose Ledger - I had the exact same document which I used at Hershey - I configured and wrote the exists as well - The Exit worked the very time with the exact same steps I has used in Hershey. I was dumb founded and tried to search for answer on the net. I am not 100% sure of the accuracy of what I read which is "There is a Basis setting that actually makes sure that Flow control does not come to the Exit" . This was strange finding.
X2) After Hershey my consulting company sent to another project in Wisconsin (1998). This project was Reporting using Logistic Information System (Can the client put of BW reporting and manage with LIS reporting). Having faced the Exit issue I made sure that all the Exists were working in my company's system before heading off to Wisconsin. Again in this project I configured LIS and wrote the Exists - Again I had the same issue the control was not coming. I spoke to the manager and we had finalized to raise OSS - But before I could that Exists started working on its own. I find this strange as well
X3) In 2006 I was doing Application development with .NET C# and ABAP Services - my ASP.NET screens invoke ABAP Services. In one situation I found that I was sending a char30 field to SAP. What I found in the debugger ( I could step from ASP.NET to ABAP code) one of the characters in the middle of the string was getting corrupted(not the same as the one sent from ASP.NET). This was happening only to one particular FM. I had no explanation but could circumvent this by sending another duplicate variable which was not getting corrupted. I find this very strange
X4) 2013 I was developing ABAP in ECC with CRM and PI. The Sales order Creation Starts in CRM and flows to ECC- I had to make a number of enhancements in ECC to implement some rules - As there different teams working and to make trouble shooting easy I create a Z table which populates some values which CRM is sending so that if any issue came up I could classify this as CRM issue or ECC issue so that the problem can be resolved. To populate the Z Table I implemented an enhancement in the FM in ECC which is the first point of entry from CRM to ECC. After a few weeks I found this table was not getting populated and on close examination I found the FM that was being called (Sales order Creation FM) was totally different from the FM it was calling before - The other FM where I populating earlier was not being called at all. The Basis people told me after verifying the system that they made no changes. I find this issue was strange
If you have experienced such issues do document it as it will help others.