It's live now and we already see people talking about it! We are excited to announce that SAP HANA SPS7 revision 70 is now available as the new developer edition.
The process works just like before however we've made some massive changes! Now it's also a reason you don't immediately see an "update" volume either. We added so much content pre-loaded, new configuration settings and a whole brand new experience that an "update" would probably conflict with your existing systems and cause you lots of problems.
The first thing we did was put up the brand new SAP HANA Studio, here. Some of you will notice that there is no Mac version there. This is because we don't have a supported Mac version at the moment however it's already on it's way with some very cool features for all of us Mac users out there. Internally we are already testing it and getting things squared away.
Next we only actually updated the AWS images for revision 70. Several reasons for this but that we can save for another discussion. SPS7 is available on two sizes and again is fully pre-configured to meet the needs of any developer and even has pre-loaded content from Thomas Jung and Rich Heilman to help you get started as quickly as possible.
- 4 vCPU's, 34.2GB RAM 154GB disk
- 8 vCPU's, 68.4GB RAM 154GB disk
We've also modified the instance to run the XS Engine through port 80, so no need to worry about changing or re-configuring port numbers or anything like, and this time once you start your instance you can copy the hostname to your browser and instead of the traditional "XS Engine is running" screen you'll now be prompted to login using the user "SYSTEM" and the default password "manager" and you'll get a quick start landing page with some links already in place to get you moving along!
Some of the configuration changes we made were automatically enabling the debugger, developer_mode and more as well as giving "SYSTEM" some of the default roles necessary to use a lot of the built in tools like the XS Web IDE, ADMIN, transport system, etc.
We are very excited about this change and we hope you enjoy it as well!
Grab your new developer edition today, just 10 quick steps to start the process!
- Go to http://aws.amazon.com (you can use your existing Amazon login) and be sure to sign up (you gotta give them your credit card number) for Amazon EC2 (Elastic Computing Cloud)
- Once you have signed up in be sure to go to your management console https://console.aws.amazon.com/console/home?# and on the left side select EC2 – once this page loads you will need to select the region you are working or will be working in (top right corner) - for example "Ireland" for the EU https://console.aws.amazon.com/ec2/v2/home?region=eu-west-1#
- On the left side scroll down until you see "key pairs" https://console.aws.amazon.com/ec2/v2/home?region=eu-west-1#KeyPairs: here you will need to create one – the reason for this is if you have large datasets or want to install the R language you'll need this to jump onto the server. The name of the key pair can be whatever you want.
- Now select your "account" page https://portal.aws.amazon.com/gp/aws/manageYourAccount within Amazon AWS and copy your account ID to the clipboard.
- Now head over to http://developers.sap.com and choose the HANA section http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/hana (oh make sure you are logged in)
- At the top of the HANA section you'll see the current SP and Revision that is available. Choose the "Developer Edition" http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-31722 if you go direct to Amazon you'll get our productive instance which has an additional 0.99 USD per hour charge. You'll also want to download the HANA Studio and HANA Client from here as well. The Studio is how we interact with the HANA Server (admin, monitoring, development, modeling) the Client is needed for native development, connecting to local tools (e.g. Excel)
- We have multiple hosts that provide the servers but in this case we'll sign up for the AWS one https://sapsolutionsoncloudsapicl.netweaver.ondemand.com/clickthrough/index.jsp?solution=han&provider=amazon
- Enter your Account ID that you copied earlier and select the region you chose as well then "Accept" the license.
- You will be redirected to AWS once your information is verified.
- Then follow the wizard