SAP Portal News Blogs April Edition
Welcome to the April edition of the Portal News Blog. In this edition we have prepared:
- Some SCN news concerning a new subspace in the Portal area
- Information on SAP NetWeaver 7.3 SPS 7 and Portal Mobile Enablement
- New information on On-Demand Portal
- Interesting New Blogs
I know that many of you missed an area for Portal Content and Knowledge Management on the new SCN. Now this area or subspace was created. You can find it under the subspace tab in the Portal space. Or us this direct link.
You can use this subspace to read our expert information on the Portal Content and Knowledge Management offering, to created blogs on this topic and also to discuss your open issues. The content of the KM forums of old SCN was also migrated to this subspace.
Note that we will continue to change the present subspace structure in the next future. You will be informed about every single change in the next Portal News Blogs.
SAP NetWeaver 7.3 SPS7 with Portal Mobile Enablement
The mobile enablement of SAP NetWeaver Portal is an extension of the existing portal offering based on SAP NetWeaver 7.3. The mobile enablement of Portal was realized in two phases:
- With SAP NetWeaver Portal 7.3 SP5, we have taken the first step to enable all the portal services (i.e. navigation, search, favorites, etc.) as public API’s. This approach empowers each and every customer to develop his own framework page (PC, smartphone or tablet) based of the AJAX Framework Page portal infrastructure. A how-to guide (based on SAP NW 7.30 SP5) with code examples was created to allow customers to build their own mobile framework page – be it for smart phones or tablets with the code samples already available on the Code Exchange community.
- With the release of SAP NetWeaver Portal 7.3 SPS7 (April 2 2012), we have now released the second phase of consuming the portal into different devices. A new out-of-the-box smartphone framework page is now available for use on touch-based smartphones. You can als configure different content for different devices and which portal desktop to display according to the device being used to access the Portal.
For more information on the mobile enablement of Portal see this:
Overview document on SCN
And as an appetizer you see her an image of the so-called launcher which contains applications you can launch and folders you can access, arranged in a grid layout. You can assign custom icons to the applications and folders. An application in the launcher can be opened either in the portal content area, or in a new portal window:
New SCN Information on Portal on Demand
SAP On-Demand Portal is the project name for a cloud-based portal solution that delivers easy site creation and social consumption at end user level, while leveraging SAP’s differentiating assets: in-memory computing, business applications and installed base. On-Demand Portal is based on SAP Cloud Platform for Java-based applications (aka NetWeaver Neo) and SAP HANA. This solution provides out-of-the-box secure and accelerated integration with customers’ on-premise system, allowing for content reuse.
A private beta program for SAP On-Demand Portal was initiated for a limited number of customers on March 1st 2012, and will continue until the first release for productive use, planned for Q3/2012.
For more information on Portal On-Demand see this:
Interesting New Blogs From the Portal Community on SCN
And what about SAPPHIRE/ASUG 2012?
We will soon publish a blog on our SAPPHIRE/ASUG activities: stay tuned on the Portal space on SCN.