SAP R/3 was easy
Nowadays it is more complex
Correlating software component versions with product versions
Evolution of code lines for software component SAP BASIS
- Part 2 of this blog is now available: SAP versioning, part 2 (why EHP7 contains SAP APPL 6.17)
- Read SAP Note 1566412 for a mapping between technical usages and software component versions for SAP ERP
- Overview on SAP Business Suite releases: Confused with different SAP Business Suite Releases ?? Read it !!
- Not completely up to date, but worth reading: SAP product naming confusion
- Learn details about product instances and Funtionally Equivalent Instances
Understanding Landscape Descriptions Part II: Products and Product Instances in Detail
- Learn about the Software Update Manager (SUM) that replaces the Enhancement Package Installer (EhpI):
Software Update Manager (SUM): introducing the tool for software maintenance
This blog intends to make you aware of the fact that product versions and software component versions have their own numbering - it still simplifies the picture. Figure 5 for example does only focus on the ABAP stack of SAP NetWeaver Process Integration (PI), although PI used to be a dual-stack, running a Java stack with java software components as well. Code line 7.20 (listed in brackets in figure 5) was only used for products based on the SAP NetWeaver Application Server Java, like Composition Environment (CE).
Regards, Boris Rubarth
[Product Management Software Logistic, SAP AG]