Setup example: BW Process Chain monitoring as part of Business Process Monitoring
This blog is the second part of a series describing best practices for BW Process Chain monitoring with SAP Solution Manager. You can read the first part of this series Best Practice: BW Process Chain monitoring with SAP Solution Manager - Part 1.
Before describing the single steps that need to be performed for setting up the BW Process Chain monitoring, we assume that the following steps are already performed:
- The BW system containing the process chains is successfully connected as a managed system in the Solution Manager.
- A solution containing the managed BW system is already created.
- The prerequisites mentioned in the first part of this series are met.
First of all we recommend creating a suitable structure in the "Business Scenarios" section of the Solution Directory (this can be found in the Solution Manager under "Solution Landscape Maintenance"). In our example we use the following structure:
Now we can start the "Setup Business Process Monitoring" session for our solution. The above created "Business Process" must be selected:
Then choose the process chains ("Business Process Steps") that you have maintained:
Now select the Monitoring Type "Background Processing":
Save your changes and proceed to the next check called "Background Processing". Here you have to choose an "Object identifier". Usually this identifier is identically to the name of your process chain. As "Job Type" you have to choose "BW Process Chain". The "Schedule Type" is usually "On Weekly Basis".
After saving your changes you have to provide the name of the process chain(s) that you want to monitor - in our case "DM_TEST_CHAIN_1". You can enter wildcards in the column "BW Process Chain ID" and search for the process chain in the managed BW system by choosing the option "Save + Check Identification". Then choose a process chain in the result list. Please enter "use chain start condition" as the "Start Procedure" of the process chain:
In the tab "Schedule on Weekly Basis", please activate the days on which you want to have the monitoring of the process chain(s) active:
Then, we need to enter the thresholds for the single key performance indicators that we want to monitor (e.g. "Start Delay", "Not Started on Time", ...). Additionally you can enter multiple chain elements. The same logic applies here: you have to enter and search for the "Process Type" and "Variant" of the single step of the Process Chain step and provide the thresholds. For example:
Finally, we need to generate and activate this monitor in the Solution Manager and the managed BW system. This can be done using the check "Generation/Activation/Deactivation":
Please note that the generating of the customizing and the activation must not result in errors.
Now you can switch to the "Operations" section of the solution. Here you will see now the previously created hierarchy in the Solution Directory that results in a graphical overview like this:
By clicking on the alert icon (in our example a red alert in the business scenario "BW Process Chains", business process "ERP Loads"), the Business Process Monitoring session starts and we can check for details on the alert(s) that have been raised:
By choosing the RSPC icon, you can directly jump into the managed BW system for further analysis of the alerts.
Frequently Asked Questions about Business Process Monitoring are answered under http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/SM/FAQ+Business+Process+Monitoring.
The previous blogs provide further details about Business Process Monitoring functionalities within the SAP Solution Manager.
- New Business Process Monitoring functionalities in SAP Solution Manager ALE / IDoc Monitoring
- New Business Process Monitoring functionalities in SAP Solution Manager qRFC Monitoring
- New Business Process Monitoring Functionalities in SAP Solution Manager - functionalities For Inconsistencies in SAP Solution Manager
- SAP Business Process Monitoring within SAP Solution Manager
- New Business Process Monitoring functionalities in SAP Solution Manager - BPMon Trend Analysis Reporting
- Best Practice: Business Process Monitoring for Manufacturing
- Best Practice: Business Process Monitoring for Procure to Pay
- Best Practice: Business Process Monitoring for Order to Cash
- Business Process Monitoring - Template configuration available for download
- FAQs about Business Process Monitoring
- Typical Use Cases for Business Process Monitoring in SAP Solution Manager
- New Business Process Monitoring functionalities in SAP Solution Manager - Customer Exit
- New key figure catalog for Business Process Monitoring available
- Why SAP offers different tools for Business Process Monitoring & Business Process Optimization
- Create your own auto-reaction messages in Business Process Monitoring via BAdI exit
- Protect your SAP ERP investment & improve your core business processes
- Refresh Solution Landscape cache for Business Process Operation Work Center