With the last week of 2012 racing by us, here’s a quick summary including hyperlinks on the Top 12 happenings in the world of Enterprise Mobility during the year. The pace of mobility change continues to take many enterprises and suppliers by surprise and will no doubt accelerate during 2013.
Our team can hardly wait …
- Singular and irrefutable evidence that the intersection of cloud, mobility and big data represents the largest industry triple point (and triple word score) in the enterprise today. Here’s the Gartner Nexus report detailing this industry intersection and another example of the unification occurring is Amazon’s EC2 SaaS engine. SAP’s President and Corporate Officer, Technology & Innovation Products, Head of Mobile Division Sanjay Poonen was part of Amazon’s first-ever Re:invent user conference keynote this year (YouTube , view 1:14.21 time code).
- Two major Mobile Operating systems continue to capture the hearts, minds and apps in the world of the enterprise – Apple iOS and Google Android. Yes others are attempting inroads such as Microsoft Windows 8 (SAP release) but today’s new generation of computing already has more app choices, power and form factors than the 3 last generations combined.
- Three new mobility webinar blueprints to share over the last 90 days: Gartner’s Phil Redman with AT&T, Samsung and SAP outling item #1 above; Gartner’s Monica Basso with Veliq and Swisscom detailing Cloud Mobility and Managed Services; and the SANS Institute publishing an industry-first guideline for Secure Mobile Asset Management regardless of enterprise architecture preferences.
- Four key markets that SAP offers enterprises to fully address their Mobility needs: Mobile Apps, both B2B and B2C via the SAP App Store; Mobile App Platform for App Development (MEAP) and mCommerce infrastructure; Enterprise Mobility Management (IDC leadership report) for securing apps, content and devices; and Managed Mobility Offerings for turn-key mobile services through many leading operators and consulting firms.
- Five different mobile areas were on center stage to 10,000+ enterprise customers and partners at SAPPHIRE 2012 Madrid this year discussing the full range of the SAP Mobile solution. While at my first SAPPPHIRE, I had the chance to lead an SAP Microforum presentation on the pros and cons around BYOD including the SAP internal onboarding portal located at www.Mysapdevice.com.
- Six great videos the SAP Mobile Channel (more than 150 to choose from now) on mobility topics including: Machine to Machine, Next Generation of Mobility and Security; the Mobility Design Center for building apps; the Secure Enterprise Lifecycle; Managing the rapid Influx of Devices in the Enterprise; a video summary of the Enterprise Mobility Dummies Guide (book reprint update coming in 2013); and details on the scalability of SAP Afaria to 40,000 internal SAP staffers.
- Seven as in the newest update of SAP Afaria 7 now in customers’ hands to deliver many EMM capabilities in high demand today including deep enterprise integration; Enhanced email access control; Application Management and portal additions; and Broad Samsung SAFE support for Android devices.
- Eight for Windows 8. SAP participated in the long-awaited launch by delivering Enhanced Enterprise Security, Apps and App Platform capabilities. SAP Developers built native apps and launched an updated Mobile Platform for Apps for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 as well as enhanced Enterprise Security through SAP Afaria software.
- Nine great Managed Mobility Offering (MMO) assets to help millions of SME and larger Fortune 100 enterprises move more rapidly into mobility without capital investment or internal IT re-engineering: MMS Video; Verizon MMO Customer Testimonial; Symphony Teleca Partner Video; CapGemini MMO details; SAPPHIRE Orlando 2012 MMO Ecosystem; MMO Customer Presentation with Danfoss; MMO Partner Panel with Swisscom, CapGemini and Atos; MMO Solution brief ; and a blog by MMO executive Willie Jow sums up a number of partner and enterprise advantages to managed services.
- Ten new enterprise mobility highlights including Network World Clear Choice leadership with SAP Afaria sharing top honors in this published test; Internet Telephony Product of the Year Honors; SANS Mobile Document & Content Management Policy, Selection Criteria Webinar and Blog by Milja Gillispie; IDC Mobile Enterprise Management leadership Press release and Report link; Gartner Nexus of Forces – Cloud, Mobility and Big Data Report reprint link; iOS 6 0 - iPhone 5 SAP press release link; SAP Afaria on Amazon Web Services information sheet; and Recent Mobility Infographics
Thanks for spending a few minutes reading and hopefully clicking on a few links to learn more. Here’s wishing you the best in 2013 and we’ll look forward to bringing you a few more mobility industry benchmarks in the next 12 months.