SAP NetWeaver Gateway (formerly called "Project Gateway") is a technology that provides a simple way to connect devices, environments and platforms to SAP software based on market standards. The framework enables development of innovative people centric solutions bringing the power of SAP business software into new experiences such as social and collaboration environments, mobile and tablet devices and rich internet applications. The framework also supports rapid innovation while ensuring security, integrity, management and optimized maintenance of the core SAP systems. Completely flexible, SAP NetWeaver Gateway offers connectivity to SAP applications using any programming language or model without the need for SAP knowledge by leveraging REST services and OData/ATOM protocols.
The software offers the following capabilities:
- OPEN - Any Device, Any Experience, Any Platform
- PEOPLE - Optimized for user interaction scenarios
- TIMELESS - Non disruptive, any SAP Business Suite version
- DEVELOPERS - Simple APIs, no SAP knowledge, any tool
- STANDARDS - Based on REST, ATOM/OData
For a short overview see this video on "180 seconds to know what is SAP NetWeaver Gateway".
See also the SAP NetWeaver Gateway Architecture.
The Value of SAP NetWeaver Gateway for Developers
This 'opens the door' for millions of developers who can use development tools of their choice to create highly innovative apps connecting to SAP software. Without the need to acquire SAP knowledge, developers can deliver apps running as interactive desktop and web experiences, within social environments, and on mobile devices and tablets that connect to SAP software*.*
Immediate support of an open and lean protocol: OData with SAP Annotations
- Gateway modeling tools permit no-code definition of tailored Public Solution Models (PSM)
- Widest choice of consumption technologies for mobile and web apps
- Access existing SAP backend functionality using the most appropriate format (Enterprise Service, RFC, BAPI)
- One-stop-shop for all service definition and consumption
- Intuitive adaptation modeling of target services
The Value of SAP NetWeaver Gateway for SAP Customers and Partners
SAP NetWeaver Gateway technology offers a value opportunity for customers to quickly developing, deploying and rolling out solutions to existing and new users.
Being a development framework, SAP NetWeaver Gateway enables Partners to deliver solutions quickly in short development cycles, in large volume with decreased development effort and cost. Since the technology is designed to support user facing Metadata models, these can be reused between applications and target client environments.
- Enable customers and partners to extend their business to any device or platform, like Mobile, Collaboration, Social Networks, Groupware Integration, Portals
- Value-added on top of existing SAP systems by Customers, Partners and SAP
- Enable agile development and deployment of light-weight apps
- Easy to use and based on standards tailored to the need of consumers
- Extend the reach of processes and compliance
- Reduction of TCO through standardized and timeless interfaces
- Decouple lifecycle of consumer apps from SAP Solutions
Latest Product Capabilities and Roadmap
With the shipment of the new Service Builder as part of SAP NetWeaver Gateway 2.0 SP5 early Oct. 2012 we have completely rebuilt the developer story for service provisioning on the ABAP stack. Besides supporting the professional ABAP developer, we now also allow the code-free generation of OData service based on RFCs/BAPIs as well as on a number of business object frameworks like SPI, GenIL, BW Easy Query. Different to our tools support up to SP3, this is now also possible for all NW 7.x releases, on any Suite backend and in an extensible fashion on top of the Gateway Core programming model OData Channel. SAP NetWeaver Gateway is used as a key enabling technology for SAP Business Suite future versions as well as is integrated with the Sybase Unwired Platform.
Here are some key assets to help you understand the SP5 capabilities:
· the various supported development approaches are introduced in a blog on SCN
-· in a introductory video on YouTube we illustrate the end-2-end developer story around Service Builder
· How-to videos in the Gateway channel on YouTube, explaining typical development scenarios and applications powered by NetWeaver Gateway in all details