The information on this page is valid for all SAP applications which agree with the General Support Statement for Virtual Environments (see SAP Note 1492000).
For support information on SAP HANA and SAP HANA-related applications with VMware vSphere, see the page SAP HANA on VMware vSphere.
- vSphere 6.0 SAP support got recently released for all SAP applications which agree with the General Support Statement for Virtual Environments (see SAP Note 1492000). vSphere 6.0 can now get used to virtualize these production and non-production SAP applications running on Windows and Linux OS. For details check out SAP Note 1409608 and 1122388.
- We have lately seen some issues with VMs freezing intermittently under heavy I/O load. We strongly recommend to read VMware KB 2088157 and to proactively apply the recommended vSphere patch available for your version.
SAP Notes Related to VMware
For a list of SAP Notes that are related to the use of SAP applications on VMware products, see SAP Notes Related to VMware.
Supported SAP Applications
With the General Support Statement for Virtual Environments (SAP Note 1492000), SAP supports almost all its applications on a proven stack of virtualization solution, operating system and database.
Therefore all SAP applications - except the following - are supported on the stack of VMware vSphere, guest OS and database versions listed on this page:
- SAP HANA and SAP HANA-related applications (for support, check SAP HANA on VMware vSphere)
- NetWeaver MDM
- SAP ITS 6.20
Supported Guest Operating Systems by SAP
The table below provides a short overview on supported guest operating systems. For prerequisites and configuration details for support, check SAP Note 1409608 on Windows and SAP Note 1122387 on Linux.
For a detailed list of supported guest operating systems on VMware vSphere, please read the Guest OS Compatibility Guide.
|VMware vSphere 4.x, 5.x, 6.0|
|Windows Server 2003||supported|
|Windows Server 2008||supported|
|Windows Server 2008 R2||supported|
|Windows Server 2012||supported|
|Windows Server 2012 R2||supported|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5||supported|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6||supported|
|SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8||supported|
|SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9||supported|
|SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10||supported|
|SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11||supported|
The table below provides a short overview on supported databases. For detailed information on support of your database product, check the relevant SAP Notes listed below.
|VMware vSphere 4.x, 5.x, 6.0|
|IBM DB2||supported cond. (*1)|
|MaxDB, livecache||supported (*2)|
|Microsoft SQL Server||supported|
|Oracle Database||supported cond. (*3)|
|SAP ASE||supported (*4)|
|SAP IQ||supported (*5)|
|SAP HANA||supported cond. (*6)|
(*1) only for specified DB, VMware and guest OS versions listed in SAP Note 1130801 and http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/display/im/DB2+Virtualization+Support
(*2) see SAP Note 1142243
(*4) released as of SAP ASE version 15.7; see SAP Note 1706801
(*5) released as of SAP IQ version 15.4, see VMware document SAP Sybase IQ on VMware vSphere
(*6) For support information on SAP HANA and SAP HANA-related applications with VMware vSphere, see the page SAP HANA on VMware vSphere.
Frequently Asked Questions
For a list of frequently asked questions for the operation on SAP applications with VMware vSphere, check Frequently Asked Questions: VMware vSphere.
Getting Started and VMware Documents regarding SAP Products
- SAP VMware Alliance webpage, see SAP Virtualization and VMware: Run SAP Virtual
- For the operation of SAP software with VMware, see VMware documents regarding SAP products
- For high availability with VMware, see High Availability Solutions for SAP on VMware
- For Customer Case Studies with SAP on VMware, see http://www.vmware.com/business-critical-apps/sap-virtualization/customer-success.html.
- For consulting services with VMware, see Joint consulting services from SAP and VMware
- Blog: VMware - Business Critical Applications - SAP