Easier and More Reliable Software Provisioning
Software provisioning manager 1.0 is the successor of the product- and release-specific delivery of provisioning tools. It provides the latest SAPinst version with software provisioning services (for example, including system installation and copy) for several products and releases for all platforms, enabling you to profit directly from up-to-date procedures powered by a reliable tool available and used for years.
Always the Latest Features, Coverage and Fixes of Reliable Procedures
By always downloading the latest version of software provisioning manager 1.0, you automatically get support of the latest products, versions and platform support – including latest fixes in the tool and supported processes. You can use one tool version for tasks performed for a set of product versions in your system landscape.
This is a major improvement compared to our former approach that looked as follows:
- Get the right media:
- Identify the right media (DVD, Blu-ray, archive) by reading the documentation
- Find and get the identified media (for example, by searching in an installation package or by searching in SAP Service Marketplace or on file servers)
- Apply required fixes:
- Check what issues have to be considered before using the tool (by scanning through a long list of issues provided in the corresponding SAP Notes) - including possible adaptions of the installation media due to new operating system and database versions not supported by the old versions
- Apply fixes to relevant issues (for example, by adapting or replacing files or considering special procedures)
This long and error-prone preparational process is now made easier for more and more products with the software provisioning manager 1.0 that you can download always from the same location and use for several products.
SAP recommends that you always download the latest Support Package of the software provisioning manager 1.0, as it contains latest corrections and is updated regularly – even if you have installation media available!
- For more general information about the concept, see theOverview presentation and this blog.
- For more information about how to use the software provisioning manager 1.0, see the presentationTechnical details.
- For frequently asked questions, see the document FAQ - System Installation.
- The following video shows a demo of the dialog phase of an installation procedure with software provisioning manager 1.0 (duration 6 minutes):
Software provisioning manager 1.0 is available via the Software Logistics Toolset. For more information, see SAP Service Marketplace at service.sap.com/sltoolset and the blog The Delivery Channel for Software Logistics Tools.
Software provisioning manager 1.0 SP02 can be used for the following products and releases:
- Products based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0x
- Products based on SAP NetWeaver 7.1x
- SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment 7.2
- Products based on SAP NetWeaver 7.3x
- Products based on SAP NetWeaver 7.4x
- All including standalone engines (such as SAP liveCache)
For more information, see SAP Note 1680045.
Influence the future of software provisioning procedures by collaborating on ideas for new features in SAP Idea Place, the public channel to participate in innovation at SAP. Software provisioning belongs to the idea session Software Logistics, category Solution Implementation. Submit new ideas, vote for existing ideas and connect directly with the team at SAP that is in charge of procedures based on software provisioning manager 1.0!
- To plan your installation, use the Master Guide (SMP login required) available for each SAP application.
- After the successful installation of a new SAP system with software provisioning manager 1.0, you can use the Technical Configuration for the automated configuration of SAP NetWeaver. Especially for SAP NetWeaver ABAP 7.4, we offer the automated initial setup with the ABAP task manager.
- To build up a three-system landscape with development, test and production system, use the System Copy tools provided by SAP.