Software provisioning manager 1.0 offers the execution of many system provisioining tasks and covers a broad range of platforms and products, both on the ABAP and the Java technology. Whether you are going to copy an SAP NetWeaver system, rename an SAP Business Suite system, or install a standalone engine (such as SAP liveCache), you can handle all these tasks with software provisioning manager 1.0 flexible and reliable on all supported platforms and all with the same look-and-feel and behavior.
Concept of Software Provisioning Manager 1.0
Easier and More Reliable Software Provisioning
Software provisioning manager 1.0 is the successor of the product- and release-specific delivery of provisioning tools. It provides the latest SAPinst version with software provisioning services for several products and releases for all platforms, enabling you to profit directly from up-to-date procedures powered by a reliable tool available and used for years.
Always the Latest Features, Coverage and Fixes of Reliable Procedures
By always downloading the latest version of software provisioning manager 1.0, you automatically get support of the latest products, versions and platform support – including latest fixes in the tool and supported processes. You can use one tool version for tasks performed for a set of product versions in your system landscape.
This is a major improvement compared to our former approach that looked as follows:
- Get the right tool for your product and platform
- Apply required fixes:
- Check what issues have to be considered before using the tool (by scanning through a long list of issues provided in the corresponding SAP Notes) - including possible adaptions of the installation media due to new operating system and database versions not supported by the old versions
- Apply fixes to relevant issues (for example, by adapting or replacing files or considering special procedures)
This long and error-prone preparational process is now made easier for more and more products with the software provisioning manager 1.0 that you can download always from the same location and use for several products.
SAP recommends that you always download the latest Support Package of the software provisioning manager 1.0, as it contains latest corrections and is updated regularly – even if you have installation media available!
Covered Use CasesSoftware provisioning manager covers the following use cases:
- Dual-stack split (newly integrated*)
- System copy and migration
- System installation
- System rename (newly integrated*)
- For more general information about the concept, see the overview presentation and this blog.
- For more information about how to use the software provisioning manager 1.0, see the presentation Technical Details.
- See this document for features of the software provisioning process.
- For frequently asked questions, see the document FAQ - System Installation.
- For information how to accelerate the restart time of software provisioning manager 1.0 after an issue during the execution phase, see this blog from Stefan Seemann.
- The following video shows a demo of the dialog phase of an installation procedure with software provisioning manager 1.0 (duration 6 minutes):
Influence the future of software provisioning procedures by collaborating on ideas for new features in SAP Idea Place, the public channel to participate in innovation at SAP. Software provisioning belongs to the idea session Software Logistics, category Solution Implementation. Submit new ideas, vote for existing ideas and connect directly with the team at SAP that is in charge of procedures based on software provisioning manager 1.0!
Software provisioning manager 1.0 is available via the Software Logistics Toolset. For more information, see SAP Service Marketplace at service.sap.com/sltoolset and the blog The Delivery Channel for Software Logistics Tools.
For more information about the product versions supported by software provisioning manager 1.0, see SAP Note 1680045.
Faster Delivery Cycle for SAP HANA
Customers can fully benefit from the latest corrections regarding performance, robustness, and scale-out through a faster delivery cycle option in software provisioning manager. Latest versions continue to be made available via the Software Logistics Toolset (SMP login required), as outlined above.
This accelerated delivery option is especially important for customers performing a classical migrating of ABAP systems to SAP HANA (that is, the heterogeneous system copy using the classical migration tools software provisioning manager 1.0 and R3load) - for more information about latest corrections in software provisioning manager for the migration to SAP HANA, see the corresponding section on the System Copy and Migration page in the SAP Community Network.