SAP HANA Developer Edition
Interested in developing on SAP HANA? You are in the right place.
SAP HANA is not a download. It is a server platform, available on the cloud or as an appliance in your data center. To get started with SAP HANA, pick one of the cloud providers below to get your server started.
Here is what you get:
- A free perpetual license to build, test and demo applications that use SAP HANA
- A cloud-based server environment with SAP HANA DB pre-installed - you know that SAP HANA is sold as an appliance, and this is sort of a "virtual appliance". Bear in mind that although the developer license is free of charge, the server is not - the cloud providers will charge you for their hosting service.
- You can also get a free trial of SAP Lumira Desktop (fka. SAP Visual Intelligence) - hook it up to your personal SAP HANA instance and explore your data in real-time.
What if I want to purchase an SAP HANA Server?
Is this the same as SAP HANA One?
|Cloud Partner||Description||Instance Info||Price|
SAP HANA CLOUD PLATFORM
trial instance of
A free developer account on the SAP HANA Cloud Platform
Provided to you with a free and perpetual developer license which you accept when you create your free developer account. You can use such an account to try and test out the platform.
- Shared server
- 1 GB Storage
Microsoft Azure Cloud
(Using SAP Cloud
Getting started with Microsoft Azure through the SAP Cloud Appliance Library
HANA SP8 (release 80) on Microsoft Azure
Introducing our newest cloud partner: Microsoft Azure. Create and run your own SAP HANA Developer Edition on the Microsoft Azure Cloud.
Start your SAP HANA Developer Edition on the Microsoft Azure Cloud, an open and flexible cloud platform that enables you to quickly build, deploy and manage applications across a global network of Microsoft-managed datacenters. You can build applications using any language, tool or framework. And you can integrate your public cloud applications with your existing IT environment.
- SAP does not charge for the HANA software, but there are charges for the Microsoft Azure instance. For more information, click on the price calculator to the right.
|Microsoft Azure Price calculator|
Amazon Web Services
(Using SAP Cloud
Getting started with Amazon AWS through the SAP Cloud Appliance Library
HANA SP8 (release 80) on Amazon AWS
Create and run your own SAP HANA, developer edition environment on Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud.
Run your SAP HANA, developer edition environment on the secure, highly scalable, and low cost elastic cloud infrastructure on the AWS Cloud. With AWS there is no need to procure IT infrastructure weeks or months in advance, so you can create and run a developer environment in minutes, scale your environment according to workload or demand, and pay only for the resources used.
- There is no SAP charge for the SAP HANA, developer edition license, but you will be responsible for opening and operating your own AWS account*. There are two different high-memory instance sizes available to run SAP HANA, developer edition on AWS. To learn more about pricing options, visit the Amazon EC2 Pricing page.
- The AWS flexible and open platform supports a wide variety languages and operating systems so you can choose the development platform or programming model that best suits your needs.
- AWS offers a secure, durable technology platform with industry-recognized certifications and audits.
- Utilize other AWS cloud infrastructure services as well as a host of other third-party development tools already available on AWS.
- AWS provides a massive global cloud infrastructure that allows you to quickly innovate, experiment and iterate.
- AWS offers low, pay-as-you-go pricing with no up-front expenses or long-term commitments.
*Standard AWS charges and fees will apply.
- 8 cores
- 68.4GB RAM
- 127GB disk
|Amazon AWS price calculator|
Want your own SAP HANA Server?
SAP HANA is only available as a cloud based solution. SAP has joined forces with several cloud providers to give you a choice of infrastructure platforms, with Developer Editions provided by SAP at no additional cost.
Is this the same as SAP HANA One?
You may have heard of SAP HANA One, a cloud-based SAP HANA Database that is sold via AWS Marketplace. So how is this different from these offerings? And which HANA do you want??
The main difference is in the license. The developer edition offered here only allows you to develop, test and demo HANA applications. You don't get the right to use those applications productively on the developer edition or sell the apps as a cloud-based service. For that, you need to move to HANA One. HANA One license allows you to use your HANA application in production. HANA One can also be used, as part of the OEM program, to sell HANA One Applications to your customers.
If you are exploring HANA or developing a HANA app, HANA One will be a more expensive option. Check out this comparison between SAP HANA One Business Edition and the developer edition offered here.