You can now create your own HANA developer environment on CloudShare!
SAP won't charge you anything for the license, but you will be responsible for operating your own CloudShare account. Together with our friends at CloudShare, we have created a preconfigured HANA environment for you. The environment comes with the HANA server as well as a development VM including preconfigured development tools, and a total of 24 GB RAM offered directly on CloudShare’s site for $137 per month.
How to create your own SAP HANA, developer edition on CloudShare
- An SCN user account - if you don't have one yet, you can register free of charge here.
- Make sure you are logged in before proceeding to the next steps.
Part 1 - Accept the SAP Developer License Agreement on SCN
Already have a SCN account? Then you're ready to create your own HANA DB server on CloudShare. The whole process should take less than 5 minutes.
- Make sure you are logged in to SCN. Should you be directed to the SCN Home Page at any time during the click-through procedure, you got logged out of the system. In that case, simply click the "Login" button at the top of the page and the process will continue where you left off.
- Start here. Complete the required profile data and click the "Next" button.
- Enter your (desired or existing) CloudShare Pro Plus user name (see pre-requisites) and click the "Next" button
- Confirm your data by clicking the "Confirm" button
- Read the license agreement carefully and, if you agree, click the "Accept" button.
Part 2 - Create your own SAP HANA environment on CloudShare
- Step 1:The only way to register and provision the SAP HANA environment at CloudShare for the first time is via SCN. Once you have completed the SCN registration the HANA environment will be created automatically. For subsequent sessions you can simply login to CloudShare to access your HANA environment.
- Step 2: CloudShare launches the environment as a 48 hour trial. You must complete the purchasing steps within 48 hours or the environment will be deleted.
- Step 3: Purchase a CloudShare subscription by clicking on the “Purchase License” button.
- Step 4: Complete the purchase using a credit card by completing the billing information form and clicking the submit button:
- Step 5: The environment provisioning takes a few minutes. You will see a status bar showing the environment provisioning status. Once it completes you can simply click on the “view machine” link to connect to any of the machines in your environment.
Congratulations! You're done creating your own HANA environment on CloudShare!
Part 3 - Download and install SAP HANA Studio and SAP HANA Client to your local computer (optional)
The CloudShare environment contains a client machine with all of the SAP tools pre-installed. However, you may want to install these tools on your local computer and use the CloudShare environment as your server. You can now download SAP HANA Studio, developer edition and SAP HANA Client, developer edition.
- Make sure you are logged in to SCN.
- Accept the License Agreement (again, make sure to read it carefully, even though you already know it) and start the download by selecting the archive you want to download and clicking the "I Agree - Download selected file" button.
- Once the archive is completely downloaded, unpack it and run hdbsetup.exe
Part 4 - Connect to your local SAP HANA Studio and Sap HANA Client to your HANA server on CloudShare (optional)
If you have installed the SAP tools on your local computer you can connect to your CloudShare HANA environment using the following steps:
- Log on to CloudShare and view your SAP HANA environment. If your environment was suspended, viewing it will resume it.
- Locate the “External Address” for your SAP HANA server. You will need it to connect to your HANA environment in CloudShare from your local HANA Studio. You will find the external hostname in the more details section of the main environment page:
- Open SAP HANA Studio and choose either the Administration Console or Modeler perspective.
- In the Navigator Panel, right-click the empty space and choose "Add System..." from the context menu
- On the popup, enter
- Your external hostname
- 00 as System Number
- Any name for your HANA server as Description
- Click "Next". On the next screen, enter
- SYSTEM as User Name
- manager as Password. You can change the default password later from HANA Studio.
- Click "Finish", wait to the system connection to appear in you Navigator panel with a green status icon and you are officially done!
Part 5 - Logon to the Linux OS of your CloudShare Environment
To connect to any of the machines in your CloudShare environment simply click the “view machine” button. Each machine will have at least one type of connection available. There may be multiple options (console, ssh, RDP) depending on your browser and the configuration of the CloudShare portal.
Some corporate firewalls may not allow SSH. You may have to work with your IT organization to resolve this. Please run the CloudShare test page to test your connection: http://test.cloudshare.com
User hdbadm owns sap software in the Linux machine. To restart HANA DB without restarting the entire Linux machine, switch to user hdbadm and perform stop and start operations using the following commands
- su - hdbadm
- ./HDB stop: Command to stop HANA DB
- ./HDB start: Command to start HANA DB
The default password of user hdbadm is HANAabcd1234 (don't forget to change it with the passwd command)
Where to get help
If you read your license agreement carefully, you know that the SAP HANA Developer License is free of charge (except for your hosting cost on CloudShare), but comes without SAP product support. For questions, please (1) check our FAQ, (2) seek help on our discussion forum and should all other options fail, (3) send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For CloudShare related questions please visit the CloudShare Support Portal.