If you want to migrate an existing SAP system (running on anyDB) to a SAP HANA database, required steps may be a dual-stack split, a unicode conversion, a database upgrade of anyDB, an upgrade of your SAP software, and a database migration to SAP HANA. The Software Update Manager (SUM) includes an option that combines the upgrade with the database migration "database migration option" (DMO) for SUM. It is sometimes referred to as the one-step migration procedure, compared to the classical migration (i.e. heterogenous system copy, using Software Provisioning Manager).
The DMO is an inplace-migration (instead of a new installation): it upgrades and migrates the existing system while keeping the system-ID, host name, and connectivity settings stable.
DMO for SAP NetWeaver BW and for SAP Business Suite systems
DMO is available with Software Update Manager 1.0 SP09 and higher, and can be used for systems based on AS ABAP. It can be used for SAP BW systems from 7.0 SP17 (and higher) to migrate to 7.31 (and higher). And it can be used for systems like SAP R/3 4.6C or systems part of the SAP Business Suite 7.0 (and higher) to migrate to a level corresponding to SAP BASIS 7.40 (for example "SAP enhancement package 7 for SAP ERP 6.0").
DMO processing overview
The processing sequence is based on the shadow system functionality of SUM: the SUM creates the shadow repository on the traditional database until downtime phase, while in parallel the SAP HANA database is setup (client, schema, ...). Then the shadow repository is copied to SAP HANA, the database connection of the SAP system is switched to SAP HANA database, and then the downtime starts. After migration of the application data (including data conversion), the upgrade is finalized and the SAP system runs on SAP HANA. The traditional database continues to run and the application data in it are not modified, so it remains a fallback throughout the complete process.
DMO is using SAPUI5
Althought DMO is based on the "standard" SUM, a new user interface (UI) is used. The UI is based on SAPUI5, so it's running in a browser, and offers some comfortable features like checking the log files without having to log on to the OS of the application server. The new UI is meanwhile the default also for other SUM scenarios like update/upgrade (but not yet for the maintenance of a dual-stack system).
Please note that for a SAP Business Suite system based on SAP NetWeaver 7.40 (i.e. systems part of SAP Business Suite 7 Innovations 2013), your SAP NetWeaver Hubs must be on 7.30 or higher. For details, see http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SLGB/Strategy+beyond+SAP+Business+Suite+7+Innovations+2011
SAP Note 2161397 on Database Migration Option for SUM 1.0 SP14
- Use the quicklink /sltoolset in SAP Service Marketplace, choose "SL Toolset 1.0",
scroll down to the table of documentation, open section "system maintenance"
- SAP First Guidance - Migration BW on HANA using the DMO option in SUM
Blogs on DMO
- Migration to SAP HANA: Overview Video of Database Migration Option DMO
- DMO: introducing the new UI
- DMO: technical background
- DMO: background on table split mechanism
- DMO: optimizing system downtime ...
- DMO: table comparison and migration tools
- DMO: introducing the benchmarking tool
- DMO: comparing pipe and file mode for R3load
- DMO: downtime optimization by migrating app tables during uptime (preview)
- Phases behind DMO R3load parallel export/import during UPTIME and DOWNTIME to target HANA DB
Blogs on related topics
- Migration of SAP Systems to SAP HANA
- A better way to migrate your SAP NetWeaver BW from any database to SAP HANA
- Decision Matrix to Choose Best Migration Option of ABAP Systems to SAP HANA
- Software Update Manager (SUM): introducing the tool for software maintenance
- Best Practice Guide - Classical Migration of SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP to SAP HANA
SAP Education offering
- HA250: "Migration to SAP HANA using DMO" - two days classroom training
Watch out for more details in further blogs that will be listed here as well.
Product Management, Software Logistics, SAP AG