With the release of SAP HANA SPS 05, SAP announced support for VMware hypervisor, as the first technology supported to partition a SAP HANA server into smaller partitions / VMs. Meanwhile SAP has further extended its support to run SAP HANA in a virtualized / partitioned (multi-tenant) environments, by adding additional scenarios and technologies supported.
See SAP Note 1788665 and attached SAP HANA technology roadmap for running on virtualized / partitioned platforms for more information on currently supported scenarios and where to find further information on best practices and constraints which may apply.
In short, current SAP HANA support covers:
- General support for SAP HANA on VMware vSphere 5.1 in non-production
- General support for single SAP HANA VMs on VMware vSphere 5.5 in production and non-production
- Controlled Availability for multi-VM and BW on HANA scale-out scenarios on VMware vSphere 5.5 in production
- Controlled Availability for Hitachi LPAR (single and multiple partitions) in production
On our roadmap for future support are:
- Support of larger VMs and 8-socket hardware with VMware vSphere 6
- Support for Multi-VM and Scale-Out in GA
See above referenced SAP Note and slide deck for additional information and details.