Link back to: SAP on HP-UX Best Practices - Contents
Last update: 14th April 2011
Useful SAP information sources
- SAP Market Place: http://service.sap.com
- SAP Note access:
- Via SAPgui OSS Connection
- Via SAP Market Place (S-user login required)
- Via SAP SDN search (SDN Login required)
- SAP SDN
- Database and Operating Systems
- SAP on DB2 (DB6)
- SAP on MaxDB
- Not authorized to view the specified document 8179
- Not authorized to view the specified document 8026
- SAP on UNIX
Useful HP-UX Information sources on hp.com
- HP-UX http://www.hp.com/go/hpux
- HP-UX Performance http://www.hp.com/go/hpux11iperformance
- General HP-UX Documentation: http://www.hp.com/go/hpux-core-docs
- HP-UX Manpages http://www.hp.com/go/hpux-manpage-docs
- HP-UX Clickable Manpages http://www.hp.com/go/hpux-clickable-manpages
- Search for HP product documentation, White Papers
- HP-UX 11i Knowledge-on-Demand: Best practices http://www.hp.com/go/kod
- HP & SAP Alliance Website: http://www.hp.com/go/sap
- HP and SAP alliance
- SAP Technology Partners - HP and SAP
Which SAP software is supported on HP-UX?
- Support for individual SAP applications should be checked on the (Product Availability Matrix) at
For a consolidated overview of major SAP products and Database versions available on HP-UX 11.31, please see SAP Note 1031960
SAP Support of "ARIES" (PA-RISC emulation) on HP-UX Itanium/IA64
In general SAP does not support the use of PA-RISC executables on the Itanium/IA64 platform. One exception to this is ADS (Adobe Document Services), please see SAP note 1133230 for more details.
If in doubt use the unix command "file" to check if the executable (e.g. disp+work) is for "PA-RISC" or "IA64" (Itanium).
HP-UX Operating System and Server support
SAP certification and support of applications for HP-UX is based on HP-UX version and not connected to any specific server model. See SAP Note 84855.
The following information refers only to the support of the Operating System and Server from HP, and not the support of SAP applications.
- SAP Note 939891
- Official "HP-UX Operating System Release History" on hp.com
- For detailed information regarding support timeframes of HP-UX versions and specific HP-UX Servers see: http://www.hp.com/go/hpuxservermatrix
SAP support for HP Servers based on Intel Itanium "Tukwila" processors
SAP certifies UNIX Systems (e.g. HP-UX) based on operating system version and not hardware, see SAP Note 84855.
Since HP Tukwila based Servers also run HP-UX 11.31 (also known as HP-UX 11iv3) then all SAP products supporting HP-UX 11.31 are also supported on HP Tukwila based servers.
- "Tukwila" is the Intel codename for the latest Itanium processor, also known as "Intel Itanium 9300 Series"
- Intel White Paper on the Itanium Tukwila processor: "The Intel Itanium Processor 9300 Series"
- HP Paper: HP-UX 11i compatibility for HP Integrity and HP 9000 servers
- The following HP Servers offer "Tukwila" processors:
General SAP Migration Information
SAP Migration Solutions and Services from HP
- HP "Migration in a Box"
- HP Services SAP express migration
- HP SAP Migration Services
- HP Smooth Transition Method (HPSTM). Contact HP for details at firstname.lastname@example.org
PA-RISC to Itanium
- Migration between HP-UX platforms (PA-RISC to Itanium and Itanium to PA_RISC) is basically a homogeneous system copy, no database export or import is necessary.
For information on HP storage based system copy solutions, see the "Storage" section below.
For further information on HP-UX migrations:
- SAP Note 612796 "Move to HP-UX Itanium systems"
- SAP Note 671804 "Oracle database migration from HP-UX PA-Risc to Itanium"
- Transition SAP environments from HP-UX 11i on HP 9000 servers to HP-UX 11i on Integrity servers
- Oracle Database migration between HP 9000 and HP Integrity platforms under HP-UX 11i
- Integrity Blade Server + SAN Infrastructure for SAP
Other Platform to HP-UX
Migration from other Platforms to HP-UX requires a heterogeneous systems copy. Since a full DB export and import is typically too slow for a migration, HP Services offers a number of accelerated migration methodologies, see the "SAP Migration Solutions and Services from HP" section above.
- The High-Availability solution for HP-UX is Serviceguard. For further information see:
- Documentation: HP-UX High-Availability http://www.hp.com/go/hpux-serviceguard-docs
- Knowledge-on-Demand Webcast: The tools to manage your Serviceguard environment
Serviceguard Extension for SAP (SGeSAP)
- HP Serviceguard cluster software offers full SAP Integration called "Serviceguard Extensions for SAP" (SGeSAP)
High-Availability combined with dynamic resource management
- By combining Serviceguard solutions with dynamic resource management it is possible to make cluster solutions more cost effective by allowing Hardware usage entitlements to follow applications, thus ensuring that critical applications always have sufficient resources and reducing the costs of otherwise "idle" hardware.
High-Availability and HPVM
- Designing high-availability solutions with HP Serviceguard and HP Integrity Virtual Machines
- Using HP Serviceguard to manage HP Integrity Virtual Machines
HP offers a wide range of storage systems and solutions to support SAP environments.
For general information of HP storage and solutions offerings see http://www.hp.com/go/storageworks
HP Storage White Papers for SAP
- HP StorageWorks solutions for SAP http://www.hp.com/go/storageworks/SAP
- HP StorageWorks Enterprise Virtual Array configuration guide for SAP Business Suite
- HP StorageWorks EVA Disk Array for SAP Using Solid State Drives
- HP StorageWorks XP Disk Array configuration guide for SAP Business Suite
- HP StorageWorks XP Thin Provisioning for SAP landscapes
- HP StorageWorks XP Disk Array configuration guide for SAP using Solid State Drives and Thin Provisioning
- HP StorageWorks Modular Smart Array configuration guide for SAP Business Suite
SAP System Copy using HP Storage technologies
- HP StorageWorks System Copy Software for SAP http://www.hp.com/go/systemcopy
- HP System Copy Software for SAP With SAP Test Data Migration Server (TDMS) - Whitepaper
- HP StorageWorks System Copy Software for use with SAP Solutions on HP StorageWorks Disk Array white paper