Applying Solution Manager 7.0 Enhancement Pack 1
We recently went through the Solution Manager upgrade cycle at AusPost. We were on SolMan 7.0 and in our bid to upgrade it, we came across Enhancement Pack 1 (EHP1) also known as SPS 18.
EHP1 Value Proposition at AusPost
Apart from software currency, we read about the rich functionality EHP1 would bring to SolMan 7.0. We were keenly interested in the Work Centre concept of grouping new and improved functionality. The top five new functionality interests include:-
NetWeaver Business Client (NWBC) integration for SolMan
Wizard based SMD (diagnostics) and Wily Introscope agent deployment
Integrated BI central reporting history (CPH) reporting
Automatic maintenance of the SMSY system landscape using the central SLD
Plan your system landscape well
Be warned, unless you have a non-production SolMan system you will need to back up (and hold your breath) often. My suggestion is to get yourself a Sandpit SolMan where you can test maintenance before productionising the process. Take the opportunity to line up your SLDs and deploy some nice snapshot technology using IBM FlashCopy SE or similar.
Around 2 years ago, SolMan was installed on a Linux Server under my desk – to generate install keys. These days, SolMan has become a mission critical application. Keep this in mind when locating your Production SolMan system – or be prepared to move (or reinstall) it later.
Make sure you place the Production SolMan on scalable infrastructure like IBM PowerVM or similar. All new functionality obviously needs processor power. Please also consider disk IO rates, Tier 3 disks just won’t cut it when using Wily Introscope or Central NWA to manage a large landscape.
Essential reading for EHP1 installation
As always, read all the right documentation and download the latest SAP notes. Here is a list of the essential reading:-
- www.service.sap.com/instguides --> Solution Managger EHP1
SAP EHP1 for Solution Manager 7.0 Configuration guide
SAP EHP1 for SAP NetWeaver 7.0 using SAINT/JSPM
Master Guide SAP EHP1 for SAP Solution Manager 7.0
System preparation for EHP1 installation
The following are a collection of things we did before launching into EHP1:-
- Upgrade Solution Manager to SPS 17 first
- Apply ST-ICO 150 SP13
- Apply SPAM/SAINT Version 33
- Apply for and install SolMan maintenance certificate
- Upgrade Kernel to 7.01 (including SAPCAR, tp and R3trans)
- Fix permissions on saposcol
- Import BI or PI content add-on (if applicable)
- Download EPH1/701SP2 and load into /usr/sap/trans/EPS/in
- Don’t be tempted to take EPH1/701SP3 (not ready until April)
- Do the training at www.service.sap.com/rkt-solman
The order of EPH1 maintenance
- At the time of writing the SAP Enhancement Pack Installer (SAPephi) was not released for SolMan 7.0
Things to consider after the upgradete
- Run SGEN for ABAP and WebDynpro (or system will be sluggish)
- Run report SM_BASIC_SETTINGS using SICF_INST
- Read the SAP Enhancemant Package 1 Configuration guide
The quality of assistance from our Maximum Attention consultant was invaluable. The Maximum Attention gig is now becoming more common place in the industry, and paying dividends at AusPost.
Lastly, always work with a Basis guy who is not afraid to land and productionise the new functionality.