Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow modifications? What is your companies process?

0 Kudos

Hello. In general, we do not allow our development teams to modify SAP code and/or objects. With the exception of SAP OSS notes.

However, there are times when a modification may be necessary. We typically will request, when possible, that they use Append Structures for tables, or write a Z-program for ABAP.

What is your companies policy on allowing modifications to your SAP system? And, who in your organization oversee's, evaluates requests, and polices this?

thanks for your comments!

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Well at my company, we do not allow for modifications of standard objects aside from the user exits within SD. This is not a harden fast rule, but a preference. There have been occasions where it was a must, two that come to mind is the standard program for uploading routings via LSMW, and the other is within the CO40 transaction. The first was to help with messaging since the standard didn't provide good messasges to the user, the second was a performance issue which we went thru OSS, but they said that is the way it should be and we are not changing it. Both worked out good for us, but of course we need to take a second look when upgrading. I am the only developer here, so it is easy to manage the modification, and the rule of thumb is, if we absolutly must, then ok, but make sure you explore other alternatives first.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

2 REPLIES 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

it is all depends on customer requirement,if they need then we are going to change standards..

and we do all cross checking before modification and checks the data on diffrent condition

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Well at my company, we do not allow for modifications of standard objects aside from the user exits within SD. This is not a harden fast rule, but a preference. There have been occasions where it was a must, two that come to mind is the standard program for uploading routings via LSMW, and the other is within the CO40 transaction. The first was to help with messaging since the standard didn't provide good messasges to the user, the second was a performance issue which we went thru OSS, but they said that is the way it should be and we are not changing it. Both worked out good for us, but of course we need to take a second look when upgrading. I am the only developer here, so it is easy to manage the modification, and the rule of thumb is, if we absolutly must, then ok, but make sure you explore other alternatives first.

Regards,

Rich Heilman