cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSI errror 2203 when installing the new 7.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello gurus,

Trying to install the PI7.1 while in the sapinst pahse "install common system files" it tries to run the patch from the NTPATCH directory, called: vcredist_x64.msi.

I get window with:

Running msiexec failed with return code 1603: Fatal error during installation.
Commandline was msiexec.exe /norestart /L vcredist_x64.log /i Y:\PI7.1_installation\master7.1\IM_WINDOWS_X86_64_ORA\NTPATCH\vcredist_x64.msi /qn

while in the log directory I get:

DEBUG: Error 2203:  Database: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\3347f671.ipi. Cannot open database file. System error -2147024629
MSI (s) (84:7C) [08:18:19:860]: Product: Microsoft redistributable runtime DLLs VS2005 SP1(x86_x64) -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2203. The arguments are: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\3347f671.ipi, -2147024629, 

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2203. The arguments are: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\3347f671.ipi, -2147024629, 
Action ended 8:18:19: InstallInitialize. Return value 3.
Action ended 8:18:19: INSTALL. Return value 3.

Any ideas ?

Please advice,

Dimitry Haritonov

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Error 1603 usually says some kind of access denied or permission problem.

1. check that you have local administrator rights on the server.

2. check the the installation folder is locally on the computer (and you are not trying to install from a share on the network).

3. check that you don't have anything else running msiexec.exe (some other installation) - maybe a different installation.

4. install from an interactive console session, not from Terminal.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to reiterate.  Changing the environment variables on Windows did resolve this issue in my case which is a fresh installation of Solution Manager 7.1 SPS 08.

sapinst set the TEMP and TMP variable to <drive>:\usr\sap\<SID>\temp and <drive>:\usr\sap\<SID>\tmp, respectively.  Chainging the variable to an existing "temp" directory works.

Refer to SAP Note 1578091 - Installation fails with message: "Running msiexec failed with return code 1603: undefined"

balraj_giduturi
Explorer
0 Kudos

Creating /usr/sap/<SID>/tmp worked.

Is there a way to change the %TMP% environment variable set by sapinst?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had the same problem, and your solution worked for me too, so thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

By creating the path <drive>:\usr\sap\<SID>\tmp I was able to proceed with my CRM 7.0 with EHP1 installation. I am running on Windows 2008 x64 in a cluster.

Thanks for pointing that out!

0 Kudos

Hi all,

the outlined workaround regading error 1603 solved my problem as well.

Thanks a lot!

Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

For some reason sapinst set the %TMP% and

%TEMP% env to usr\sap\<SID>\tmp while this

directory didn't exist yet. So I changed

the direcotry to c:\temp, checked the

permissions and launched again.

It worked

Thanks to all of you,

Dimitry

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are the man, after I create the TMP directory in drive:\usr\sa\sid\tmp and set the proper permissions, it worked for me too.

Thanks for your input.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dimitry Haritonov, you are the man, after I create the TMP directory in drive:\usr\sa\sid\tmp and set the proper permissions, it worked for me too.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by: Manny on Nov 29, 2009 9:47 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

+1

Problem solved by creating the missing directory

Thank you very much Dimitry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Dimitry for your solution .. I worked for me as well ..thank you !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check this....

Your error "Error 2203"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296056

Though this is Microsoft thread , It says about permission or access problem.

Please check access permissions.