cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS: OPSJ Define Project Coding Mask

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have below requirement for configuring below coding mask (all alphanumeric)

AAAA.B.CCCCC.EEEE

u2022 AAAA = Company Code

u2022 B = Project type (C u2013 Capital, E u2013 Exploration, O u2013 Operating, S u2013 Outage, M u2013 Maintenance, T - Freight )

u2022 CCCCC u2013 Freely defined

u2022 EEEE u2013 Freely defined

We have also defined in OPSK the below

PL SL ET SP SP SP SP

4 u201C / . : >

SP SP SP SP EDIT ANo

; - < = X %

Could you let me know what would be the coding mask (OPSJ) I need to input? is it A or B below?

A). XXXX.X.XXXXX.XXXX

B). .XXXX.X.XXXXX.XXXX

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

PrjID: AAAA (which is company code)

And coding mask shuld be .X.XXXXX.XXXX

In your decision to have One coding mask only, is it more relevant that you are referring to one project profile only?

Coding mask is just to ensure users enter WBS ID with correct naming convention.

It is 24 characters for POSID(WBS element),

please also note that short id is 16 characters;

40 characters are actually the description, which can be long text as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Just want to confirm if the field PrjID in OPSJ will actually be part of the coding mask string. My assumption is it is just an idendifier for a paricular coding mask and is NOT part of the coding mask itself.

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Prj ID is Part of the coding mask.

Ur WBS or Prj definition code shuld start with project ID.In OPSK if u tick the Edit mark system will not allow u to create project codes which are not defined as Coding mask.Currently u might not made that tick so system is allowing u to create project code whtever u want.

Rgds

Former Member
0 Kudos

Company code means do u mean by customer's company.If so then how will u control if user puts different company codes for same company.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are a MNC and we have many company codes for the company (not customers). The rational of the naming standard for WBS is to easily identify the compnay code and project type of the particular project / WBS element.

Kindly help to confirm this:

For the AAAA - Company code, we have many company codes but will only want ONE coding mask only for all projects. So we should define it as .XXXX.X.XXXXX.XXXX and NOT .X.XXXXX.XXXX (AAAA defined as project key) right?

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI ,

If company code is the sorting criteria u want to use then in project definition co code can be entered.

Wht proj structure did u decided.Upto wht level WBS will be is also imp to decide coding mask.

Here u r using 17 characters for project code further u hv to structure the project into WBS the character limit is max 24 characters can be used for WBS.So think on that aspect.

In my view,

U shuld us PrjId as Single characters that is Type of project and XXXXX.XXXX shuld be ur further codes.Here u can use @ 22 characters for WBS coding. As WBS numbering is depend on Project coding mask also.

Rgds

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion but I am quite confused. The PrjID (first column) in OPSJ is only an identifier right? and is not part of the actual WBS element code segment right? Also, the WBS element can be of 40 chars in length and not 27 right?

All I want is to have something like below as my project coding mask: AAAA.B.CCCCC.EEEE (example: A001.C.FREIG.DEPT)

u2022 AAAA = Company Code

u2022 B = customized Project type (C u2013 Capital, E u2013 Exploration, O u2013 Operating, S u2013 Outage, M u2013 Maintenance, T - Freight )

u2022 CCCCC u2013 Freely defined

u2022 EEEE u2013 Freely defined

Can I just specify 'ZZZZ' as my PrjID and coding mask as .XXXX.X.XXXXX.XXXX? or do I need to specify 'A001' (the actual company code) as my PrjID and coding mask as .X.XXXXX.XXXX (the PrjID will be appended in front of the code)?

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The WBS element code is 24 characters field name POSID,WBS description is of 40 Characters field name POST1.

Project coding mask has imporatnce during the project reports,search parameters in other transactions at we must take all the aspects into consideration.U shuld decide wht is correct no one can better judge this.If i will be on ur place

My Coding mask Will be like this .

PrjId C u2013 Capital, E u2013 Exploration, O u2013 Operating, S u2013 Outage, M u2013 Maintenance, T - Freight

Coding Mask--

Prj Id Coding mask

C .XXXXX.XXXX ( This depend on level of WBS )

And My project profile culd be Capital Project Profile.

As far as 'A001' (the actual company code) concerned I can put it at the time of Project definition creation.

Nothing is Just specify in SAP.

Rgds

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let me throw some inputs here:

I would recommend not to use Company code (AAAA) in PrjID in OPSJ at the first place, use a letter/s or number/s (For ex- ZZZZ) that would be common across the board.

Can I just specify 'ZZZZ' as my PrjID and coding mask as .XXXX.X.XXXXX.XXXX? or do I need to specify 'A001' (the actual company code) as my PrjID and coding mask as .X.XXXXX.XXXX (the PrjID will be appended in front of the code)?

Don't use 'A001' as It would restrict you to create all the projects starting with 'A001' only and neither you can use 'ZZZZ' as every project you have to start with 'ZZZZ' and you would lose the your current coding mask ID (i.e company code nowhere in the picture).

I would recommend: PrjID - XXXX (Some code that would go in all the projects) then .AAAA (Company code) .B(Prj type) .CCCCC (Freely defined) .EEEE (Freely defined)

Therefore, XXXX.AAAA.B.CCCCC.EEEE

So in OPSJ define like this: PrjID: XXXX and Coding Mask: .XXXX.X.XXXXX.XXXX

Hope it helps.

Arya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivian,

Just a comment on ur coding mask: Company code and project type are going to be there in project, so reconsider their inclusion in coding mask. May be you can think of some other info (like dept of company etc) for naming ur project which may not be available in form of standard SAP fields.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ur project ID shuld be the co code AAAA

And coding mask shuld be .X.XXXXX.XXXX

Rgds

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For the AAAA - Company code, we have many company codes but will only want ONE coding mask only for all projects. So we should define it as .XXXX.X.XXXXX.XXXX and NOT .X.XXXXX.XXXX (AAAA defined as project key) right?

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

It should be B