cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automating Crystal 2008 reports with vb

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have previously used vbscript to run a crystal 9 report and output as a pdf. The vbscript used the contents of an excel spreadsheet as parameters. the following code was used to load the crystal report

Dim crApp

Dim crReport

Set crApp = CreateObject("CrystalRuntime.Application.9")

Set crReport = CreateObject("CrystalRuntime.Report.9")

Set crReport = crApp.OpenReport(sReportFile)

crReport.Database.Tables(1).SetLogOnInfo "", "", "USER", "PASSWORD"

'-- clear the last used parameters

crReport.ParameterFields.GetItemByName("P1").ClearCurrentValueAndRange

following this there is a section that loops through the spreadsheet and adds each value into the parameter field P1. It then runs the report for the parameters and exports it to a pdf.

I have been trying to reproduce this function using a newly purchased copy of Crystal 2008 and Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition however cannot even figure out how to initiate the crystal 2008 runtime.

I have read multiple pages suggesting that this needs to be done differently due to changes in the way cr2008 works but cannot find a solution.

can someone please help point me in the right direction....

Cheers

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Troy,

The usage and functionality of Crystal can be understood by going through [this|https://boc.sdn.sap.com/node/7770]. Some samples available in the same location will also help you to proceed ahead.

However make sure that CR2008 got integrated with VS as our product is not tested with Express edition, however we need SP0 of CR2008 to get integrated with VS2008.

It seems that you wan to pass parameter to the report so you can use

ReportDocumentObject.SetParameterValue("parameter name",value);

to do so.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

AG.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In addition to the above suggestion.

To integrate VS with the crystal reports we need to install VS first and than Crystal reports to make CR properly integrated with VS.

Hope it helps

Regards,

Amit

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying something similary, but what I need to know, is that after the report is exported, is there a way to find out how many rows were exported?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Doug:

You should be able to find out the number of records in a report by using this line of code:

reportDocument.database.rows.count.toString()

E.g.; as a quick test I added a line of code just after setting a datasource and after the report shows up in the viewer:

messageBox.show (reportDocument.database.rows.count.toString() )

and I got the number of records in the report.

This will work on a "saved data" report as well as a "live" reportDocument (e.g.; in your project before you terminate the report object).

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to everyone for their assistance. I should have enough information now to figure it out.

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do I need to use the CrystalReportViewer to run the report programattically. I dont want the user to see the report as the old statement used to loop through and run the report multiple times for different parameters.

Sorry, i have tried to go through the documetation suggested but cannot find an answer and the samples will not download for me.

If possible i want to do this through a windows app not web

Edited by: Troy Eversen on Sep 16, 2008 2:34 AM

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You do not need to use the viewer. You can export or print directly. See if you can download the following file:

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006252822008E/net_win_smpl.exe

it contains a number of VB .NET samples that demo exports as well as direct print. Not knowing which version of .NET you are using, you may have to let .NET upgrade the sample apps. This should be done by .NET automatically.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tony,

You can use thi sline of code to export directly with out using the Crystal Report Viewer.

rdoc.ExportToDisk(ExportFormatType.PortableDocFormat,"C:\\temp\\myRrt.pdf");

Note:- rdoc is a object of report document.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Amit

ted_ueda
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Troy,

The CrystalRuntime.Application is a Report Designer Component (RDC) SDK object - it's referencing the craxdrt.dll.

The RDC was deprecated with Crystal Reports XI Release 2, and the craxdrt.dll is not included with Crystal Reports 2008.

The RDC remains fully supported with the previous version - Crystal Reports XI Release 2.

So the option you have is:

• Migrate to Crystal Reports .NET SDK, a .NET-based SDK - however, you won't be able to VBScript it (you can create a .NET app, however).

• Use Crystal Reports XI Release 2 - in that case, I'd alter the "9" in the CreateObject argument - it's explicitly referencing version 9.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda