cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electronic Bank Statement and ZBA Accounts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All - My customer uses a ZBA Account for checks and ACH payments to vendors. The concentration account funds this account on a nightly basis.

When the Bank reconciliation file comes in from the bank, what are the accounting entries that the program should make?

I know we can't just debit ZBA and credit concetration because the process has to move through the clearing accounts.

Can some please let me know what is the best solution here and how to properly clear the clearing accounts? do the clearing accounts need to be cleared manually?

Thank you!

Natalie

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member581688
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Natalie,

We have a situation like this at my company. For transaction for the funding out of the Funding account, we use a posting rule with posting type 1 (post to GL) that credits concentration (we call it confirmed cash) and debits a clearing account. Then for the ZBA account (for the funding into the account), we use a posting rule with posting type 5 (clear credit GL) that debits the ZBA account and credits the clearing account. Statements are loaded for the Funding account before the ZBA account, so with this config, the ZBA posting clears the posting in the clearing account that was made by the bank statement for the Funding account - and no manual clearing is needed.

Does your company have just the one Funding account and one ZBA account? If so, you should be able to handle the above within the Global configuration. However, if you have more than one Funding/ZBA account pair - like my company does - we may need to discuss further as search strings may be needed. But I don't want to get that detailed if you just have the one pair of accounts.

Hopefully this helps!

Regards,

Shannon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shannon -

Its so nice to hear from someone that can give me practical on the job experience besides just sending a link off the internet, which I could have found myself!!! You are great, thank you.

So, yes, we just have the one ZBA Account/Funding Account situation.

However, the BAI file that we get from the bank is set up so that both accounts are on the same file, so it would load at the same time.

Let me ask you this ...

BAI Code 577 = Funding transfer out

Dr. clearing

Cr. confirmed cash

BAI Code 275 = Transfer Into ZBA Account

Dr. ZBA

Cr. clearing

If I use account symbols to represent the Clearing accounts, I have them set up to go to +++++7.

So for transfer out of funding, it would be

Dr. 113007 ZBA clearing

Cr. 113000 Concentration (account in house bank)

Dr. 113020 ZBA (account in house bank)

cr. 1130027 ZBA clearing

Notice how my clearing accounts aren't the same. Did you not use this technique to select clearing accounts? Did you actually 'hard code' the account in configuration so its the same for both bank accounts? Also, what algorithm would you use to auto clear the same account?

Thanks for your help.

Natalie

former_member581688
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Natalie,

The statements for our accounts are also all within the same file. The order of the accounts in the file determines the order that the statements are loaded into SAP - the top most statement is loaded first, then the statement below is loaded and so forth until the bottom most statement is the last one loaded. So when I said that the funding account's statement was loaded before the ZBA account's statement, it is because the funding account's statement is included in our file before the ZBA account's statement.

And yes, you are correct, if you use masking on the account symbol for the clearing account in both posting rules, you will get different accounts.

As I said previously, we have multiple pairs for funding and ZBA/CDA accounts (CDA are Controlled Disbursement Accounts, which have fundings similar to ZBAs). We use multiple different account symbols for the clearing accounts used for postings - we have one symbol that uses masking and then other symbols that are hardcoded to the ZBA/CDA clearing accounts.

In the posting rule that is used to post the outgoing funding on the Funding account, we use the account symbol that is hard-coded to the ZBA/CDA's clearing account. For the posting rule that is used for the incoming funding on the ZBA/CDA's account, we use the account symbol that uses masking to determine the ZBA/CDA's clearing account. We did this to reduce the number of posting rules that we had to set up.

In your case, since you have one pair of accounts, you could just set up one account symbol that is hard coded to the clearing account and use that account symbol in the posting rules for the funding.

As far as an interpretation algorithm, you should not need one. The clearing will be controlled by the posting type on the posting rules. This is where the order of the accounts in the bank file comes into play. For whichever account is first in the bank file, you want to set up the posting rule for that account with posting type 1 (post to GL) - the transaction will always post. Then for whichever account is second in the file, you want to set up the posting rule with either posting type 4 (clear debit GL) or 5 (clear credit GL) - this transaction will only post if there is a transaction already posted to the clearing account that it can clear. Whether you use 4 or 5 will depend on whether the second account is the Funding account or the ZBA account.

If the Funding account is first in the statement file, the funding out will post a debit into the clearing account. The posting rule for the funding into the ZBA account (second in the file) will need a posting type of 5 (clear credit GL). The credit made by this posting rule will clear the debit posted by the funding account.

If the ZBA account is first in the statement file, then the funding in will post a credit into the clearing account. The posting rule for the funding out of the Funding account will need a posting type of 4 (clear debit GL). The posting will debit the clearing account and clear the credit posted by the ZBA account.

Hopefully this all makes sense. Please let me know if you have further questions!

Shannon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shannon

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I want you to know that I would have replied earlier, but I was out because I was getting married. Otherwise, I would have been in touch sooner.

I just wanted to thank you for all ofyour help with my question and for thoroughly answering it. I did grant you points. All the best.

Natalie

former_member581688
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Natalie,

Congratulations on your marriage!

I'm glad I was able to help you out with the search strings.

Regards,

Shannon

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am working on EBS.We dont have the customer requirements yet,so i need to prepare the generic(standart) EBS config. i have done untl posting keys. Since posting keys are related to the BAI code i dont know how to to standart one. Can any body can come up standart postings keys and posting rules for BAI code 475.

thanks

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is a expert here, i am working in EBS configuration,if i have a question would you help?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am working on EBS.We dont have the customer requirements yet,so i need to prepare the generic(standart) EBS config. i have done untl posting keys. Since posting keys are related to the BAI code i dont know how to to standart one. Can any body can come up standart postings keys and posting rules for BAI code 475.

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shannon,

After reading your reply to SAP FICO1234 EBS and ZBA accounts I felt like I got the right person contact.

I am also in a same boat. I am new to EBS and ZBA and need some direction with example from basic configuration steps to accomplish the ZBA functionally.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Atul

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ..I appreciate the reply, but it didn't answer my question about ZBA. Thanks.

former_member625419
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi!

o set up Electronic Bank Statements (EBS) 

Processing in SAP for most customers in North America. 

1. Create House Bank and Account ID (FI12) 

2. Setup EDI Partner Profile for FINSTA Message Type (WE20) 

3. Configure Global Settings for EBS (IMG) 

- Create Account Symbols 

- Assign Accounts to Account Symbols 

- Create Keys for Posting Rules 

- Define Posting Rules 

- Create Transaction Types 

- Assign External Transaction Types to Posting Rules 

- Assign Bank Accounts to Transaction Types 

4. Define Search String for EBS (Optional) 

- Search String Definition 

- Search String Use 

5. Define Program and Variant Selection 

Additional information is also available in the SAP Library under:

Financial Accounting > Bank Accounting (FI-BL) > Electronic Bank Statement > 

Electronic Account Statement Customizing.

Bank Reconciliation Statement

The following are the steps for BRS:

Create Bank Master Data - This can be created through T.Code FI01 or you can also create the house bank through IMG/FA/Bank accounting/Bank account

2. Define House Bank

3. Set up Bank selection payment programme- IMG/FA/ARAP/BT/AUTOIP/PM/Bank selection for payment prg.

A. setup all co codes for payment transaction - Customer and vendors

B.setup paying co codes for payment transactions

C.setup payment method per country

D.setup payment method per co code for payment transaction

E.setup bank determination for payment transaction

Please go for Cheque management using T code FCHI     (IMG/FA/ARAP/BT/OP/AutoOp/PaymentMedia/CheckManagement) and for void reasons FCHV. You can create Bank Reconciliation statement by TC FF67 (SAP/AC/Treasury/CashManagement/Incomings/ManualBankStatement) . Don't forget to keep the opening Balance as zero. Use FBEA for post process.

All the steps together will lead to (FF67) Bank reconciliation statement.

regards,

Rup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey there - my question was about clearng zba accounts.