cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superscripting the Registered Trademark symbol

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to place the registered trademark (®) symbol in my report, superscripted.

I have seen workarounds that involve carefully placing a dedicated text box at the right place, relative to the preceding text.

This won't work for me, since I have a lengthly text document that includes multiple instances of this symbol. Using the above workaround will be cumbersome and not very practical, given that the document may change (and therefore may necessitate re-placement of all of the text boxes).

I saw a post elsewhere about using html pass-through and webElements, though this is beyond my level of expertise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try this trick....

In Microsoft Word, type the ® symbol (easiest way is to hold down your key whiling typing 0174 using the numeric keypad). If you have AutoCorrect turned on, Word will automatically superscript it. Highlight the ® and copy it. Switch over to Crystal and paste it in you text where you want it to be.

Works for me using CR XI R2 and Word 2007.

Deb

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

JWiseman
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hello,

using subscript or superscript in a formula with RTF interpretation (Format Field > Paragraph > Text Interpretation) is not supported.

to see a list of the supported RTF tags do a search on 1214798.

the general rule is that if you cannot do a desired type of formatting in a Crystal Reports Text Object, then it will not be possible using Text Interpretation.

pass-through HTML interpretation on HTML in your database is pretty much the only way to have this work.

pass-through HTML is supported in that activating pass-through on your servers is a supported method...the content itself that this interprets is not supported as that would be HTML code and not Crystal formula syntax.

please see the forum post at

https://forums.sdn.sap.com/click.jspa?searchID=19720216&messageID=6595084

for more info.

cheers,

jamie

Former Member
0 Kudos

This article may help you

KBase Article ID:c2001778
Article refers to:Crystal Reports 6
Symptom
Is there a "TM" (trademark) symbol that will print above the "normal" text line, like a subscript symbol?
Resolution
By use of the Windows Character Map feature, it is possible to add various special
characters such as the Trademark symbol (u2122) by utilising the appropriate ALT+number keys.
For example, the trademark symbol can be achieved in Arial or Times New Roman fonts by
entering 0153 (on the numberpad only) while depressing the ALT key.
Note:
Some fonts do not contain certain special characters i.e. Terminal and many custom TTF fonts.

For more details of how to use u201CWindows Character Map featureu201D please go to this website: 

[http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=514]

Regards,

Raghavendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've seen the subscripts and superscript problem often in the forums. But I can't find a definitive answer that does not include a workaround. So I will ask the question simply:

How can I use subscript and superscript in parameters to my report ?

The main problem it that I have clients that uses an RTF editor (and HTML editor as well...) to enter text that will be in the report. The RTF and HTML uses subscript for math formula indices and exponents. Now these "scripts" wont show up in the report and this is a MAJOR issue for us since one of our client is a science department in our University... It could force us to switch to another provider which I don't want to do at the point we are now in the development...

Is this supported ?