cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pros and cons turning off the buffer for material master numbering

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Can any one let me know the pros and cons if we turn off buffer for Material master Numbering through SNUM

Thank you

Umesh K

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Completed

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The only disadvantage I know is the performance when you load thousands of material masters for a Go-Live.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jürgen,

Thanks for your answer, I am basis consultant and i not familiar with MM number buffers, could you please let me know what will be adv or disadv if we turnoff this buffer. coz we have a requirement to turn off but no idea how this will affect to the system. if you got some links or help for this buffer, please let me know

Thank you

Umesh K

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

this is a natural conflict between basis and application.

SAP usually has the buffer set to 10 for number ranges.

for performance reasons you should use buffers, but business often does not want to have gap in numbers.

If case of material, it is just critical for go-live, you will certainly not create hundreds of materials during a usual work day.

My experience is that a buffer of 1 instead of 10 for material numbers has no effect at all to the performance.

You can use 10 as long you load material masters and then switch to 1 before starting with manual entring of materials.

former_member309282
Active Participant
0 Kudos

The big advantage is you get a chunk of POs - sequentially numbered-makes it easier to remember your PO's.

SAP strongly suggests you buffer your PO NR to 10