Hello Everyone, can one of you help me out
I have installed a complete GRC landscape on NW 7.0 / Windows2003 server / Oracle 10.2.0.4 but when I start up the J2EE engine I cannot view the System Information page from the index page. I get the follwoing error in each of my dev/qa/prod systems.
com.sap.engine.services.servlets_jsp.server.exceptions.ServletNotFoundException: Requested resource [/SystemInfo] not found.
The other pages such as Web Dynpro Tools or SAP netweaver Administrator etc are working fine.
I have tried to start the System Information page by entering the URL directly in my browser but stil I get the error.
The J2EE engine is on SP17 which is the latest.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please.
There is a note about system pages:
[Note 1233282 - Fixed URL of System Information application on Start page|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1233282]
The URL of the System Information Application on the default J2EE Engine Start Page is fixed and points to the correct location.
The URL is fixed in SAP NetWeaver 7.0, SP17.
Now, that there was a bug that should be fixed in your SP makes me a little suspicious...
Many Thanks Benny
It certainly is a bit suspiciuos as to whether its actually fixed or not. We know that it worked when we installed the J2EE engine to NW 7.0 SP 14 but stopped working when we applied SP17.
I've got a customer message open to see if SAP can help. If they come up with an answer I'll post it in here.
OK I think I've sorted this myself, although not how to fix it permanently.
We know it is working in SP14 so I copied the URL
This works fine
In SP17 it is
This fails because the /sap/ bit is missing, putting this in manually works fine.
I've raised an SAP Customer message to see if there's a hotfix for SP17 or some other way to fix this permanently
Many Thanks For your help
Actually no we don't yet have a permanent answer to the problem but SAP are aware of it and are working on it according to my customer message. They've asked me to telnet in to the java engine and make a change the send them the screenshots.
When and if I get a solution to this I'll post it on this thread.
We had 2 problems with our system one was fixed by just correcting the URL as shown previously in this thread. The other was fixed by applying SAP Note 1281251 - System information exception: Connection is invalid
Please try applying the respective patch attached to this note via SDM - no restart required.