cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal reports not working in Production Envt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a asp.net application developed in VS2003 and the Crystal Reports that comes along with it. The application and the reports work fine on the development machine. However, after deploying the application on the production server using the .msi setup file, I am not able to run the reports.

Initially, the error message is as below

"Error in File C:\WINNT\TEMP\temp_d548cc74-693f-4cf5-b7d3-6f1ffbbdd1b1.rpt: The request could not be submitted for background processing. "

And after trying to run the reports several times, the error message is

"A Crystal Reports job failed because a free license could not be obtained in the time allocated. More licenses can be purchased direct from Crystal Decisions or through the Crystal Decisions Online Store"

I am not sure what is wrong, as it all works fine on the development machine. Can someone please help and let me know what I need to do.

Thanks in advance

- RT

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

See if this Article helps:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/50a6f5e8-8164-2b10-7ca4-b5089df7...

If not, let me know the version of Crystal Reports you are using. Also, do you see this error with a specific report or all reports?

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

I did come across this document earlier and it didn't help.

One thing I did notice in this article was about the hard drive space. The C: drive on the production server has only about 700MB left and this is where the temp files are being created (C:\WINNT\TEMP ). The IIS server is on the E drive and has a lot of space available. Could that be the problem?

The crystal reports version is 9.1.5000.0 and it errors out on all the reports in the production environment

Thanks

- RT

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Could be. Certainly worth looking at. Go to Start | run and type in %temp%. Give that directory at least read / write permissions.

The other thing worth trying will be checking out the dlls, see if there are any differences. Use the Modules utility to do this:

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006252802008E/modules.zip

Also, ensure that there is a printer driver visible to the worker process on that server.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

Thanks a lot for helping me on this.

I checked and the %temp% folder has read/write access. I also downloaded the modules utility and ran it on both machines and I did notice that the crpe32.dll, crdb_adoplus.dll and crystaldecisions.crystalreports.engine.dll have different versions on both machines. So, I guess that is the problem. I have the output files from the module utility from both machines, but could not find a way to attach it with this email for you to review.

Now, how do I sync the dll's on the production system with the ones on development.

Thanks again

- RT

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Assuming that we are still working with version 9.1.5000.0 CR assemblies, we have two options of syncing up:

1) Apply the latest CR 9.1 update on that computer

2) Create a new deployment project using the latest msm files

The above assumes that the runtime on the problem computer is older than on your development box(?).

The latest update for CR 9.1 is here:

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006007662008E/crnet11win_en.zip

The msm files are here:

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006009302008E/cr_net_2003_mm_en.zip

Let's see if either of the above helps,

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

I think all the dll's are now sync'ed with the same version on production. But now I don't see the crqe.dll file in the module utility list in production. The dll is in the Common File\bin\1.0 folder and is of version 9.1.1.473, but I don't see it in the utility list. Any idea what the problem is now.

I tried registering the dll at the command prompt (regsvr32 crqe.dll), but that also did not help

Thanks

- RT

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When you tried to register the crqe.dll, did you get a message that the registration succeeded, or failed?

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

It said that it succeeded. And then when I rerun the module utility, it still does not show up.

- RT

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OK, that means the error is being thrown before the report even attempts to connect to the database. The crqe.dll is the database engine. At this point I's suspect the report layout or printers and the best way to check on that is to download the CR 2008 designer eval. Install it on the problem computer (just as a test, we'll uninstall it later). Open the report in the designer and see if any fields are running off the design page. When opening the report, watch for the message "Substituting default printer" (or something along those lines. If all of the above checks out, see if you can run and print the report from the CR 2008 designer and let me know how all of the above worked out. CR 2008 eval is here:

http://www.businessobjects.com/product/freetrials.asp

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

So, do I install the 30 day free trial of Crystal Reports 2008 on the production machine (problem machine), or should I try it out on the development machine (the working one) first. And if I install on the production machine and then uninstall, does it do a clean uninstall or will the current crystal DLL's get overwritten. Just wanted to be sure, before causing any problems on the production system

Thanks

- RT

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yup. When I wrote "Install it on the problem computer", I meant the production computer that we have the problem on.

No worries about over-writing or after uninstall missing something. This is a side by side install.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

I tried installing Crystal Reports 2008 on the problem machine and got the error message "Requirement for installation of Crystal reports 2008 : Microsoft Windows XP SP2 or Windows Server 2003 or higher". The problem machine is Windows 2000, and the development machine is Windows XP SP2, so I am unable to instal CR2008 on the problem machine.

Any other way to test the reports for page layouts and margins ?

Thanks

- RT

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ooops. I am sooooo sorry (did not realize we were on WIN2000) - my bad. Let's do the same with XI. It will work on WIN 2000 and can be downloaded from the same link:

http://www.businessobjects.com/products/reporting/crystalreports/eval.asp

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

No, it's not your fault. I should have mentioned about the 2000 server earlier. I shall download the CR XI and test it out.

Meanwhile, some good news. When I looked at the error message ithat said that the temp report was not able to get created it in C:\WINNT\temp folder, it suddenly struck me that in an XP/2003 environment there is a C:\Windows\Temp folder and no C:\WINNT\Temp folder and that could be the reason why it was working fine in the development environment. So, I created a new folder (Windows\Temp) on the production server (Problem machine) and gave the appropriate permissions and voila.. one of the reports started working. I have a total of 5 reports developed so far in the application, so the remaining 4 still give the same error. As you mentioned in a previous post, it must be a design issue with these 4 reports where fields are running out of the page margins. So shall download the designer and see if I can figure out the problem.

The reports are pretty simple, so even if I need to recreate them it is fine. Anyway, I shall keep you updated on the developments.

Thanks

- RT

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

The success was short-lived. The one report that started working has also stopped now and all the reports give the same original error "Error in File C:\WINNT\TEMP\temp_97b176e1-0812-4567-b720-ed8d654432e0.rpt: The request could not be submitted for background processing. "

The module application also does not display the crqe.dll in the list of processes. Not sure why that is happening. Earlier, when the one report was working the crqe.dll was listed in the list of processes in the module application and now it has disappeared.

As suggested in your post earlier, I tried downloading the CR XI designer on the problem machine. Since the problem machine has limited space on the C: drive, I tried installing on the E: drive, but it seems like it does not like to be installed on the E: drive. So no success in installing it on the problem machine.

I did however install it on another machine that has Windows XP just to check out the reports layout and everything seemed to be fine. I did not get any message that the report fields were off the page, nor anything about the printer setup.

It seems like I have reached a deadend now. Any ideas what I should try next?

Thanks

- RT

0 Kudos

Hi Rich,

You wrote: "Since the problem machine has limited space on the C: drive"

This is concerning because a lot of processes need temp space to run, and CR can at times require a lot of temp space.

In your System Environment variables you should have TEMP and TMP declared. If not possibly this is the cause. Because you don't have much space available on C drive change those to D:\Temp and D:\Tmp. You do have to create the folders of course and use a driver that does have at least a Gig free. Re-boot and test again.

If you don't have another driver to use then I suggest getting one or installing your app on one that has more space available.

Thank you

Don

Answers (0)