cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ITS behaves kind of... weird (session timeouts, memory bottlenecks)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello fellow experts,

recently, our ITS has shown some weird behave that worry me. I have several users complaining that they regularily get a 400 session timeout error in certain transactions. Additionally, the ITS started clustering SM21 with "ITS, New user session denied due to memory bottleneck" errors like mad recently. Looking into SM04, I can see that users pile up several dozens of SMEN modes - those also give a (yet green) "HTTP/RFC session has been deleted following timeout" warning in SM21 after a while.

Users swear they are only working in one browser window, and they get that session timeout immediatly after they do something (i.e. calling a search help) and not after they went away for coffee.

I'm almost sure those three symptoms (memory bottleneck, timeouts, SMEN modes) are connected somehow and this is just a minor configuration problem, but I can't figure out where to start fixing this, so any advice would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Bjoern

Edited by: Bjoern Ischo on Dec 30, 2008 11:36 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello Bjoern

I know your post is old but  I wanted to share the solution that helped me, incase you or someone else who reads this post encounters this problem again.

When you see "ITS, New user session denied due to memory bottleneck" errors in sm21 you can check the memory available for ITS with transaction SITSPMON

Then you will see in that screen the section "Currently available to ITS : 0 MB of 128 MB "

In my case I  increased em/global_area_MB  from 128 to 512 and problem was solved.

PS: considers systems memory also

em/global_area_MB = <10%_von_PHYS_MEMSIZE>

PHYS_MEMSIZE =  ideally %60  of memory ( If only one SAP system is running on the same host )

Regards

Gülsen

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member316351
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Bjoern,

Are users using Portal? It could be that the session management is not working properly, ie: user sessions are not being ended properly, which could lead to several entries in SM04 or mixed sessions causing premature timeouts.

I would make sure that the previous sessions are ending properly as that sounds more likely to be the issue.

Edgar