cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduling Workbook via Bex Broadcaster

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am on BI 7.0 and trying to broadcast the workbook via e-mail through information broadcasting. When i schedule the workbook through Report Designer Broadcaster, the report is getting triggered correctly at the scheduled time without any problem. The Report i am getting is in PDF format. My Requirement is that the Report should be in Excel Format.

So, i went to Bex Broadcaster and scheudled the Workbook there following the same steps as i followed in Report Designer Broadcaster. I could successfully schedule the Workbook here too. But the problem is i am not getting the mail at all. I could see "Yes" straight to the Scheduled column in Broadcaster but i donno why i am not getting the Report to my mailbox.

Can anyone help me on this?

Regards,

Murali

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi murali,

Has this problem been solved by you, if not, here is a small solution, This is what worked for me. Even I faced the same problem.

Try loading the same precalculation server software onto some other client machines. Make sure you have the latest versions of Excel, and .NET installed on your system. Try loading on different machines. Precalculation server is really a flaky software.

Do you get an error that says "Invalid Procedure call or arguments.". Also let me know what version of Excel are you using, if its 2003, then you need to have a corresponding hotfix installed as well.

Regards,

Sree.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sree,

I get an error that says "Invalid Procedure call or arguments."

Is it possible to eliminate this error?

Regards,

Nik.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nik,

it is possible to eliminate this error,

But I would request you to be more brief. When do you exactly get this error.

While running a workbook manually via a BEx Analyzer or When you click on the Execute button in the Information broadcasting page.

Where do you get this error. Is it on the machine that you have created the precalculation server on or is it on any Client machine

Let me know.

Regards,

Sree.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sree,

Our BI system recently upgraded from 3.5 to 7.0 sp 20. There is 3.5 workbook I try to precalculate.

My first attempt to precalculate workbook as usual using 3.5 precalculation. Workbook precalculation works well, but WB is corrupt in SOST and mailbox. So I install precalculation server for 7.0. Now on the precalculation server machine at the beginning of precalculation immediately after workbook open I see error "Invalid Procedure call or arguments.".

Excel 2003 sp2 with regular update used for precalculation.

I can't migrate workbook right now. There are too many macros have to work after refresh.

Regards,

Nik.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nik,

I am not pretty sure though, but I think I do have a solution to your problem.

I am sure you must have a local machine on which you must have installed the precalculation server.

Uninstall the precalc server.

uninstall BEx (Completely)

uninstall SAP Gui (Completely)

(Restart the system whenever it prompts you to do so. Be sure of this).

The following is best combination for precalculation server to work ideally.

1) SAP Gui 710. Patch 11

2) BEx 7.0 or BEx 3.x

3) BI Addon (bi710sp08p_801-10004472.exe)

4) BW Addon (bw350gui710_5-10004473.exe)

5) Precalc server (xPreCalServer08_1-10004472.msi)

Use the above add on for sure. and use the latest version of precalculation server.

Let me know if you have any questions

Regards,

Sree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sree,

it seems to me that all trouble in my own machine. After install your front end combination i've got same error. But that combination perfectly works on another machine.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

Nik.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi nik,

Ideally if you have followed all the steps that I mentioned, you would not have that error in any system as such. Did you uninstall the complete BI front end and then reinstall it in the same order.

Sree.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sree,

Yes I did, I uninstalled all SAP applications and install again, same error...

But I just downloaded latest version of SAP GUI FOR WINDOWS 7.10 CORE dated 11.11.2008. Precalculation works well now. Before I used SAP GUI dated 2007 year.

Thank you.

Regards,

Nik.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali.

Go through the following link,

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/advancedsearch?query=purvang+zinzuwadia&cat=sdn_all

and let me know once the issue is resolved.

Thanks,

Uday.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can someone please help me find a way to track failed broadcast settings/jobs by alerting me through an email when the broadcast server fails ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can check this by RSPRECADMIN T-code.

If it is there you can follow these steps.

Goto to your query>tools>distribute workbook-->it will open in new window(internet explorer). there you can see the create settings for new one. if it is allready existing just select that --> in down you can see 3 tabs.

in 1st tab you can give E-mail ids which you want to broadcast the report. and also you need to slect output format of the report as excel file and also check the check box as zip file.

in 2nd tab you can provide subject line and information do you want to pass to the users.

in 3rd tab you can give variables by clicking on CHANGE.

finally you can schedule it in background.

You can check finnaly in SOST t-code for E-mail status.

Regards

Pcrao.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

I can guide you to some check points,

Go to RSPRECADMIN and check if you have a registered prcalculation server.

You would require precalculation server to precalculate workbooks. Check in the broadcast settings you are using this precalculation server.

Go to SM37 and see if the job for precalculation of bradcast setting and precalculation of workbook completed successfully.

Check SLG1 to see the precalculation log , if there is no error.

Go to SOST, to check if a mail was sent to your address on SMTP server.

Check your user name in BI has internet as communication type and mail id maintained in user maintainannce.

Regards,

Sunmit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunmit,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have checked the transactions you have mentioned.

RSPRECADMIN - There is no Pre-calculation server installed. The page is blank.

SM37 - The Job i scheduled through Bex Broadcaster is in "Released" status whereas the ones i scheduled through Report Designer Broadcaster is in "Finished" Status.

SLG1 - When checked here, i could see the Bex Broadcaster job in Red Status with the Error Message "An Active RFC Server could not be found".

SOST - There is no mail sent (via Bex Broadcaster).

I could sense that the mail is not triggered due to the non-installation of Pre-Calculation server.

But I have a small clarification. If the Pre-calculation server installation is the problem, how am i able to schedule the Workbooks through Report Designer Broadcaster? Wont i be facing this same problem there also? How it got scheduled in Report Designer Broadcaster successfully?

Regards,

Murali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think, the broadcasts of reports runs on the application server, while workbooks need to be run on the precalculation server.Your analysis and conclusion are correct.

Regards,

Sunmit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If somebody have the step by step procedure of installing the Pre-Calculation server for Bex Broadcasting, please provide the Link or the Document.

Thanks,

Murali

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have successfully installed the Pre-Calc server in my machine. In RSPRECADMIN, i could now see the server is Active. But still, when i execute a Workbook throught Bex Broadcaster, i am getting the error "Cannot precalculate workbook <workbbok name> Broadcasting". When i schedule it also i am not getting any mails triggered.

There was another error too "Precalculation failed: E Object variable or With block variable not set." Checked this is Error in SLG1.

What could be the possible reason for this? What could solve this problem? Help me in fixing this.

Regards,

Murali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

Is that workbook executing fine ? If no errors found in taht workbook ,then once try to execute that workbook in foreground by precalculation server.

Regards

Pcrao.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pcrao,

The workbook is executing fine. When i scheduled in Background, mail got triggered but with a blank attachment, there is nothing in the excel sheet. When i executed in Bex Broadcaster, i got the error i have mentioned.

Thanks,

Murali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Once check the error details in SLG1.

Regards

Pcrao.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pcrao,

This is the Error Message:

"Cannot precalculate workbook test Broadcasting"

Tha Long text for the above Error message is:

Cannot precalculate workbook test Broadcasting

Message no. RSRD520

Diagnosis

The precalculation server call to precalculate workbook test Broadcasting ended with return value 1.

The call parameters were:

Variant:

Variable string:

System Response

The workbook was not precalculated.

There is also another Error message given. Please see it below:

"Precalculation failed: E Object variable or With block variable not set"

Regards,

Murali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

Once try to reset your variables in Bex Broadcaster-Variables settings/change. Try to give/execute the same variables, which are used in saved workbook and see.

Regards

Pcrao.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also - be very careful with broadcasting workbooks

The precalc software is flaky to say the least - start with hardcoded workbooks then introduce selection variables one by one

In addition - in a production environment you really need proper precalc intel machines in your machine room not sitting on your desk

(and rememebr to turn off automatic software updates and virus scans etc..)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I gave the same variables in Bex Broadcaster as i have provided in the workbook but that doesnt seem to work too. The mail is not getting triggered at all.

I am checking this in Development system, i followed all the steps exactly as it was provided in the document.

Regards,

Murali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dont give them variables to begin with

Hard code filters ie no selection screen - then if that works introduce selections one by one until you find one that has the problem

(we had big problems with hierarchy selections and any selection that was not a single parameter in early releases of the precalc server)