cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you accessed the SAP Customer Portal???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Community,

During our daily work here we are moderating the forums and often we find that end users lack the documentation necessary to complete normal daily work with SAP Business One. For example, some do not even know about SAP Notes or how to access them.

As some of you may know or not know about the [SAP Customer Portal|http://service.sap.com/smb/sbocustomer] specifically designed with you in mind. In this portal we provide considerable amount of documentation and guides to assist you with your SAP Business One. It also provide your with an interface where you can:

1. Manage your license keys

2. Manage users access to the portal

3. Access education material

4. Learn about Implementation with the Accelerated Implementation Program

5. Learn about upgrading with the Accelerated Upgrade Program

6. Access documentation

7. Submit support incidents to your partner and manage your messages

You do need to have a s-user and password which should be provided to you by your partner. For further details please see SAP Note 863466.

So what are you waiting for, get on to the customer portal and see what you have been missing.

Regards,

Paul Finneran

SAP Business One Forums Team

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member186095
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Paul,

Surely, I guarantee the SBO customers / end users can sell the SAP B1 product to many companies if you give the access of license management to them.They can burn the B1 product DVD and the latest patch level version package after sent by SAP partner. SAP B1 will be available in black market area.

I am not sure if in the B1 8.8 versions license manager, the license file have company name and automatically detect the company name of the B1 application and prevent the use of license by other companies except by the company which the license belongs to.

I know that the license file will have company name but I can still change B1 company name in the database and the license still works. Will SAP make B1 application unable to work if the SBO end users use license file that is not belong to their company based on the company name that is written in the license file in the future ?

I read the note 1379033. I didn't apply the note solution. I am not sure if the note will be used to validate the license file. Sooner or later, the statement in the 3rd paragraph above will be an issue and must be a concern for SAP AG.

So, right now, pls delete no.1 from customer portal. This is the best suggestion.

Rgds,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jimmy,

Firstly I wold like to clarify that even if you stop paying maintenance a customer has the right to access the Customer Portal, this is to ensure that messages can be raised, license keys requested etc.

If you do not pay maintenance your partner will not deliver support should you need it, nor will SAP.

You will not be entitled to upgrade the software which is a benefit from paying maintenance. So if you face a software bug or require a legal change in an upgrade it will not be available to you.

As for your last message, I assure you that SAP is doing all possible and necessary steps to prevent any kind of misuse of license keys or software misuse.

Regards,

Paul

former_member186095
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Paul,

Thx for the clarification. That should be fair.

Based on your message, it means that the new SBO customer can also request the license and not by partner's SAP support helpdesk.

Btw, is the license management one of responsibilities or jobs of SAP partner's SAP B1 support helpdesk before this new policy released ?

Rgds,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jimmy,

Yes and no, The partner should of course set up the installation including the license files but also a decision was taken to allow customers to manage this also incase they should ever need to.

Regards,

Paul

former_member186095
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Paul,

If the SAP's partner either application consultant or support consultant can have the authorization to access their customer's license, I am afraid it will be used illegally and they can request permanent license using this customer's account. The customer won't agree and will probably sue the partner.

I also find that there are 2 kinds of license requests for SAP's partner consists of reseller and contract. Can the license accounts removed ?

Thanks and Rgds,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jimmy,

I am personally working on this issue (I will be my project in 2010). Unfortunately it is not possible to remove the partner selecting a license key for a customer for these reasons:

1. Not all customers have access to the internet

2. Not all customers can log on the the customer portal

3. Partner is responsbile to set up the system including installaing any license keys. They pre-prepare this in advance of going on site so that they already have a license key.

PLEASE NOTE:

If you find suspicious activity on your installation

e.g. multiple hardware keys which do not belong to you, multplie systems being created on your installation then please notify me (you can ask to be contacted privately via this thread)

alternatively you can contact your local SAP offices or LPE/Channel Manager.

Regards,

Paul

former_member186095
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Paul,

Thank you for detail answer. Anyway, if the SBO user do not currently belong to any SAP's partner maintenance agreement, how can they get the S-Id and password to open SAP B1 customer portal ? Could you pls provide the step to get it ?

I will send you via mail (private) if I find the license that is not use correctly according to SAP rule.

Rgds,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jimmy,

As a customer you are entitled to this, please contact your partner.

Regards,

Paul

former_member186095
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thx a lot Paul.

However, the partner that is implemented B1 in the company has been closed and no employees.

So, until present, they did not pay maintenance. To whom should they ask the S-Id ?

Rgds,

Jimm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The customer should then contact their local SAP office for an offical response, once solution is to move the customer to another partner, this the can do by themselves as a new partner may welcome the chance for a recurring maintenance.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I wanted to ask a question related to SAP Upgrade and Implementations partner's role in upgrade. we have paid SAP AMC to the partner and also asked t upgrade our system from 2005B to 2007B. Do you think there's a need to pay the partners for the upgrade as well? Please let me know. Hope to hear from you at the earliest.

Thanks,

Joseph Antony

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joseph Anthony,

This is not somehting which is a straightforward answer as this varies so much from partner to partner, customer to customer, country to country.

For examples, here are some scenarios I have heard about based on threads in this forum:

1. Partner upgrades all his customers to the same patch for consistency

2. Customer themselves engages with the parter to perform the technical upgrade (the partner supplies the sw)

3. Partner is charging for all upgrades (patch/SP & Major release)

4. Partner is not charging for any upgrade

5. Partner charges only for major release upgrades

6. Customer has technical resource capable to perform the upgrade?

7. Test cases exist for upgrade testing?

8. Exists a seperate test environment for testing?

The point is there is no single guidance here from SAP. It is your responsibility to fully engage with your partner and seek a resolution to this issue. Maintenance fees may not cover these services same as if you request a few extra days training, it is at your partners discretion on billing and charges.

Sorry I cannot be more specific and give you a yes/no answer.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

You have answered many questions. However, I feel that SAP should come up with standard guide lines for the channel partners when it comes to product upgrade for the existing customers. I think that by doing so, SAP would also earn a better rapport. Thanks for the inputs Paul. Much appreciated.

Thanks,

Joseph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joseph,

We operate in a two tier sales and support model. Therefore we have no direct control over the practices of a partner. I would say that if you are not happy with the deliverables from your partner you should look for a new provider and move to them.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Paul, or any member of SAP for that matter:

I was wondering if it's possible to set up for customers to receive email notification when partners respond to a question on the 'partner support dashboard' via the partner portal. I know I receive emails when questions are logged, but they don't receive notifications in response - and are forced to check hourly if I've gotten back to them.

Thanks,

Lazar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Firstly, congratulation on starting to move things forward. It is good to see the 8.8 documentation up so some of us non-partners can have a look, and even start preparing in advance!

3 points/questions for you:

1. Is there a timeline in place for non-partners to get access to areas such as:

https://websmp106.sap-ag.de/smb/sbo/iru

As small businesses, some of us manage our own upgrades/testing etc. (Partners are expensive, and once you know the product well enough, what to check etc, it's easy enough to do)

2. Is there any way the B1 partner add-ons database can be made accessible to non-partners? A lot of your users would like to research their options independently before going with their partner recommendation (may be biased...)

3. In terms of the Product Development Collaboration forum, is this being re-thought in any way? At the moment, it feels like almost complete guesswork to non-partners as to what fixes or new features to expect. Whilst nothing can be guaranteed prior to release, surely "collaboration" implies that we, the non-partners, would also get some insight and input on your current hit-list of development for future versions? 2 specific ones are MRP by Warehouse/Location and correct treatment of Sales BOMs in P&P manager. Despite working with B1 since 2004A, I have yet to hear even a target release to fix these 2 major issues. The one thing I have heard alot of though is "it's functioning as designed"!

Regards,

Raj

Edited by: Rajiv Agarwalla on Aug 11, 2009 11:06 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Raj,

Thanks for your comments. Here is my feedback.

1. The issue around IRU is to be dealt with by your partner, it is a software issue which should is covered under maintenace by your partner. They should fix this issue for you.

2. To view a SSP addon please visit http://www.sap.com/ecosystem/customers/directories/SearchSolution.epx

In the box Third-Party Defined Integration Scenarios select "B1 SDK 2005". This site will be updated in the near future.

3. The Product Development collaboration forum is monitored by our colleagues from Solution Management who constantly are checking for most common functionality requests. Those functionalites together with legal requirements are a priority for SAP. Please post any functionality requests you have on this forum.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Regards,

Paul

Edited by: Paul Finneran on Aug 12, 2009 9:08 AM

Original link to SSP Catalog is not working

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the link, very useful stuff!!

"The Product Development collaboration forum is monitored by our colleagues from Solution Management who constantly are checking for most common functionality requests. Those functionalites together with legal requirements are a priority for SAP. Please post any functionality requests you have on this forum."

I think I was perhaps not clear in my previous post. I am aware that functionality requests can be posted on that forum.

What I am asking is whether there will be more information forthcoming from SAP regarding what they are working on for the next release (no promises, nothing set in stone etc), and posted as a sticky on that forum? The vast majority of postings there do not engender a response from the SAP team, so it is hard to know if something is in-the-works, being considered, or simply rejected. Users could also then make suggestions regarding functionality of the features being worked on to improve usability.

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajiv,

I have passed your comments to the Solution Management group. Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Paul,

I didnt find any suitable place to raise this issue so I am posting it here. My customer portal home-page always opens in Chinese or french (or anything other than English). the preferred language is English in my profile. on the home page itself also, I have selected English, then too. any idea?

Thanks,

Binita

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Binita,

Strange one this!

I will ask my colleagues though I have never heard of this issue before.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Binita,

I trust this is resolved now! If not, please do let me know.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Paul, it was resolved. I guess I had replied to your mail but anyways, should have replied here also..thanks. the problem was relating to browser.

former_member186095
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I have browsed the customer portal using my S-Id and it is success. One link that I consider can make the SAP B1 installation file sells in the black market is system data maintenance.

I think system data maintenance must not be accessible by SAP end customer if they did not paid maintenance.

Rgds,

Edited by: Paul Finneran on Jun 9, 2009 2:50 PM

former_member186095
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Thx for the info. I concern about no. 1 statement. Does it means that the customer can update and request temporary license and also delete their hardware key ? if yes, how to control if they request many temporary license quantities. Won't it give a heavy burden in the license server website of SAP ?

Rgds,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jimmy,

It is true a customer can request a license key at the customer portal. However if they exceed their license request the key will be valid only for two weeks. As for performance of the license server at SAP, there should be no marked decline in service.

Regards,

Paul

former_member186095
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your explanation. Could the SBO customer accessed their customer portal if they did not pay maintenance free after the their maintenance period end ? for example, they purchased SBO on 2008 and the maintenance period started from April 1st, 2008 to April 1st, 2009. Now is June 2009. Will they still able to access the portal and request license key (either temporary or permanent) ?

Rgds,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes they can still access sicne they may need to request a license key from time to time.

However they should not recieve support or patches as this is included as part of the maintenance fee.

Regards,

Paul

former_member186095
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for answer. Based on your answer, it means that their account is not freeze although they paid no maintenance anymore. If they have received S-Id to access the customer portal, they can do it although have no paid maintenance yet even 2 years or probably forever. Some company will have strategy to avoid upgrade patch level or version, e.g. creating new db using other localization, return to earlier patch if current patch or latest patch they have before maintenance ending is having bugs, etc.

Am I correct with the above statement ? Pls also tell me the link in the SAP partner portal that can assure your answer about temporary license or permanent license request is enable eventhough the maintenance fee is not paid anymore. Thanks in adv.

Rgds,

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want to make a "constructive" comment on this portal. I am business owner and I took SAP business one as our accounting package about a year ago. As a business leader, I always try to understand as much as I can about the "systems" we take on, so access to good information is imperative for this purpose however, the SAP approach to "internet support" was a cultural shock to me. The access to information is obscure and hard to find. However, I did find this Forum very helpful and probably the reason I recommended my company to stay with SAP.

The SAP B1 portal is a reasonable attempt to improve matters for B1 users but, it has no search facility to allow easy access to information and I can spend ages in trying to find an answer to a topic. A recent example is "Picking and Packing" in SAP B1. The only useful way to find out "where and how" is by asking other users on this protal. Surely an Index or search facility that works would improve matters.

The other "irritation" is about being asked to login several times for no apparent reason. Once I enter my S000 login why do I have to do it again and again and finally to be told that I have no access to certain information.... I always wonder what type of "secret information" am I denied....

Keep up the good work and please improve the "mapping and indexing" of information to make it useful to end users like me.

Thank you very much

Robert Czik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Robert,

Thank you for your open and frank feedback. We welcome such comments. Just a few points to yours:

1. We appreciate that the customer portal does not have a unified search built in, this is something we are looking to address in 2009.

2. If you use Single Sign on you will not have to re-enter your login details

3. I am not sure about what "secret data" you are referring to but there is a distinction made between the documentation available to out partners and to customers.

Thanks for your comments and I hope that you continue to find benefit from the SAP Community Network.

Regards,

Paul Finneran

robert_czik
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Paul

I also appreciate your response.

Yes I am using the Single Sign in but I am still asked to sign in several times.

The portal has some information but quite often people are referring me to information from other sources within your many sites and it gets confusing and frustrating ( when I cannot access the information ) I can give you many examples of information that should be available to users but it is not on your portal.

As a business one user, I would prefer not to be bombarded with irrelevant information about the bigger SAP version since it is very difficult to see what relates to me or not.

What could be helpful is a short description of relevant sources of information - perhaps you can have a LINKS tab from the B1 PORTAL to all other sources of information related to B1 only.

Since Internet Spport is very important to SAP users, please continue to improve the usability of your site

Thank you

Robert

zal_parchem2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Paul u2013 During several implementations and continual support since 2006, I always get the u201CSu201D code and steer end-users to the Customer Portal so they might become self-sufficient. Almost to the person, they gave up using SAPu2019s documentation and portal; some on the grounds of what Robert brought out, but I would like to share others of what customers call u201Cmajoru201D:

1. SAP B1 produces cryptic and non-descriptive errors. Where is there a list of what ALL those errors mean and what your customers need to do within SAP B1? How can a company develop software and not provide information on errors that often stop the customers in their tracks in getting business done?

2. SAP policy is not to support variables, but is highlighted as one example of SAPu2019s easy customization during sales presentations to customers. Imagine the shock of that one when it comes to light in the useru2019s first inquiry.

3. The search function had been described as woefully inadequate in providing usable and actionable information. Most users have time to read (at a max) ten threads or notes and then they must get back to work. Often they click out with the feeling of being overloaded with non-usable information.

4. The organization of information does not agree with how a customer would look for it. Over and over again they say that the basic structure and indexing by module within SAP B1 makes the most sense. But everything just seems to be u201Cscatteredu201D, u201Cgo here/go thereu201D.

I know firsthand how difficult it is avoid the trap of being so familiar with something that it is hard to understand why others would not understand A > B > C as I understand it. But while being a QA and End-User Support Manager, I quickly realized what I understood was irrelevant since the end-users and customers are the ones that count.

I sincerely hope there is a much stronger commitment than possibly doing something. I have heard of some SAP B1 competitors going into SAPu2019s sites and demoing these exact same points to potential customers to raise questions in their mindsu2026

I too hope you read this as constructive and look forward to seeing what changes you folks might make in the portals and documentationu2026

Thanks - Zal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Zal,

Thank you for your open and frank comments. Firstly I apologise for my delay, I was on vacation. Let me go through some of the points you raised below.

1. SAP B1 produces cryptic and non-descriptive errors. Where is there a list of what ALL those errors mean and what your customers need to do within SAP B1? How can a company develop software and not provide information on errors that often stop the customers in their tracks in getting business done?

1.1 - In version 8.8 there will be a mapping between the error messages and the help, meaning if you get an error message you will be able to find the solution directly.

2. SAP policy is not to support variables, but is highlighted as one example of SAPu2019s easy customization during sales presentations to customers. Imagine the shock of that one when it comes to light in the useru2019s first inquiry.

2.1 - I presume here you are referring to PLD, the list of variables for version 2007 can be found:

Customers: Documentation -> Release 2007A -> Modules and Features -> How-To Guides 2007 A -> How To Use the PLD Variables File in Release 2007 A

Partners: Documentation Resource Center -> SAP Business One 2007 A -> How-To Guides 2007 A -> How To Use the PLD Variables File in Release 2007 A

3. The search function had been described as woefully inadequate in providing usable and actionable information. Most users have time to read (at a max) ten threads or notes and then they must get back to work. Often they click out with the feeling of being overloaded with non-usable information.

3.1 - This is not a unique comment, we are at this time working with Enterprise search team to bring later in the year a federated search application which will greatly enhance the search experience

4. The organization of information does not agree with how a customer would look for it. Over and over again they say that the basic structure and indexing by module within SAP B1 makes the most sense. But everything just seems to be u201Cscatteredu201D, u201Cgo here/go thereu201D.

4.1 - In the Channel Partner Portal we have an application called Self Help, links can be found from the Support Hompage. I would appreciate your comments on the functionality provided there.

I believe once the above changes are implemented it will greatly enhance the experience.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would like to second Zal's comments. The part about splitting documentation available to partners and customers is not a resounding vote of confidence in customers being able to develope a comprehensive understanding of a problem or the flow of the software. I have done several upgrades to SBO And Web Tools and have not had one go smoothly yet. We have even had some parts of the software we use loose functionality due to not being supported and removed from the program. I asked were I was supposed to be able to read that about the upgrade and I was told it was in the partner information available. That is not very helpful to me.

Partners try to understand each of our business's but they don't always completely understand our business or how we use the software in some instances. It would be impractical to expect them to understand how every customer uses every piece of the software and determine how an upgrade will effect them.

As general rule the SBO white papers and not available to customers and seems to be an convenient excuse rather than working with customers to understand the needs or let them know of changes in the software upfront or changes in how it works. We need easily accessable documentation that is easily searchable.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rebecca,

I take you point. We are currently evaluating a solution where by we will release all non commercially sensitive documentation relating to Business One to both partners and customers.

In relation to comments around the upgrade? Upgrades in general are supposed to be implemented by the partner company and not by the customer. The partner IS supposed to know your business since they were involved in the implementation / training and ongoing support, otherwise how can they effectively support you. In addition to this we do not release the software upgrade packages to our customers so it is your partners responsibility to perform the upgrade and ensure minimal disruption to you. In regards the changes in functionality the normal best practice is to perform very strict post upgrade testing in a demo environment to ensure that all your current business processes will remain unaffected. If you or your partner are not making these sort of tests then even with the best QA in the world SAP cannot prevent this.

I would urge you to work more closely with your partner around the upgrade procedures already established for your company. In relation to changes in software this is documented in release notes which you can access, and for every patch we release it is accompanied by an info file, which can also be found in a the software download area and will document to you the changes which will be applied during the upgrade. Your partner can access this when downloading the software. This also concerns me, your partner is delivering to you the software to perform the upgrade without the handover of necessary materials (white papers/release ntoes, info file). This information is all released to the partner and they should assume some responsibility if your upgrades do not run smoothly.

To find this overview note simply make a note search for "overivew 47" and you will get the note with all the changes to be implemented in that patch.

Once more, thank you for your input, already we have an action plan in operation and for future upgrades there is some food for thought for you in the above.

Regards,

Paul Finneran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Customer Portal this forum are very helpful to the user. The problem is in the SBO can be resolved properly. For users who have a budget because of the limited, so can not take a maintenance contract then this forum is very helpful. Still high cost of maintenance should not lead to the accumulation of (penalty) if the user purchased an additional license again. Yes, sometimes the customer can make a portal frustrating because the link does not work. We recommend the customer portal can be the best media solutions for the user SBO. Thanks you very much.

robert_czik
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Paul

I would like to give you further input about your site. Our company has struggled for about 13 months due to a bad installation and implementation by our Sap Partners. The issue was in understanding the posting mechanism to the Nominal Ledgers which is done by Item Group posting. The information regarding the terminology used by SAP and the posting methods were not available and this is the type of "secret information" that should be readily available the end users - particularly if the SAP Partner is not well trained in setting up a new installation. The Item Group posting screen is not easy to understand and it needs further explanation. Without this information, SAP accounts cannot function properly. Even now, I am not aware where do you keep such information?

The other point is about logging any questions via the portal: the process of placing a question or reporting a problem is ridiculous. I had had several trials in reporting/asking something and I gave up. I am the MD of our company so I asked our IT expert, who is an experienced programmer, to go trough the 5 mandatory stages required in order to place a question (this was a challenge from me...) after about 20 minutes he also gave up because he had no idea what questions where and the right replies in order to complete the 5 stages...I wonder why? I also found the telephone number to contact the portal but I was told that they cannot talk to me unless I formally place my question via the portal - a vicious circle to frustrate users?

My feeling is that users are not important to SAP - what a shame.

Robert

P.S. SAP B1 is an excellent piece of software that needs 1st class backup, either from the Sap Partner or from a good Internet site, but when they are both failing, one is in deep trouble!

zal_parchem2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello again Paul - wow - developing into a lively discussion here...

Agung - Good Points! I agree with the jist of your message. This forum can be invaluable (as Robert stated also) for folks trying to find solutions to the questions they pose. There certainly is no question about that! With the help of other customers, partners, and SAP folks, answers will come across. I, like some other folks, just think that SAP can provide a vastly improved process in getting the needed information out to its partners and customers alike. I truly believe that is what everyone is saying here.

Paul - Good to hear about that help function in version 8.8 - looking forward to it. I already had the exact document you mention for variables, but the support factor was my emphasis. As you suggested, I entered the Partner Portal and used the Self-Help function there. It is an improvement with the modular arrangement, and then with the arrangement of articles and notes, etc split out. But the ability to drill down to exactly what is needed is still lacking (Maybe by introducing the new search engine you describe above it will improve? Maybe I don't know how to use it correctly?). The effort to organize the data SAP has at its disposal will be interesting, especially with the drivers. In a former "business life" I was responsible for an electronic catalog (even before anyone knew what an electronic catalog was) containing more than 500K products with a minimum of 20 attributes each. The hierarchy of the search drivers was the critical component of providing the customer the correct information - 20 years later and they are still using the same drivers. That will also be the key to SAP's success in the area being discussed here. Does not make any difference what search engine you use, if you do not have the drivers correct, things will not improve greatly - actionalbe information must come to the fore. Explanation of my ideas would take too much space here, but the gist is to get input from your partners and customers and simple, simple, simple walk through.

Robert and Rebecca - almost all customers I work with want to become self-sufficient in using SAP B1 and that is also my goal. The cost of consultants/partners is always a business consideration for small and medium sized businesses that needs to be taken seriously. The best partners are the ones who provide both information and skills transfer - not always true in reality. And I don't think it is a matter of SAP not caring; I sense that it is more SAP B1 has grown to a point where some cracks are developing and becoming more obvious (this is so common with the growth of a software package). I can understand why SAP B1 now diverts folks here to the forum after a year, especially with their goal for new installations, and I personally hope they are taking the time to re-think some basics that will accompany that growth. This is probably selfish, but I hope the first area they tackle is with SAP B1 information distribution (maybe your hope also?)...

Well, that is my two cents worth for the month...

Seriously, many thanks for providing an area where we can have input and discuss this openly...

Zal

robert_czik
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Zal

It may be of interest to you that I was a few minutes away from "writing off" SAP B1 because I could not "buy" the right expertise to get us out of the mess that the initial setup created. In fact I paid several "top experts" that had the expertise but, BUT, when you get your accounts into "total mess" becuase everything is posted into the wrong areas, it takes more than SAP expertise to sort it out. I invested 12 months of my time to do this and I can honestly tell you that I could have not "purchased" anyone to sort this out. Because I am also an Accountant by profession and I like Database construction matters, I took it on myself to "rescue" the SAP project. In the process I managed to find the strong points in SAP B1 and found some fundamental faults (which we have to workaround) but I realised that SAP B1 can be workable with the right support. The SAP community (particularly somone called Suda) was helpful in restoring my faith in this product but the official SAP support system is far from matching my expectations. For many years we used SAGE accounts who have a first class suspport and it was a culture shock for me to realise that the SAP world is so different. Worse in many ways and so much better in others. I am here to add my voice to ensure that my investment was not in vain...

Robert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I believe a good discussion and to open our world to you all is key. I would like to make some replies to your threads (many thanks to all who have contributed so far)

1. Our documentation structure will be opened much more to public in the future, this however requires some time so please bear with us.

2. If your partner hides some vital information please contact your channel manager to ask to move to a new partner, do not stay where you recieve poor service. This will in turn raise the bar for all partners.

3. We currently have 99% completed the definitions for metadata for our documentation, this is the first steps for a new search engine, however the interface is still a long way from being completed.

4. Maintenance is recomended at 17% of undiscounted license, ensure that you are recieving the correct/good service for what you are paying for.

5. We have some specific support partners in US/Germany who are solely focussed in support matters, if your partner in these regions is not doing the business please consider one of these, contact me via this thread if you have any questions.

6. In the Partner Portal we have improved our Message Wizard which is designed to take all information upfront from partners, not sure what steps you are referring to so please contact me via this thread if you would like a quick "walk through"

7. As for the issue of the nominal accounts, here I am not the expert, but you could endeavour to contact your LPE or channel manager to try to resolve this? Could be difficult to retro fix this as I imagine 1000's of transactions already in the DB, but they may be able to assist. Again, if your partner does not help and this is something you are paying for then consider another partner.

8. I am not sure on the exact differences you refer to against Sage, we operate through an indirect model, meaning that our partners are expected to deliver 1st & 2nd level support and SAP will deliver 3rd level. We did, in the past, offer a direct model, whereby we would take over the support direct from the customer, but in reality there was very little take up from the community so this model has been cancelled.

9. Finally and I am sure is not one everyone likes to hear, if you are not paying maintenance then your chances to recieve any support are slim. I strongly advocate this forum to resolve your issues, your peers are some of the best in class, have the most experience and can give you the quickest answers.

I really appreciate your open feedback, I want to assure you all that we are moving in the right direction, however that takes some time and I appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Paul Finneran

robert_czik
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Paul

I would like to clarify some points about the "Sap Support issues". Our company has a fairly expensive "support contract" and we paid "SAP experts" to help us however, the issues I am raising are genuine SAP problems that I feel need attention. I am not seeking help with our Accounts because I feel that we now have sufficient understanding about SAP B1 internal structure.

Our original SAP partner that "sold us the system" has actually given up and our contract was transferred to a new company who has much better understanding of SAP and indeed, it gives us a better service. But, the structural issues with your support system and information retreival are still persisting.

The main points I am raising here are not issues that our channel partner can resolve and it remains with your company. The fact that I cannot place a question to SAP because the process is too cubersome, or you have illogical screens in B1 that needs redesign or you have some basic functionality missing.

SAGE had a "can do and can resolve" attitude but SAP B1 is a far better product so lets improve the service in the background and all of us will start recommending it.

Thank you

Robert

PS Our company is based in the UK and we employ 65 people

zal_parchem2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hello Paul -

Thanks for the responses...and a request of you...

Can you send me a list of those companies that are focused solely on support for both United States and Germany? (the companies you mention in #5 above)

I think my address is listed on my profile...

Thanks - Zal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Zal,

I sent you an email.

Rgards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dr Mr Paul,

It seems that SAP doesn't care about the problem/error reported by customer on SAP B1 Customer Portal.

I had raised message using customer S-User id (message number 542952 and 481306) more than a week ago regarding" Inventory Revalution" error and even after many follow ups got no reply or solution to the problem

Please do the needful as not getting solution in time is affecting the business process badly

Regards,

Mukesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mukesh,

As you may know SAP Business one operates in a tiered approach whereby er sell Business One through our partners. The customer portal does not provide a direct connection from customer to SAP Business One product support unless explicitly stated.

In this instance I cannot find your message here at SAP meaning it is most likely at your partner side who has not forwarded it to us. I suggest that you contact your partner to see the status of the message as your incident is most likely sitting in their queue. If you could provide me your customer number or name I should be able to locate your message status.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mr Paul,

Customer name is "Techniaids Hydrulic Industries Pvt." , message number 481306

FYI I'm SAP B1 Functional consultant from SAP Channel partner " Context Labs Pvt Ltd" currently providing the customer support to above mentioned client and had used his S-User id ( S0006381094) for posting the message as we could not figure out the solution to this problem and I would like to know that if customer raises message by himself , wouldn't he get the solution to it.

Regards,

Mukesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mukesh,

I have found the message, its status is at Partner side. It was never sent to SAP at any point. if you would like SAP Business One Product Support to work on this issue please send it to SAP.

Regards,

Paul

former_member629150
Participant
0 Kudos

Why Should the partners have access to more and better information than the user???? Some kind of protectionism. Personally, I also find the portal very cumbersume and very unorganized. Want to get something else off my chest.... SAP functionality is very lacking on the accounting functionality. Two very basic functions that SAP doesn't offer:

1. recurring payables (example Rent.. I don't get an invoice, but is due every month. Why can't I put a recurring A/P and allow checks to print normally?

2. Has to do with consistency of posting... Why cant I assign an expense account to a vendor so every time I post to that vendor the default expense account for that vendor comes up. Example, rent. every time my A/P clerk posts rent, she has to pause to remember the correct rent expense account to post to. If she doesn't get it right, my financials are inconsistent among rent expense accounts. The most basic of software programs offer this functionality (peachtree, quickbooks, MYOB). Where is SAP??? Disappointed Accounting end user!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Chad,

Thank you for your open comments, that is the idea for this thread!

I would of course like to reply and ensure we deal with your concerns. Firsly, the information available to customers and partners is a matter of roles. For example:

1. In terms of documentation virtually both have the same data in the document resource centres.

2. SAP notes are available to both, there is no differentiation here

3. SCN, both partners and customers can access information here (wiki, blogs, threads etc)

What is a difference is that we provide marketting / support material to partners to enable them to provide you best support as you are paying for it. In addition partners can access the software which customers cannot in most cases.

I would say therefore there is not such a difference as should cause customers concern, what is important is the customers can access the customer portal.

In relation to your questions about SAP functionality:

1. recurring payables (example Rent.. I don't get an invoice, but is due every month. Why can't I put a recurring A/P and allow checks to print normally?

P.F. This functionality is planned for a future version, however please check with your partner in case there exists an addon which could provide this functionality for you.

2. Has to do with consistency of posting... Why cant I assign an expense account to a vendor so every time I post to that vendor the default expense account for that vendor comes up. Example, rent. every time my A/P clerk posts rent, she has to pause to remember the correct rent expense account to post to. If she doesn't get it right, my financials are inconsistent among rent expense accounts. The most basic of software programs offer this functionality (peachtree, quickbooks, MYOB). Where is SAP??? Disappointed Accounting end user!

P.F. Here you can set up a recurring posting with the correct expense account, this should not be an issue and should be simple to setup, here your partner should be able to advise or if you prefer to post a thread in the main Business One forum,

Regards,

Paul Finneran

SAP Business One Support

former_member186095
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Agung,

I am just read your comment about customer portal and SBO forum.

I think all SBO end users must take maintenance and support and renew the agreement yearly.

I am afraid that your account will be frozen and it made you unable to access customer portal. Your S-Id to access the portal is frozen because not pay the maintenance

You also will not unable to raise a support message if you did not take maintenance or pay maintenance. You can not receive the patch level and new B1 product version.

Rgds,