cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Definitions: ECC vs ERP

christopher_griffin
Participant

Hi

Can someone explain to me the difference between "ECC" and "ERP"? There seems to be some confusion/overlap here. Is "ECC" now officially retired by SAP? Or is it a subset of the ERP solution?

In fact, I've also heard the terms "ERP Core" and "ERP central" - are those something different?

Would welcome a good link.

Chris

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184655
Active Contributor

Dear Christopher,

ECC stands for Enterprise Central Component.

ERP Stands for Enterprise Resource planning.

The below content is taken from wikipedia,

SAP R/3 is the former name of the main enterprise resource planning software produced by SAP AG. It

was renamed SAP ERP. It was later renamed Enterprise Central Component or ECC.

SAP is an Enterprise Resource Planning software.SAP ECC 5.0 ERP is the successor of SAP R/3

4.70. The newest version of the suite is MySAP 2005 or SAP ECC 6.0.

Regards

Mangalraj.S

christopher_griffin
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the responses.

Actually, I am certain I read that the term "mySAP" has been retired. And I don't trust wikipedia when it says that ECC is the new name for ERP, because I read ERP everywhere.

I know it sounds silly, but this kind of thing is really important for some documents I am writing.

Ideally I would like to see some kind of diagram that shows the scope of what is meant by ECC/ERP/Business Suite etc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

check in service market place

christopher_griffin
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for your very verbose response, but the service marketplace is a big place. I have already looked through and not found the answer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

And I don't trust wikipedia when it says that ECC is the new name for ERP, because I read ERP everywhere.

I don't think wikipedia says so. I didn't read all of it though.

SAP ECC is the new name for SAP ERP.

There are a lot of other ERP manufacturers that didn't change their brand. ERP still is a generic term.

regards

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

0 Kudos

Hi Chirstopher,

SAP ERP -SAP ERP is enterprise resource planning software developed by the German company SAP SE. SAP ERP incorporates the key business functions of an organization. The latest version (SAP ERP 6.0) was made available in 2006. The most recent Enhancement Package (EHP7) for SAP ERP 6.0 was released in 2013

SAP ECC - SAP ERP Central Component (ECC) - That is the part of ERP component where ECC is the central component where over it any system can be made with other component / module.

0 Kudos

SAP ERP is a component of MySAP Business Suite and  SAP AG has graduated from R/3 to Latest ECC 6.0- which provides more diversified platform to various other apps n platforms like

• MySAP Business Suite
  • Web Application Server
  • XI / PI
  • Enterprise Portal
  • Mobile Infra
  • BI to HANA

While SAP ERP is SD,  PP, PM, QM, MM/WMS, FI, CO.

Hope it helps...

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP Business suite is composed of SAP CRM, SAP SCM,SAP SRM and SAP ERP. SAP ERP has several components which include ERP Central Component(ECC) and others.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

ERP application is an integrated enterprise resource planning (ERP) software manufactured by SAP AG that targets business software requirements of midsize and large organizations in all industries and sectors. the company that provides the enterprise resource planning solution has upgraded the package and lauched it as SAP ECC 6.0 in 2005. ECC stands for Enterprise Central Component. The purpose of positioning it as ECC is to enable SAP to build and develop an environment of other products that can function upon the foundation of the central component

R/3 Enterprise was replaced with the introduction of ERP Central Component

We can define as ERP as a whole sum pacakage and ECC as its main component

Thx

Shilpa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

SAP R/3 was officially launched on 6 July 1992. It was renamed SAP ERP and later again renamed SAP ECC (ERP Central Component). SAP came to dominate the large business applications market over the next 10 years. SAP ECC 5.0 ERP is the successor of SAP R/3 4.70. The newest version of the suite is SAP ECC 7.0.

Source- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAP_R/3

History of SAP R/3

ERP is name of a service- which many other company providers, But ECC is the ERP tool for SAP.

Thanks and regards,

Roshan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christ,

ERP is the product type stands for Enterprise Resource Planning.

This is not a original naming convention of SAP, So many ERPs available in now a days.

ECC is the version name of SAP, stands for Enterprise Central Component. This is the original version naming convension of SAP.

Regards

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.