Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Explorer7 Blocking Crystal Reports 2008 CrystalReportViewer Export

Former Member
0 Kudos

Visual Studio 2008 (VS 2008)

Crystal Reports 2008 (CR 2008)

Production Server: Windows Server 2003

Internet Browser: Internet Explorer 7 (IE7)

Crystal Reports Version: 12.0.2000.0 on both development and production

IE7 message: To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options.

I am in the process of updating my websites from Visual Studio 2005 and Crystal Reports.NET 2005 to Visual Studio 2008 and Crystal Reports 2008.

In VS 2005, when creating a PDF or exporting from the CrystalReportsViewer, IE7 does not block the creation/download of the PDF, nor the download of an export.

Whereas, with VS 2008 and CR 2008 using the CrystalReportViewer in IE7 blocks the creation/download of the PDF, and the download of an export.

The message returned in the yellow box at the top of IE7 display window: To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options.

If I select down Download Fileu2026 from the options, I must restart the PDF or export.

If I show another report, I have the same problem, even if I have stated to download the fileu2026.

1. What is different between the CrystalReportViewer versions?

2. What is recommended to avert this problem without having users change their IE7 settings?

-

I found this settings change at: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?journalid=63F807B28AEC39C...

Turn off the Information Bar for file downloads

This procedure will allow Web sites to automatically prompt you when downloading files, bypassing the Information Bar.

1. Open Internet Explorer.

2. Click Tools on the menu bar.

3. Click Internet Options...

4. At the Internet Options window, click the Security tab.

5. Click the Custom Level... button.

6. Security Settings window Security Settings window, scroll down to Downloads in the Settings: list.

7. Click to select Enable under Automatic prompting for file downloads.

8. Click the OK button.

9. At the Warning! message, click the Yes button to change the security settings for the zone.

10. Click the OK button.

You will now receive prompts directly from a Web site if it needs to download a file to your computer.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you tried enabling the Activex features for the browser?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, ActiveX features have been activated in the browser...

This is not an ActiveX issue...it is an issue regarding downloads being blocked by Internet Explorer 7.

Older versions of CrystalReportViewer (like VS 2005 .Net version) do not have the downloading issue.

Order of events that cause this to popup on production using Crystal Reports 2008:

1. View a report in CrystalReportViewer

2. Click on the print button in the CrystalReportViewer

3. Box pops up asking which pages to export to PDF

4. Click Export button

5. Message pops up: To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options.

6. Right Click on message and accept Download File

7. Nothing happens

8. Must re-Click the print button in the CrystalReportViewer

9. Box pops up asking which pages to export to PDF

10. Click Export button

11. PDF is downloaded for View or Save purposes

12. View another report repeat from step 1.

What can I do so users can use IE7 and not have this issue, or have to change their settings?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you please make sure that we have the aspnet client and CrystalreoprtViewersXX folder are present in the default web site?

Also can you try placing the viewer downloaded file manually in C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files location?

Does it help?

Former Member
0 Kudos

AG:

1. CrystalReportsViewers12 folder is present in the default website. Also, CrystalReportsViewers10_5, and CrystalReportWebFormViewer2 are in the default website.

2. What is the aspnet client?

3. What is the viewer downloaded file that should be manually placed in C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files location? Currently, MUWebContol Class, and WUWebControl Class are the only files in that directory.

Thank you for your help thus far

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any further ideas? -- Patti

daniel_paulsen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When viewing the report in your browser, go to Tools --> Internet Options.

On the security tab, click on "Trusted Sites" and then the "Sites" button.

this should open a window with the URL to the site you are using to view the report. You can add this or use a wildcard if you have multiple sites on the domain (ie http://*.myCompany.com)

Dan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dan:

Thank you for the recommendation, but it did not change anything...the same message comes up in Internet Explorer 7: To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Any other ideas?

Oh, one piece of information I did not mention, is this is a secure site; does that have any bearing?

--Patti

0 Kudos

Hi Patti,

When you say this is a secure site what do you mean? Are you connecting using https://.. What user account is your app running under and what account type is the user logging onto your site with, NT Authentication, AD.. etc.? Is it using the guest account and if so have you enabled the guest account in IIS?

Try setting the security level as low as you can in IE and see if that allows the user to download the file.

Do any download file types work?

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don:

Yes, this is an https:// site.

This is using X500 accounts for security. Once logged in, the site is running on an anonymous local user account.

On Internet Options | Security | Internet | Setting the security level as medium on (the lowest I was able to go) in IE7 does not allow the user to download without the message coming up. It even states on the side (- Prompts before downloading potentially unsafe content)

Workaround has been:

1. Set the site as a trusted site (Internet Options | Security | Trusted Sites | Sites | Add )

2. On the Trusted Sites Zone | Security level of this zone | Custom levelu2026

3. Downloads | Automatic prompting for file downloads u2013 change to Enable

Thanks for your input. I would like to resolve this issue. CrystalReportsViewer - Crystal Reports Exports/Printing methodology has been changed since Visual Studio 2005 .NET version.

Thank you for your input.

Patti

0 Kudos

Hi Patti,

This isn't something Cr can change, if it was it would be a security flaw. IE 7 and windows 2008 has enhancement security built in by default. I suggest you discuss this with Microsoft or simply get used to it. We can't sidetrack security, if IE 7 is prompting it's a configuration setting in Windows. Adding your site to the trusted setting should fix this, if not its because it still thinks it's un-safe.

Possibly it's a firewall setting that's causing this. If you have Windows Firewall running have a look in it's trusted site list and add your site to it also.

Thanks again

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don:

Thank you for your help. I have come to the same conclusion: use a different browser, or adjust IE7. I am still curious as to what changed in the Crystal Reports Viewer...

Thanks again.

--Patti

Answers (0)