cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERROR in the RFC communication when parabatch is set to more 3 (default)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

We have a 10 blades BIA system connecting to our BW Production. When we set the parabatch to more than the default 3 (we set to 4 or 5), We keep getting 'Batchpara Error' and 'Error in the RFC Communication: Error when opening an RFC Connection' during the initial index build. Here are what we do and what we see:

1. set parabatch to 5 and build 1 initial index (cube is 46 mil rows, 22 GB in size) - Failed with the above errors

2. set parabatch back to 3 and build 1 initial index (same cube as above)- successful but slow

3. set parbatch back to 3 and build 2 initial indexes simultaneously (16 mil rows/4GB and 6 mil rows/2 GB) - Failed with the above errors.

In the BIA index log I see the following error:

Error in the RFC communication: Error when opening an RFC connection (TREX_BIP)

Message no. STREX005

In SM37 in one of the logs I see the followings:

Parabatch Error

Any light you can shed on why we are encountering this issue will be much appreciated. Also, I observed that there is a long idle time in all systems (BIA, DB2, BW) and seemed like their respective resources were not utilized at all. Once in a while I do see surge of cpu/memory usage in all systems but not too terrible. I'm puzzled by why there is such long interval of idle time in all systems while the initial index build is going on.

BTW...we did the same thing (set parabatch to 5, and run parallel initial builds) in our non-prod BIA (2 blades) and QA BW landscape and do not have any issue at all.

Thanks!

Kee

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Vitaliy-R
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Hi,

This issue might not be necessarily related to BATCHPARA, which describes number of background processes, but to dialog processes not available to transfer data from BW to BWA.

Regards,

-Vitaliy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

PLease check the sapnotes and check the developer trace for more information.

Note 314530 - Number of RFC/CPIC connections for external clients

Note: 1070034

It can also be because your system has reached it its max gateway connections...also check whether you are getting error message "Communication error, CPIC return code 017, SAP return code 450

" in sm21 ???

Regards

Karthikeyan.K

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kee,

The more process you use, the more burden on BW and BWA system. From the cases you described, it seems your BW system is not so powerful. So you can reduce your package size(in RSDDBIAMON2->Global parameter) to reduce the transfered data.

What I feel strange is that you said you have this error when you do initial filling. BWA use ICM instead of RFC to load s/d table. And normally you can use ICM to load F/D/X/Y table. So you can also refer to note 1091088.

Hope my answer help you.

Joseph

jgleichmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kee,

which BIA Rev and BW kernel do you use? Have you already read this thread here and its notes:

Have you checked the RFC/ICM connection during the time of the error?

Best Regards,

Jens

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jen,

The revision is 49 and the BW kernel level is 159. We have the exact same thing in our non-prod environments (i.e. QA). Thanks for your reply!

Kee