cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting bobj is undefined since installing Crystal 2008 Runtime SP1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Back in December I posted this...

After receiving the 'bobj is undefined' error and doing some searching here for answers, I found that crystalreportviewers12 was under my Default Web Site, but my dev machine (and potentially our customers) is not using the Default Web Site. After creating a virtual directory pointing to the default this worked fine...

This has continued to work for us until we installed Crystal 2008 Runtime SP1. Now we are getting the 'bobj is undefined' error again. I found that if I deploy our apps to the default web site I also got this error until I added a script reference in our .aspx file that handles the report viewer call...

src="/crystalreportviewers12/js/crviewer/crv.js" type="test/javascript"

With that added the reports came up fine. This does not work, though, when we do not deploy our apps to the default web site and use the virtual directory to point to crystalreportviewers12 (as in my original post above). Are there changes we need to make with SP1 installed or a way to get the script reference to point to the correct path for crv.js?

Thanks.

Edited by: Peter Berton on Mar 31, 2009 6:47 PM

Edited by: Peter Berton on Mar 31, 2009 6:48 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have done more testing and investigating of different options with

this and have narrowed the problem to the web.config file that gets

installed under the /crystalreportviewers12 folder. I found that the

problem is with one particular line in this file, which is...

<sessionState timeout="20" />

I tried changing the value 20 to much higher numbers (up to 200000) and

still got the 'bobj is undefined' error. However, if I totally remove

this line from the web.config file our reports work (in both the case

where we install to the default web site and also when installed to a

custom website).

Do you know why this line would cause the error? In IIS 6 the

crystalreportviewers12 folder is not an application - just a virtual

directory, so should the sessionState entry even be in

the web.config file?

Former Member
0 Kudos

<p>I just wanted to add some of my findings on this as I have managed to get

this working on Windows 2008 with my web application running as virtual

directory under the default website. Previous to this, I was receiving the bobj

is undefined error.</p>

<p><strong>My Build<br />

</strong>VS2005 SP1<br />

Crystal 2008 Merge Modules from SP1 Fix Pack 4 were used in a Pre-Configuration

package to deploy the CrystalReportViewers12 requirements<br />

Windows Server 2008<br />

.Net 2.0</p>

<p><strong>Javascript reference</strong><br />

I tried adding this javascript reference to my web page with the viewer, it

stopped the javascript error, however my report viewer was missing all of the

other resources (styles, images etc) which I think is the same problem with it

not finding the javascript file in the first place. Therefore, I backed out of

this change:<br />

<pre>src=&quot;/crystalreportviewers12/js/crviewer/crv.js&quot; type=&quot;test/javascript&quot;</pre>

<p><br />

<strong>Replacing the &quot;aspnet_client&quot; folder</strong><br />

Replacing the aspnet_client folder from the development machine to the server

did nothing for me, so I backed out of this change.</p>

<p><strong>Miscellaneous other items within this thread</strong><br />

I did not uninstall and re-install IIS<br />

I did not uninstall and re-install anything crystal wise<br />

I did not have this problem with Windows 2003 servers or Windows XP (dev

machine) - only Windows 2008 Server<br />

I did not touch the web.config of the crystalreportsviewers12 application</p>

<p><strong>Daniel Paulsen&#39;s suggestion helped we get this going for Windows 2008

Server with some slight changes</strong>I configured where the application looks

for this folder by using the following Help file (<a target="_blank" href="http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/cr2008V1/en/crsdk_net_dg_12_en.chm">http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/cr2008V1/en/crsdk_net_dg_12_en.chm</a>)

adding the resourceURI code. When I did this, it worked perfectly. However it

does introduce addition deployment work and files to my release package which I

wanted to try avoid. Instead of referencing the crystalreportviewers12 folder as

being under my application with the ~, I instead removed the ~ and left it as /crystalreportviewers.&nbsp;

I did this because all of the files are there when you look in IIS Manager

(thanks for my Pre-Requisites Merge Module deployment).

</p>

<p>With my change, you do

not need to copy the crystalreportviewers12 folder into your application, you

just need to add the code to the web.config and you can get it all working on

Windows 2008.&nbsp; The good news is that this continues to work for Windows

2003, so one build will do for now.&nbsp; The ideal approach would of course be

to not have to do this at all.<br />

</p>

<p><strong>Summary</strong><br />

I really think the problem is crystalreportsviewers12 not being able to access

all of its resources for some reason - perhaps something is not being set during

the Merge Module&#39;s installation. I hope SAP look at this further so we can avoid

having to put in these work arounds<br />

</p>

<p>Robin</p>

Edited by: Robin Marshall on May 28, 2009 9:26 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robin,

It's really a great post. It resolved my problem too.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thankyou verymuch..

I found many answer , But only your answer solved my problem.

Thanking you once again.

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

0 Kudos

Hopefully this will help you Error BOBJ Crystal Report Solution - YouTube

Former Member
0 Kudos

I use Crystal report V13 with VS2010,I got this problem but I saw my solution,It might be help you.

Please try to my step by step.

For my version all seem your.

1. You need to use Web Application Project,No Website Project because Web App will combine DLL to project also.

2. Copy C:\inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client\system_web\4_0_30319\crystalreportviewers13 (you'll got it when you install -CRforVS_redist_install_32bit_13_0.exe) To your project such as (ProjectName/crystalreportviewers13)

3. copy this below to your web.config

<configSections>

<sectionGroup name="businessObjects">

<sectionGroup name="crystalReports">

<section name="rptBuildProvider" type="CrystalDecisions.Shared.RptBuildProviderHandler, CrystalDecisions.Shared, Version=13.0.2000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304, Custom=null" />

<section name="crystalReportViewer" type="System.Configuration.NameValueSectionHandler" />

</sectionGroup>

</sectionGroup>

</configSections>

<businessObjects>

<crystalReports>

<rptBuildProvider>

<add embedRptInResource="true" />

</rptBuildProvider>

<crystalReportViewer>

<add key="ResourceUri" value="/crystalreportviewers13" />

</crystalReportViewer>

</crystalReports>

</businessObjects>

3.4 Publish your web application with FTP Mode to your any folder,and copy this publish to your web server then TEST it!

Please try to do this,if you have any problem please post your error again,I'll review it in soon.

Naphong

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Naphong, thank you very much for this info. In my experience, 90% of the time the error is resolved by the actions you describe. For those following this thread - while as some point out the error is nonsensical / meaningless, it is relatively well documented for versions of CR earlier than CRVS2010. But the resolution pattern is the same for all versions. I will be creating a KBase specific to CRVS2010 regarding this error. I will also be updating the following two articles;

[Dynamic images appear as red X on Crystal Reports in VS .NET web viewer|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/a0437ea8-97d2-2b10-2795-c202a76a5e80]

[Viewer toolbar images appear as red u2018X on Crystal Reports VS .NET web viewer|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/50aa68c0-82dd-2b10-42bf-e5502b45cd3a]

Finally an additional piece of info for those following this thread, see KBase [1547124 - CRVS2010 - Red X displayed in report instead of dynamic images|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/oss_notes_boj/sdn_oss_boj_bi/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/scn_bosap/notes%7B6163636573733d36393736354636443646363436353344333933393338323636393736354637333631373036453646373436353733354636453735364436323635373233443330333033303331333533343337333133323334%7D.do]

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just letting you know that , If your website has been deployed under the default web site in IIS , It wonu2019t work.

You should create a new site for your web application.

-Azi

Former Member
0 Kudos

My development machine has the following:

-Windows XP Pro

-.NET 4.0

-Visual Studio 2010

-SAP Crystal Reports, version for Visual Studio 2010 version 13.0.0.99

-Crystal Reports loads fine.

Server:

-Windows 2008

-.NET 4.0

-IIS 7

-SAP Crysal Reports runtime engine for .NET Framework version 13.0.0.99

SOLUTION:

Copy \Inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client\system_web\4_0_30319\crystalreportviewers13\ from your development machine to \inetpub\websites\devapps\aspnet_client\system_web\4_0_30319\ and Crystal Reports will start loading

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, I've been getting this same 'bobj' is undefined error, but none of the suggestions in this thread have seemed to fix it. Nobody else has mentioned this previously, but when I run my application in debug mode, I cannot even view the page containing my report, Default.aspx, and it also fails when I deploy it to my machine's web server. I'm not sure if this difficulty indicates a different cause/solution to the problem.

I have tried several variations of adjusting the resourceURI attribute, including setting the value to the absolute path to the folder (e.g. C:\Desktop\...), but to no avail. Neither moving the aspnet_client folder to any location, nor adding the script tag (as well as setting the absolute path location to the .js file) have had any affect-I receive the error every time I try to run the page.

I am running VS 2008 and IIS 7. Any help would be appreciated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am answering back under my new account rather than Peter's (here where I work) where this thread originated...

To reiterate - I am running Windows Server 2003/IIS 6/VS 2005. We are installing a suite of apps that installs Crystal Runtime 2008 (NOT SP1) under the default web site and then installing our Web Portal Software which DOES install Crystal SP1. The Web Portal apps run on SharePoint. Our reports would display fine before SP1 but now we get 'bobj is undefined' whether the portal is installed to the default or a custom web site.

I tried a simple test application in VS 2005 that just attempts to use the report viewer to display a .rpt. If I create this test app under a custom web site I get the bobj is undefined error as expected. If I copy the aspnet_client folder from the default web site to my custom web site (as mentioned in previous posts) it works. However, if we install our Web Portal to a custom web site, copying the aspnet_client folder does not work. I'm wondering if part of the problem has something to do with SharePoint?

Something I noticed is that prior to SP1 a web.config file was not being created in the crystalreportviewers12 sub directory, but SP1 is putting one there. In further testing I found that if I rename the web.config located here so that it is not used I do not get the bobj error when I install our portal to the default web site.

In the case where the portal software is installed to a custom web site I found that the reports displayed if...

1. I created a virtual directory (crystalreportviewers12) under the custom web site that points to the aspnet_client folder under the default web site and gave this just Read permissions.

2. Again renamed the web.config file under crystalreportviewers12 under the default site so that it was not used.

3. Changed the web.config file under the custom web site as Dan mentioned above though I had to leave off the tilde so it was just /crystalreportviewers12.

Does having to do these extra steps make sense? Does the fact that SharePoint is in the equation have any relevance?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

You have copied the folder "aspnet_client" from the location C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\" of the Default website to the directory of the custom web site in IIS .

Now redeploy the application using latest runtimes for CR 2008 SP1.

Download runtimes from here:

[https://websmp230.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/bobj_download/main.htm]

Regards,

Shweta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shweta,

I copied the aspnet_client folder to under my custom website and tried to re-deploy our .Net applications using the CRRuntime_12_1_mlb.msi file from the link you provided. This appears to be the same .msi we were using in our install. When we re-deploy, though, won't the Crystal 2008 SP1 just update the default website again rather than my custom website? Trying this I still received the 'bobj is undefined' error.

Also, should the Hot Fix packs also be installed or don't they apply to the Runtime version?

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Try to reinstal IIS.

Create new virtual directory pointing to your application.

Add aspnet folder from working machine.

Now run your application.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Shweta

daniel_paulsen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The easies solution to this is to deploy the CrystalReportViewers12 virtual directory as a sub-directory of your application.

copy the Crystalreportviewers12 folder to be a sub-folder at the root of your application. You can configure where your application looks for this folder by using the following Help file (http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/cr2008V1/en/crsdk_net_dg_12_en.chm) and search the document for ("web.config"). In the section "Configuring your web.config file" follow the instructions specified for setting the resourceURI attribute. This way you can control updates to the viewers when deploying your application.

Note the resourceURI value is the name of the viewers directory and should be preceded with a Tilde

ie value="~/crystalreportviewers12"

Dan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Dan. The web.config that needs edited...is this the one under the root of my custom website (vs. the one under crystalreportviewers12)?

daniel_paulsen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

modify the web.config at the root of your application

Former Member
0 Kudos

For some reason i can't read the chm file you suggested. And i woudl really like to know how to configure the web.config file. Any other place i can read about it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1] Which OS are you using?

2] Which Visual Studio(03,05,08) you are using?

3] IIS version used ?

Thanks,

Nikhil Dharme

Former Member
0 Kudos

1] Which OS are you using? Windows Server 2003

2] Which Visual Studio(03,05,08) you are using? 2005

3] IIS version used ? IIS 6

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just give it a try by -

Replacing the "aspnet_client" folder from the running machine or from the development machine on the machine where the reports are not running fine.

Path - c:\ inetpub\wwwroot.

Hope this will help!!

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, but no luck. I copied the aspnet_client folder from Inetpub/wwwroot down to where I have my apps installed - Inetpub/wwwroot/wss/VirtualDirectories/18043 and still get the bobj error.