cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crpe32.dll,6.0 issue/CrystalReports'08-where can i get crpe32.dll(ver 12.0)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was using Crystal Reports 2006 for desigining the reports .

My client application( developed in c++) is using the Crpe32.dll(version 6.0.1.151)

,CRPAIG32.DLL(ver: 5.0), CRWRAP32.DLL(ver:5.0)

Now, I changed to Crystal Reports 2008 for designing my reports. I want my client application

should be able to interpret the new .rpt files as well as the old .rpt files.

with the old crpe32.dll(ver: 6.0.1.151) I'm getting the error in Print Engine.

I guess the problem with the crpe32.dll .

where can find the appropriate crpe32.dll and the required other dll for my client application so that it

can understand the crystal Reports 2006 file and the crystal reports 2008 files

Basically, where can i get crpe32.dll of version 12.0 which will work with the crystal report files of 2006.

Thanks,

Sudhakar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Sudhakar,

It's been a while since you have upgraded. As of Crystal Reports version 9 there is no longer any support for crpe32.dll or development header files being shipped as a reporting engine.

Your only option now that you have upgraded to CR 2008 is to move to our CR Assemblies. You will need to re-develop your application using the new report Engine, RAS ( Report Application Server ) is the replacement for report modifications now.

We highly recommend that you open each report in CR 2008 and verify each one. There have been a lot of changes since CR 6 but mostly your old report should work. Once you upgrade them the old CR 6 app will no longer be able to open the newly upgraded reports.

For more info on the technologies please download sample applications. You can still use C++ in Visual Studio .NET but it's now easier to use C# which is basically the same format as C++.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Many thanks for your response.

Let me clarify this thing, Pls. correct me if I'm wrong.

My C++ application is using Crpe32.dll of version 6.0.1.151. It is reading the Report Files developed using Crystal reports 7.0.

*Now, If my C++ application want to read the Report Files designed using Crystal Reports 2008 as well as the Old Report Files designed using Crystal Reports 7.0.*

I was under the assumption that Crpe32.dll and corresponding Header files would be availabe to support for the both Report files of Crystal Reports 7.0 as well as Crystal Reports 2008.

Do you mean to say that it is no longer possible ?

If I re-develop the application using the new report Engine, RAS ( Report Application Server ), will I be able to open the old Report Files designed using Crystal Reports 7.0 without any modification to the old Report Files.

Please clarify where can I get the step-by-step procedures in this case.

Thanks for your patience.

Many Thanks,

Sudhakar

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you mean to say that it is no longer possible ?

- that is correct. See my detailed post on the other thread you created.

If I re-develop the application using the new report Engine, RAS ( Report Application Server ), will I be able to open the old Report Files designed using Crystal Reports 7.0 without any modification to the old Report Files.

- yes

Please clarify where can I get the step-by-step procedures in this case.

- this is only a forum. not technical support, not a training site. All we can provide is resources:

The first thing you have to decide is which SDK you will be using; Java, .NET? Are you going to use Crystal Reports, Crystal Reports Report Application Server, Business Objects Enterprise? Personally, going from crpe APIs to RAS or BOE will more than likely be an overkill, but you are the one who is familiar with the requirements. The following are links I recommend you visit to determine what product and what SDK you need to use:

https://websmp106.sap-ag.de/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000713358&_SCENARIO=011000358700000002...

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/40bccdfd-88a6-2b10-1da1-c47a54b6...

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/f0070692-01a8-2a10-4797-ff0f5f73...

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/7025839b-00d4-2b10-33b4-cf0aa9e0...

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/crystalreports-dotnet?rid=/webcontent/uuid/106b8996-067e-2b10-2f8a-d... [original link is broken]

Ludek

0 Kudos

Hi Sudhakar,

The new version of CR .NET assemblies will likely open the CR 6 and 7 reports but because the reports are so old there are no guarantee's you won't have problems. We have always recommended updating the RPT files to the current version you are using simply for compatability sake. There are import routines on the open methods to bring the report file up to date while used internally but this may cause delays and mapping the various functions may have problems. There have been so many changes to CR internally within the various objects and mostly the database engine has been re-done in version 9 that it's simply best practice to update all reports.

Also as of version 9, CR is now fully UNICODE compliant.

Not sure where or why you assumed crpe32 would still be supported but bottom line is it's not and you are not licensed to use it as a report engine as of version 9.

As for updating the reports, you can use Crystal Report Designer to confirm each one and then save them to a new folder, this is the recommended way since you can confirm they do still work, or using the SaveAs method in an application will also save them in the new format.

There is no single API to verify the reports in an application other than setting the log on info using the database property bag and then viewing each report to confirm it is working properly.

Go to this link to get the current samples for .NET: https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/boc/samples

Thanks again

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

We are using CA Plex as our development tool allowing us to generate client/server applications, still C++ at least on the client side. To be able to interface with CR reports we use a third party CA Plex class library which uses the mentioned crpe32 api. We pay annual maintenance for this class library and it still is being maintained to be up to date with the current tool release.

Up to now we were using CR 8.5, but would like to upgrade to CR2008 in the future. Therefore, we did a test run with your evaluation copy of CR2008 including the appropriate runtime objects (CRRuntime_12_0_mlb.exe). Everything worked fine as expected, we could use existing 8.5 reports as well as new reports created with CR2008 (i.e. execute these reports from within our application).

Now, reading this thread we get the impression that the crpe32.dll is not supported anymore. But interestingly, this dll and all its dependent objects still are part of the most current runtime objects you deliver! The build date of crpe32.dl is 08-06-2008 and the version is 12.0.0.840. We are confused! The unsupported api still seems to be built, has an updated version id and is being delivered as part of the CR2008 runtime objects. And it works!

Can you please help us to solve our confusion?

Thanks in advance,

Peter Fabel

Edited by: lafontaen on Jun 10, 2009 2:09 PM

0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Crpe32.dll is still our core report engine and all of it's dependencies are still distributed but as Ludek mentioned as of Cr 9 no one is licensed to use crpe32.dll as a report engine and if so they violate licensing agreements. Obviously there is no support for it so if our Developers change a function your app will break and you have no option but to move to a supported engine.

Porting forward those same functions used in crpe32 are available in our .NET engine and Report Application Server engine ( RAS ). RAS is the replacement reporting engine with Report Creation API functionality so your only option is either to create your own wrapper around these supported engines or ask your maintainer to update also.

They can likely build a wrapper using RAS which should be able to be hooked into your app. They just need to map the old functions to the new functions. May be a lot of work though as they don't have a one to one function match so it may be easier to simply recreate the app.

Thanks again

Don

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The print engine APIs were retired in version 9 of Crystal Reports. The format of Crystal Reports was completely rewritten in CR 9 and thus crpe32.dll will not be able to run reports of a version higher than 8.5 (if it will run version 8.5 - I don't know).

Version 6 of Crystal Reports must be something like 10+ years old, so for you to run CR 2008 reports, you'd be looking for a 10+ year forward compatibility with version 6.

In a nut shell, you have two options:

1) Do not use Crystal Reports of version higher than 6

2) Port your app to VS .NET and run your CR 2008 version reports there

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hell sorry to bother you.. but i need urgent help from you guyz

Can any one share "cpre23.dll" file with me. urgently needed...

Thanks

Ali shan

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

see my other answers to you.

- Ludek