Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMR & Annual Inspection

michelle_cannon
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus

Business Requirement = Vendor Annual Inspection. All batches received from the vendor during the year skip inspection and on the 365th day (max.skip duration in DMR skip stage) it changes to the initial stage of the DMR which requests full inspection.

This is how the DMR is set-up:

Stage 1 (Normal): InspeServ-4, Skip - Blank, Ist - Select check box, No of insp - 1, Next stage -2, reject -1, Next -Stage 3.

Stage 2 (Skip): InspServ - blank, Skip - select check box, Ist - skip, No. of skips - 32600, Max. skip duration - 365, next - stage 1, reject - 1, next - stage 3.

Stage 3 (Tightened): InspeServ-6, Skip - Blank, Ist - skip, No of insp - 5, Next stage -1, reject -1, Next -Stage 3.

My problem

For testing purposes, I changed the Max Skip duration from 365 to 1 day.

The DMR works perfectly if I do the following.

Day 1: Set the QDL (Quality Level) at skip & MIGO a batch. This batch has skipped Characteristics & the next stage in the QDL is skip.

Day 2: No activity on this material (no MIGO or UD)

Day 3: MIGO in a batch which picks up the Ist setting of Normal & moves the QDL to skip.

However the real life situation is that the material is MIGO'ed/UD'ed in the plant every day. So this is what happens.

Day 1: Set the quality level at skip & MIGO a batch. This batch has skip characteristics & the next stage is skip.

Day 2: MIGO in another batch. This batch also has skip characteristics & the next stage is skip (now have 2 skips). (This batch should have reverted to Ist-normal)

Day 3: MIGO in a batch. This batch has skip Characteristics & the next stage is skip (now have 3 skips).

I know what the root cause is but I do not know how to solve the problem.

The root cause has something to do with the fact that the "date of last Inspection" field is dynamic. It appears that the days in the "Max Skip" duration is dependent on the the date in this field.

Therefore, the true 365th day is never reached and so the quality level never resets to the Ist stage (normal).

Is there a way to resolve this problem through config or a user exit, or something else?

Hoping somebody has some solution.

Thanks in advance,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

michelle_cannon
Explorer
0 Kudos

For information purposes:

The query posted required development.

Thanks for all contributions from various people.

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm currently testing something with this. I'll get back to you soon on this. If it works, I may know what caused your issue.

Craig

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Michelle,

Actually, I thought my efforts failed, but SAP does handle this requirement using standard functionality. Your initial posting above has the right set up from what I can see. I'm not sure why you didn't see it work as expected.

Confusion surrounds this probably due to a combinaion of bad documentation and german translation.

The are two areas you can influence a reset to the inital stage. One is the field you've been trying to work with, the dynamic reset date. But as we have seen this doesn't really work the way you want it to. This is designed to prevent an inspection from skipping when no material has been received in over and extended period of time. I.e. you set it up to inspect 1 and skip 4. But the skip steps were designed with the idea you would get regular shipments from the vendor. If you only get two shipments a year, it would take over 2 years before an inspection is required. If you set the reset period to 60, then after 60 days of not receving any shipments, the quality level is reset to the initial stage. This vendor would now be inspected almost everytime. As long as shipments come in on a regular basis the reset date is constantly recalculated forward and you follow the DMR as designed.

To make sure a vendor is inspected at least once a year, you need to use a different field. This is located in the DMR on the SKIP stage is called Max. Skip duration. This looks like what you tried at first. The help documentation is confusing as it contains the following line:

"The system first checks the number of skips and then the skip duration."

This is confusing as it makes it sound like the value in the field is the maximum number of skips allowed, but its not. It is the maximum number of days allowed at the skip stage before resetting to the stage specified.

So to make sure that a vendor is inspected once a year you would set up two stages.

Stage 1 (Normal): InspeServ-4, Skip - Blank, Ist - Select check box, No of insp - 1, New stage -2, reject -1, New Stage 1.

Stage 2 (Skip): InspServ - blank, Skip - select check box, Ist - Blank, No. of skips - 32600, Max. skip duration - 364, New stage 1, reject - 1, New stage 1.

This works fine on our system. I tested it this week and it worked exactly as expected using a Max. skip duration of 1. QL updated at UD.

One thing I did see that might have influenced your testing. I started this on Tuesday. On Wednesday I was still getting a skip lot, which surprised me in a way since I was expecting reset after one day. But on Thursday, it reset to the initial stage. So a 1 day max duration is kind of really a 2 day reset period. The difference in Last Inspection date in the QL and the current date must be greater then 1. Being just equal to 1 doesn't cut it.

So I'm not convinced there is any developemnt really required for this. If you wanted these to always come up on January 1, then you would need to do something. But to do an inspection at least once a year, shoudn't be an issue.

Craig

Edited by: Craig Snyder on Jan 21, 2010 3:49 PM

Edited by: Craig Snyder on Jan 21, 2010 4:24 PM

Edited by: Craig Snyder on Jan 21, 2010 4:25 PM

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not sure what the He## happened to by carriage returns in the last reply!

Wow!!

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Actually, I thought my efforts failed, but SAP does handle this requirement using standard functionality. Your initial posting above has the right set up from what I can see. I'm not sure why you didn't see it work as expected.

Confusion surrounds this probably due to a combination of bad documentation and German translation.

There are two areas you can influence a reset to the initial stage. One is the field you've been trying to work with, the dynamic reset date. But as we have seen this doesn't really work the way you wanted it to.

This is designed to prevent an inspection from skipping when no material has been received in over an extended period of time.

I.e. you set it up to inspect 1 and skip 4. But the skip steps were designed with the idea you would get regular shipments from the vendor. If you only get two shipments a year, it would take over 2 years before an inspection is required. If you set the reset period to 60, then after 60 days of not receiving any shipments, the quality level is reset to the initial stage. This vendor would now be inspected almost every time. As long as shipments come in on a regular basis the reset date is constantly recalculated forward and you follow the DMR as designed.

To make sure a vendor is inspected at least once a year, you need to use a different field. This is located in the DMR on the SKIP stage is called Max. Skip duration. This looks like what you tried at first. The help documentation is confusing as it contains the following line:

"The system first checks the number of skips and then the skip duration."

This is confusing as it makes it sound like the value in the field is the maximum number of skips allowed, but itu2019s not. It is the maximum number of days allowed at the skip stage before resetting to the stage specified. So to make sure that a vendor is inspected once a year you would set up two stages.

Stage 1 (Normal): InspeServ-4, Skip - Blank, Ist - Select check box, No of insp - 1, New stage -2, reject -1, New Stage 1.

Stage 2 (Skip): InspServ - blank, Skip - select check box, Ist - Blank, No. of skips - 32600, Max. skip duration - 364, New stage 1, reject - 1, New stage 1.

This works fine on our system. I tested it this week and it worked exactly as expected using a Max. skip duration of 1. QL updated at UD.

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

(Continued)

One thing I did see that might have influenced your testing. I started this on Tuesday. On Wednesday I was still getting a skip lot. This surprised me in a way since I was expecting a reset after one day. But on Thursday, it reset to the initial stage. So a 1 day max duration is kind of really a 2 day reset period.

The difference in Last Inspection date in the QL and the current date must be greater than 1. Being just equal to 1 doesn't cut it. So I'm not convinced there is any development really required for this. If you wanted these to always come up on January 1, than you would need to do something.

But to do an inspection at least once a year, this should not be an issue.

Craig

michelle_cannon
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Craig.

Thank you so much for all the effort you put into the previous thread response.

One odd functionality of DMR is that it calculates the reset date correctly initially. However if there is any activity (ie UD or a MIGO) on this material before the reset date is reached it amends the reset date field to calculate the new reset date.

This is based on the following two function modules.

QDQV_COMPUTE_RESET_DATE : resets the date after MIGO

QDQV_Q_LEVEL_UD_HEAD : resets the date after UD done on material inspection lots.

We will be working some more on it this week so I'll keep you updated.

Regards

M

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The reset date field has no relation to the Max. Skip duration. They are not related. It's not nice cause you can't really SEE where you are with Max. Skip duration in terms of days. You'd have to go back and look at the last actual inspection date.

You don't need to influence the reset date field using those FM's. If you want to, for documentaton purposes, then I guess that would be a reason. But to do what you are looking for, you don't have to.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Michelle

I think the problem is very much solvable.

What I understand from your description is For trial pupose you have tried the one day Resetting Quality Level.

Remember you can reset DM level in header screen of QDR1 or In DMR table.

It is better to keep this on DMR header and not at stage level.

now

If you are taking UD then you want Quality level to be changed then Tick on For Usage Decision.

If you are not doing UD then better to tick on at lot creation in Header.

From your queey you are taking UD ..then tick on For Usage Decision & maintain rest period in days in header only as 365

Regards

Sujit

former_member186399
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Michelle

Have you maintain in Dynamic rule Reset period Days.

Regards

Gajesh

michelle_cannon
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Gajesh

The DMR is set as being at "lot creation".

No, I have not maintained an entry in the Dynamic rule Reset period Days.

That means that if I create the Initial quality level on 1st/Apr/2009, have a reset period of 365 days, I would expect the DMR to reset to the initial stage on the 1st/April/2010.

According to SAP Help, for each change to the quality level that is made without the transaction "Change quality level", the system recalculates the reset date for the quality level. Therefore if I do a MIGO or UD on the 14th/Apr/2009, it will recalculate the reset date to be 14th/April/2010 instead of 1st/April/2010.

If I put an entry in the "Dynamic rule Reset period Days", will it automatically assign a date in the "ResetDate" field in the initial quality level screen for a material & vendor?

Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate your indepth knowledge on this topic.

Michelle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Sorry to Answer the Question that you hav asked to gajesh...

As per my knowledge

Yes ..when you mainatin "Dynamic rule Reset period Days", in QDL3 you can see the Reset date under validity tab..

"Specifies the date when the quality level will revert to and use the initial inspection stage of the dynamic modification rule."

You can manually go & change it in QDL2

Regards

Sujit

michelle_cannon
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sujit

Thanks for the quick response.

I have set-up the DMR again setting the "Dynamic rule Reset period Days" to 2.

I'll let you know how I get on in 2 days time.

Regards

Michelle

michelle_cannon
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi

The quality level was initiated yesterday & the "Dynamic rule Reset period Days" is 2, the reset date in QDL3 was 16th/Apr/2009.

However, a MIGO was done this morning on the material, which caused the following date changes in the QDL3 screen

1. "date of last Insp" changed from 14th April 2009 to the 15th April 2009

2. The reset date changed from 16th/Apr/2009 to 17th/Apr/2009.

Therefore the quality level will never revert to the initial (LST) stage of the DMR as it never "catches up" with the 2 days requirement because the "Reset date" field changes in QDL3 every time there is a MIGO or UD done on the material.

Do you know what the solution would be to this issue?

Michelle