cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports 2008 upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings everyone-

I recently installed Crystal Reports 2008 (CR2008) upgrade. Some users can access existing reports normally. Other users have to open the application first. The error that pops up for the users experiencing this is: "Error 1706 no valid source could be found for product Crystal Reports 2008.The windows installer cannot not continue." Then it attempts to locate an install file from the same location I ran the setup.exe from, it does not give me an option to "browse." We are running CR2008 installed on the local machine, it is on top of Crystal Reports Version 10, and the operating system is XP Professional SP 3. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading this.

Cheers

MJ

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

It may be the DDE command which references RPT file extensions with Crystal Reports. Open up Explorer and click on Tools and point RPT file types to crw32.exe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could you please clarify a bit on the following:

"Some users can access existing reports normally.Other users have to open the application first."

So is it the case that all users are not viewing the reports through the Crystal Reports designer application.

Following SAP note refers to a similar situation but it is while installing the application.

Business Objects Notes Get Help | Close

1212374 - Error: "1706 - No valid source could be found..." when installing CR

Language English Version 1 Validity: 18.08.2000 - active

Edit Print View Show change log Show Internal Memos

Content: Summary | Header Data | Other Properties

Symptom

Installing Crystal Reports results in the

following error:

Error: "1706. No valid source could be found for

product <product name and edition>. The Windows

installer cannot continue."

How do you resolve this error message and

successfully install Crystal Reports?

Resolution

The installation of Crystal Reports (CR) employs

Microsoft's (MS) Windows Installer technology.

There are certain situations where the MS Windows

Installer can become damaged on a computer. If the

Windows Installer is damaged and the Crystal

Reports setup is run, unexpected behaviours or an

error message may occur.

Microsoft has created the Windows Installer

CleanUp Utility, which allows you to safely remove

Windows Installer-related registry settings from

your computer in the event of a problem. Running

the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will resolve

error "1706....".

Refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base article 240116

at:

http://support.microsoft.com/support

on how to download and use the Windows

Installer CleanUp Utility.

After running this utility, restart your computer

and run the Crystal Reports setup. The Crystal

Reports setup should now run correctly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your quick response. I was unable to find the Knowledge base article "Microsoft Knowledge Base article 240116" referenced in your posting.

However, I was able to find several similar Microsoft articles on Error: "1706. No valid source could be found for product . The Windows installer cannot continue."

I downloaded and ran the utility which completely destroyed Office 2007. No worries though I was able to reinstall Office and recover, possibly the tool I found was an older version, so I take the blame for that mitstake. As for the Crystal Reports problem, users still are experiencing issues trying to open the file without the application already open. In other words a user can not double click the report. They must open the Application then select file open. CR2008 is still looking for the install files. I verified in the setup all features were installed. Thank you again for your efforts, and I hope to find a solution soon.

-m

Former Member
0 Kudos

Re: Installer Cleanup/Office 2007 - known issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

"Caution is advised. We recommend that you do not use this utility with 2007 Office system products."