cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Report Windows Forms Viewer Error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am getting the following error in our Win forms application. This application has been working fine for more than a year now. Since last month or so some users have reported this error. and I am able to reproduce this error on development machine as well. Nothing has changed in the application since its deployment. So what we think is that it has something do with some XP service pack or some DLL conflicts or something. Any help in this will be highly appreciated.

Crystal Report Windows Forms Viewer

-

The remaining text does not appear to be part of the formula.

Error in File C:\DOCUME1\nkohli\LOCALS1\Temp\temp_0dad0fc6-fc29-44e6-abad-fcdcf5f1c54c {18DCC239-9A15-40A6-A68C-4511E6198963}.rpt:

Error in formula <Record_Selection>.

' '

The remaining text does not appear to be part of the formula.

-

OK

-

Environment:

Windows XP SP3

Visual Studio 2005

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

It appears to be some extra character being extracted from some string. Either from the database or possible an extra carriage return or line feed in a formala.

As a test try re-creating that bad report and see if that fixes it.

If not then we need more info.

What version of CR and any patches?

Have you install .NET patches?

Have you installed any Crystal patches?

What database or data source are you using and which dB driver are you using to connect?

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Thanks for replying to my query.

The report that I have has no formula at all. Its a simple text report that just prints some information about the application. There is no database queries or anything like that associated with it. I looked at the text that was being displayed. I removed all that as well now. Only the headers on sections are left now. And I still get the error.

Then I tired to use "Export" feature to export report to PDF or on disk file. And it gives the same error. This time I was able to get stack for exception. It is a COM exception thrown after EromReportSourceBase.GetLastPageNumber method call.

Environment:

Visual Studio 2005

Installed SP1 for CR For VS2005

Thanks

Naveen

0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

That is very strange. What happens if you create a new report? Possibly that file is corrupted.

Try doing a repair install from Add/Remove Programs on VS .NET.

If you have a working PC you could use Modules or some other dll compare tool on your app before and after or working non-working PC's.

Can you also test un-installing those MS patches to see if that fixes the problem? That may be a problem for most but it's worth a try if you can.

What happens if you export to any other format? There's been a few Adobe PDF reader bugs that have been fixed because of virus's that may be a problem also. I believe you need to use Adobe reader 9.x or the latest update.

Do you have an IT department that you can check with to see if they altered your default profile settings? They can push out changes to fix permission issues on activeX controls and other parts that are susceptible to virus attacks etc.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi don,

At this point I do not have any workstation where these reprots are working. We are also following the line that it is one of security patches in XP that may have broken the reports.

We also thought that report could be corrupt. So I copied the .RPT from temp file location (as indicated in error message) and tried to open it in another third party application. It opened fine. As some users have indicated that reverted to using CR8.5 on XP3, I think this application is stattically linking to CR8.5 libs. So it is able to open it.

I added a new blank report to the application and it also did not work.

Then I created a new windows application with a new CR report. And it worked ok.

I tired to export report to PDF, HTML etc. and they all run into same problem in our production application.

After I saw that inner exception is "COMException" i have started to look for what all COM dlls are required for CR to work. Is there some list that I can use and make sure that I have correct versions registered?

Thanks

Naveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

I have recreated the report. It has no content. It is what wizard created for me in visual studio.I did not add anything to it. I removed all other reports from the library. And I still see the issue. Definitely looks like something going on with permissions or execution of code inside CR COM components that is typical to how our windows application is built.

Thanks

Naveen

0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

You wrote: "Then I created a new windows application with a new CR report. And it worked ok."

This appears to NOT be an issue with CR but your original application. Try recompiling and verifying all of the versions of the assemblies in your original app. It seems like something in your app is causing this problem, possibly some Windows dependency you are using or some third party viewer control. I've heard of problems with 3D viewer plug ins that alter our location references so possibly there is something similar causing problems with text objects.

If you create a new applciation and drop in this problem report does that work? If so then your original app has likely corrupted the RPT file.

Thanks again

Don

Edited:

After looking at your previous reply if they are using the reports in 8.5 then it is possible that the update routines to convert CR 8.5 version reports in .NET is causing the problem. We always recommend updating the reports to the current version manually to verify they work and to update the file format to the current version.

It may be that the conversion routine is having issues with the old format. There are no fixes for these issues though due to the age of the original reports. Manaully update them in Cr Designer.

Edited by: Don Williams on Jun 9, 2009 8:55 AM

Answers (0)