cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

click the print button and a bla dialog gets displayed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm having some issues with printing crystal reports on the web from client machine. You click the print button and a dialog gets displayed but there is nothing in it. I.E. does not seem to prompt you to download the activeX control.

Is there a recommended way to ensure users can print crystal reports from the web?

Noted that this is happening only on some machines.

i am setting CrystalReportViewer.PrintMode = PrintMode.ActiveX;

Regards,

smitha

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

i tried the link and it prompted the "open or save to disk" dialog box.

Could you please tell me what should i do next?

regards,

smitha

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

See if specifying the URL to the .cab file in the web.config will help. To see what you need to do there, download the [Crystal Reports 2008 .NET SDK Developer Help|http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir31/en/crsdk_net_dg_12_en.chm] file.

Do a search for: url cab.

You will get two results, one of which is: Configuring your web.config file.

Same configuration will apply to CR XI r2.

Ludek

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

i Could solve the problem.The issue was that the client machine was not having admin rights.

Thanks for the helpful answers.

Regards,

smitha

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you consider using the PDF print mode? Some users prefer this method because no ActiveX control needs to be installed. Your clients simply need to have [Adobe Acrobat Reader|http://www.adobe.com/go/EN_US-H-GET-READER].

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you please reply to this thread as early as possible?

Regards,

smitha.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

I have tried the options provided by you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

I modified the web config file on the server accordingly to include the reference for printcontrol.cab file.

But still i am facing the same problem.

Do i need to do some setting on the client machine also?

I checked on the server and found that the printcontrol.cab file is exisitng at the follwing lacations.

C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Common\4.0\crystalreportviewers12\ActiveXControls

C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Common\3.5\crystalreportviewers115\ActiveXControls

Waiting for your reply.

Thanks for your guidence.

Regards,

smitha

Edited by: smitha thomas on Jul 2, 2009 1:51 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Smitha;

Which version is your application using ? Crystal Reports 2008? If so, ensure you are following all of the correct steps for that version. You mentioned 2 cab files - which one did you refer to in your setup?

Are you still getting the blank dialog, or is it prompting to open / save?

Regards,

Jonathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for you response.

I am using Crystal report XI R2 with asp.net2.0

After editing the web config file to include follwing code it is reffering to the link http://myserver(Here i have mentioned the server name on which the application is deplyed)/PrintControl.cab"

<configSections>

<sectionGroup name="businessObjects">

<sectionGroup name="crystalReports">

<section name="printControl" type="System.Configuration.NameValueSectionHandler, System, Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, Custom=null" />

</sectionGroup>

</sectionGroup>

</configSections>

<businessObjects>

<crystalReports>

<printControl>

<add key="url" value="http://myserver/PrintControl.cab" />

</printControl>

</crystalReports>

</businessObjects>

So i really dont know whic cab file it is reffering to.

Yes i still have blank print dialog box when the print icon on the crystal report viewer is clicked.

As mentioned earlier this is happening only on the machines where cryatsl report is not installed.

Regards,

smitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

i did the steps what you have asked me to do.

i am getting the url as follows.

prm.codebase = "../../crystalreportviewers115/ActiveXControls/PrintControl.cab";

prm.url = window.location;

if i put the URL "../../crystalreportviewers115/ActiveXControls/PrintControl.cab" on the browser ,getting the error as "The requested URL could not be retrieved"

Could you please tell me how to investigate the URL and how to browse to the URL in IIS manager?

Regards,

smitha

former_member183750
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Thanks for your reply.

I forgot to mention that in my case , only on the machines where crystal report is not installed ,empty or blank print dialog box is coming .

ie Our's is a web application and it is deployed on one server and any user can access the application.

So if the client machine does not have crystal report then the issue is coming.

But export is working fine on all these machines.

Client machine may not have even .Net Frame work installed.

What should be done in this case to have the crystal report Print Functionality in all the machines irrespective of its software configuration(With out Crystal report and .Net Frame work)

Regards,

smitha

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That should be fine. You still want to go through the note I copied in the previous response. Look for the correct viewers directory and if that checks out, look for the URL that is CR is attempting to access the directory from.

Ludek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just yesterday, I submitted a note (1356727 - ActiveX print dialog is unresponsive when printing from a Visual Studio .NET web application.) on this issue. The note has not been published yet, but here is a copy of it:

Symptom

The report appears in the Crystal Reports DHTML viewer as expected.
When the Printer icon in the DHTML viewer is pressed, the ActiveX print dialog appears, but after the OK button is pressed, the report does not print.

Cause 

The viewer control needs to use files found in the Crystal Reports web form viewer folder in the  root of your website. 
The folders for different versions of Crystal reports are listed below.
Crystal Reports 10.2 (Bundled with VS2005)
aspnet_clientsystem_web2_0_50727crystalreportwebformviewer3

Crystal Reports 10.5 (Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 )
C:Inetpubwwwrootaspnet_clientsystem_webv2.0.50727CrystalReportWebFormViewer4

Crystal Reports 11.5 (XI release 2)
C:Inetpubwwwrootaspnet_clientsystem_webv2.0.50727crystalreportviewers115

Crystal Reports 12.x (2008)
C:Inetpubwwwrootaspnet_clientsystem_webv2.0.50727crystalreportviewers12

Resolution

To further troubleshoot the issue follow these steps:

Run your application and view the report. 
Click the Printer button (this will cause a postback to the web page) and then cancel the print dialog. right-click in the web page and select "View Source". 
Search for the word "printcontrol.cab". This will show you where the application is trying to download the printcontrol from. 
Paste the URL into a browser. 
If you get prompted to "open or save to disk" the url is correct and there is a browser setting or possibly even a system policy preventing the download. 
If you get a "404 page not found" or a similar error message, investigate the URL. 
If the issue is on your local web server, see if it is possible to browse to the URL in IIS manager.

Similar issue may be seen when exporting. Solution is identical. Also, see the blog Problem of installing Crystal Reports 2008 Print Control(ActiveX)|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/sdnweblogs/postweblog]

Another question; Is proxy involved? If it is, see [this|https://forums.sdn.sap.com/click.jspa?searchID=27895655&messageID=7454194] thread.

Ludek