cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concurrency Locking in BPC 7.0 for NW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I evaluated the concurrency locking in BPC 7.0 for NW and found the following behaviour:

1. if a user opens an input schedule and refreshes the data no lock appears in the backend (SM12 and RSPLAN Lock Manager)

2. if a second user opens the same input schedule on the same data he finds the input schedule input-ready and he does not get a warning that another user is currently working on the same data

3. if both users change and save data the user that saves last wins, so the first user loses all his data

I wonder if this behaviour can be changed to protect users from loosing their data because of concurrent updates.

What I would like to have is a behaviour similar to the one in Integrated Planning:

1. if a user opens an input schedule and refreshes locks are set in the backend

2. if a second user tries to work on the same data he gets a warning (data is locked by XY) and the input schedule is opened read only

Does anyone know if a similar behaviour can be implemented in BPC? I would appreciate any hints.

Best regards,

Kai

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

SEdelstein
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

HI Kai-

Your analysis is correct, BPC Locking only occurs during the brief time period when write back occurs.

Please note: there are no future plans to change this locking methodology.

Also, as far as I am aware, there are no custom solutions available to modify the locking logic to act more like BW-IP and BW-BPS.

Regards,

Sheldon Edelstein

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Aalok, hello Sheldon,

thank you very much for your quick replies. So my question is answered.

From our point of view this means a drawback because most clients require protection from data being overwritten by accident.

Best regards,

Kai

former_member185837
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Yes Kai, I do agree. BPC's concurrency locking mechanism is seriously limited. You cannot guarantee data quality when different users plan on the same data region!

Former Member
0 Kudos

i do not think we can have any of the two functionality u mentioned below is possible in BPC .

1. if a user opens an input schedule and refreshes locks are set in the backend

2. if a second user tries to work on the same data he gets a warning (data is locked by XY) and the input schedule is opened read only

But as you have stated the problem the if two person login at the same time and are working on the same data set .

& the person who send the data first wins.

This is true but please note that only those values which are changed in the excel file are send back to the database.

so if one value which is changed by both the User , will be overwritten . else all other values will remain same