Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing variable sized items for planning and purchase

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We have the following situation, kindly help in resolving the same:

Some of the raw materials are variable sized (for example plates). These items come in the Semi-finished/finished BOM as Raw Materials. Now whenver the requirement for SFG/FG is there MRP creates requirement for the variable sized items as well.

We have defined the unit of measure for variable sized items as M2 (meter square). Stock for these items display total area present in the Storage Location. Since these items are cut and used it might be possible that the requirement generated by MRP can be theoretically satisfied against the available stock but cant be practically satisfied against the actual physical stock.

For example in stock we have a sheet of 4m X 5m = 20 M2. The requirement from MRP comes to be 10 M2 but with dimensions 1mX10M. The stock shows available qtty as 20M2, required qtty as 10M2 and hence No PR is generated. But in actual we need to create a PR as dimensions are different.

So to manage this we are giving MRP type of raw materials as ND (No planning). Therefore the system is not creating any PR (even if requirements exceed available stock) it only creates DepReq for the RM. Now we create manual PRs after studying the DepReq. But it seems that it is easy to loose track and difficult to know that for which DepReq the PRs are already created.

Is there any way to relate the manual PRs to the DepReq created by MRP?

If yes, then whenever DepReq will be converted to OrdRes will the above relation still be valid?

Is there any other way of resolving/mapping the above scenario?

Thanks

Vineet

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

you have to maintain different material code for different material( what are you using)as per your sheet size.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We cant maintain separate material codes as the sheet required varies in size and shape. Right now I have come up with the following solution:

1. SAP: Materials which are variable sized will have MRP Type: ND (No Planning)

2. SAP: These items will be in the BOM of FG/SFG with their dimension details

3. SAP: The requirements for the Variable Sized items will be created by the MRP although no planning will be done, i.e. Dependent Requirement against sales order(through FG/SFG) will be created but no PRs/Planned Orders will be generated for these items

4. SAP: List of Requirements in the form of Dependent Requirements and Order reservations can be seen through T-Code MD04.

5. MANUAL: Manual PR is to be created against dependent requirements after checking the quantity and dimensions of the stocks available.

6. MANUAL: Maintain an excel sheet to record the materials and PR numbers created for them with quantity and dimensions. Also keep a record of sales order number from which the requirement has come. Sales order number for a requirement can be viewed through the MD04 T-Code itself. Also the dimensions required can be easily seen by navigating from MD04 to the corresponding production order component list. (Instead of Excel an SAP Table can be developed to maintain the data, the only advantage would be central maintenance of data)

7. For PRs created manually above dimensions will be manually entered in PR as "PO Text".

8. Whenver PRs are created manually the records maintained in point number 6 will have to be checked to avoid duplication of creation of PRs

9. A separate column in excel sheet (refer point 6) can be maintained for the POs created against each PR.

Dependent requirements will automatically be converted to Order Reservations in MD04 view once the Planned order of assembly is converted to a Production Order.

10. Order reservations will automatically be removed from MD04 view once the GI of variable sized material is done to Production Orders.

Do we have a better alternative to this?

Thanks

Geravine

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Geravine,

Whats you mentioned is sounds good in the available circumtamces. new table in SAP makes more sense then exel.

So check is it posible to have sap table instead of excell sheet , logic can me assign some MRP group or controller which distiguich this materials from other , populate there requirement quantity from MD04 to this new table based on the identified field in material master as well as status in MD04.

while creating PO's in text you can mantain the discription which Po covers which requirement of variable size.

as soon as order conversion is done on assembly level the reletive line from new Z table will be deleted.

you can also have total quantity cumulative quantity etc as a additinal field in this new table.

create 2 different transaction for maintaince and display to assign authorisation to user as per requirement.

check out and revert back, what finaly you done.

hope it helps you.

Regards

Ritesh

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

danny_roussel4
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vineet,

we have the same interessting problem!

If the RM batch should have as characteristics length and width:

Did you check for an exit in SAP where the MRP will not check for the stock in M2, but instead for the batch characterisitics length and width please?

regards,

Danny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Danny-

Have you come to any solution to your issue?
I just posted a question that I believe is similar to you and Vineet's, however, I'm thinking mine is possibly an easier solution since I'm only working with Length, compared to length and width.

See link below.

http://scn.sap.com/message/13862030#13862030

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the support

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

Instead of following the above approach mentioned in my last post I have thought over for a different solution.

I have made all these materials individual items. All my requirements are coming through sales orders. Therefore, we will have to move the stock after checking manually to the Sales Order stock and after the MRP the PR will be generated according to the shortage. Any adjustments can be done manually in the PR created through MRP.

I suppose this will solve the problem.

Any comments are welcome

Thanks and regards

Geravine

Edited by: geravine on Jul 22, 2009 5:00 PM

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

just check it out and revert with your thought.

Define RAW with unit of measure EA, give alternate unit of measure CM2( centimeter square ) or M2 ( meter square).

give issue unit of measure CM2 or M2.

Purchase unit of measure can also be different.

while creating material assumption is that the third dimension ie thinkness is same like for sheet 10 X 10 X 2 , material will be SHEET1010 and in discruption Sheet of 10X10 with thickness 2 mm.

while creating BOM use item category R with this material numer , on the first page against the component put quantity in unit EA.

ex 4 EA

as soon as put pres enter , you will get screen for variable item detail, give exact dimension of component thre like size 1= 10CM

Size 2 = 5 CM , formula F1 it will give you exact size 50 CM2 and overl all quantity in first screen on BOM. it will be 4 X 50 = 200 CM2

now after MRP you will have exact quantity purchase requisitions, you purchase department can clup this and can make a single purchase order.

for issue of goods

You need to go for development, logic can be , for all variable size items from a BOM you need to pick size 1 size 2 and size 3 to print on issue slip . It will give exact dimension to your storage person to issue the correct dimension sheet to shop floor.

Check it out .

It may help you.

Regards

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.

We are already following the same procedure as you have mentioned. The only thing is that length and width keep on changing while the thickness is same. That is, we will be having different material codes for materials with different thickness. But for these materials the length and width can change.

Now assume for certain thickness material the stock in m2 is 1000 with dimension 10X100. The requirement comes for 600 m2 with dimensions 2X300. Now MRP will not create any PRs but physically its not possible to use what is there in stock.

So we create a PR manually.

Currently we are trying with this solution: As explained in my initial query, if I keep MRP Type as ND then no PRs are created by MRP in any case even if the stock is less. Only DepReq are created. After going through the present stock manually and checking the DepReq I create all the PR manually.

But in this case I loose track. I am not able to make out for what depreq/ordres I have already created PRs and for which ones I have to create afresh.

So, is there a way to keep track of this through the system for example by connecting the manual PR with DepReq through pegged requirements somehow. If there is no way to do this through system shall I keep an excel file to record all the PRs and the respective DepReq and the corresponding Sales Orders of the header materials.

Or, is there any other better way of managing the variable size items, their requirements, stock and PRs?

Thanks

Vineet