cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadcast by E-mail in excel format

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am trying to broadcast a workbook trough e-mail via Tr. Code RSRT.

Is there any way to broadcast the workbook in EXCEL format? Maybe CSV format? In Information Broadcasting I have only HTML, MHTML, and Online link for output formats.

I am using BI 7.0 SP21, SAP GUI 7.10 SP13, Excel 2007, and BEX 7.0 SP.9.

Please advice if there is a way to broadcast the workbook in Excel format. If i open the workbook in Bex, and then I hit Bex Broadcaster button, nothing happens.

Thanks!!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

The posts made by Elena were made by me (from her computer). Now I have my own S-user.

Finally we solved the problem and I will put here the steps that we made to broadcast workbooks (in excel format) by email.

My landscape is like this: SAP BW 7.0, DB2 database, windows 2003 Server, SAP Gui 7.10 SP 14, Office 2003 and 2007 (the broadcasting works fine in both versions of Office), SAP BI 7.10.

1. Setup SAP Mail via tranzaction SCOT.

2. Install the latest patches for the Bex Analyzer (bi710sp09p_902-10004472.exe).

3. Install the lastest patch for Precalculation Server (xPreCalServer09_1-10004472.exe).

I had the same issue with the blank excel sheet, it was solved installing those patches (the patches must be at the same level to receive an excel filled with data).

4. in BW, transaction RSPRECADMIN, create a new precalculation server (i have installed the precalculation server on a machine with win2k3 and it works fine)

5. When you test the Precalc. Server, make sure you put in the "workbook" field the ID of the workbook. The sistem is sensitive to the name of the workbook (max. 25 Characters). You cand find the ID of the workbook in Bex Analyzer, choose the workbook and hit Properties button.

6. Define a Background Job via SM36 with the program RS_PREC_PLAN. Before that you define a variant of the RS_PREC_PLAN, in which you setup what workbook to be calculated.

7. Have Phun !!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good afternoon

I used RSPRECADMIN variant to schedule a workbook.

We have the same problem where some of our workbooks does not open in excel: "The file is not in recognizable format". Other workbooks will open without any problem.

Can anybody perhaps help here?

Thanks

Cj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Occasionally the workbook will be blank for a number of reasons - timeouts normally being one, as is blowing the row/cell count and the maximum size for a email attachment

Best way to check is to have a look in transaction SCOT to see if there is an error against the workbook email

Sorry - but I am at a different site where I first saw this - and am doing this from memory

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have precalculation server installed. I am opening an workbook in Bex Analyzer and when I hit Tools-->Broadcaster...nothing happens.

The precalculation server is installed and it looks green in RSPRECADMIN.

What should I need to do to open the Broadcaster? Do I really need a portal installed to broadcast weorkbooks in excel format?

hai_murali_here
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can very well broadcast a workbook in Excel format using backend without having Portal.

Go to RSPRECADMIN Tcode in Backend->Double click the Precalculation Server which is Ready->Select the Workbook->Mention the Email Address to whom you want to Broadcast->Click Execute

This will deliver the workbook in Excel format to the mentioned receipient.

Rgds,

Murali

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have tried this option, but I only receive a blank excel file (an empty file).

hai_murali_here
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think you have to check your workbook(whether it contains a data or not)

Please try creating a new workbook with data and then broadcast it.

Rgds,

Murali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Elena

I have the same problem, I cannot broadcast using saved workbooks 3.x, when I try to open the excel file is blank and the error message is:

"file is not in a recognizable format."

How did you fix this problem?

thanks

former_member200211
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi,

Excel option will available when you try to broadcast worbooks..

You will need pre-calc server for it..

On your open workbook -- click on tools on bex toolbar -- > Dsitribute workbook.

refer OSS note - 760775 (Settings for information broadcaster

Regards

Lavanya

hai_murali_here
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes,you can broadcast a workbook in Excel format.

Invoke the BEx Broadcaster,You can invoke this through Web Analyzer->Right click->Context menu or through BEx Analyzer Tools->BEx Broadcaster

Open the workbook in BEx Broadcaster

Create a Broadcast Setting and set the Output Format as "MS Excel Workbook" and Distribution Type as "Broadcast Email"

Execute the Setting

This will broadcast a workbook in Excel format to teh mentioned mail address

Rgds,

Murali

former_member205352
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Please advice if there is a way to broadcast the workbook in Excel format. If i open the workbook in Bex, and then I hit Bex Broadcaster button, nothing happens.

> Thanks!!

Your portal works fine ?

Is it something to do with your Java stack ?

Actually once you hit the "Bex Broadcaster" from workbook it should take you to broadcast settings (after logging with your id).

There you get option for MS excel workbook.

Edited by: Praveen G on Jul 16, 2009 5:45 AM