cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interpretation Algorithms Electronic Bank Statement

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

I am trying to configure EBS in order to clear the documents in posting area 1 (GL).

The approach is:

- to upload the electronic bank statement and clear the clearing account automatically (posting area 1)

I have set the interpretation algorithms '001' expecting that if the EBS document appears BELNR or XBLNR the program would be able to find the the corresponding accounting document and clear the clearing account.

It is not working and I think all is correctly configured. My questions are:

- are those algorithms just for clearing in the posting area 2 (Ap or AR) or could be used in posting area 1 (GL) as well? In the testing that I am doing it seems that the only criteria that is using clearing in area 1 (GL) is the amount and not BELNR neither XBLNR.

- if I set in customizing to posting rule to post and clear in the GL account; EBS items not cleared are not posted and needs to be post manually in FEBA. Is there any possibility to post not cleared items although the system could not clear them?

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member581688
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> - are those algorithms just for clearing in the posting area 2 (Ap or AR) or could be used in posting area 1 (GL) as well? In the testing that I am doing it seems that the only criteria that is using clearing in area 1 (GL) is the amount and not BELNR neither XBLNR.

Interpretation algorithms can be used in posting area 1. We only post to the GL via EBS and are using several algorithms.

> - if I set in customizing to posting rule to post and clear in the GL account; EBS items not cleared are not posted and needs to be post manually in FEBA. Is there any possibility to post not cleared items although the system could not clear them?

As far as I know, the configuration is either/or. Either you set up the posting rule for clearing and it only posts when an item can be cleared - or you set up the posting rule for posting only (no clearing). I do not know of a way via configuration to clear if there's an item to clear and post if there are not items to clear. You may be able to accomplish that via a user exit with logic to check for items to clear and if there are none, change the posting rule to a post only rule.

As far as why algorithm 001 is not working for you....

- When running the EBS import, are you specifying number ranges for BELNR and XBLNR? If your number range for BELNR includes leading zeros are you including those in the specified ranges. If you're XBLNR values have leading zeros are you including those?

- Do the BELNR values in the bank statement include leading zeros to match the BELNR number range in SAP?

- Do the XBLNR values in the bank statement exactly match the values on the SAP documents - including any leading zeros?

You do not mention the use of search string(s). If the BELNR and XBLNR values are coming through in the note to payee and need to be reformatted - or the EBS import is not finding the values on its own - you may need to investigate search strings to extract/format the values.

Regards,

Shannon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Shannon, thanks in advance for your answer, it was helpful.

Interpretation algorithms can be used in posting area 1 and that is a fantastic new. Are you using algorithm '001'?

About your questions:

- Yes I specified the number ranges for BELNR and XBLNR this way:

BELNR: form 1 to 9999999999

XBLNR1: from 0000000000000000 to ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

- I doing a testing and BELNR values in EBS are not leading by zeros. In production it will happen so I will appreciate any advise about how to manage this issue.

- XBLNR are not leading by zeros (testing). In production it will happen so I will appreciate any advice about how to manage this issue.

I am not using search strings so far. I though I did not need them because XBLNR and BELNR are coming in the note to payee... anyway in testing client I though that would not need any reformatted. Probably I will need them in production and I will really appreciate if you tell me how to use search strings in this case.

Thanks you very much!

former_member581688
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Interpretation algorithms can be used in posting area 1 and that is a fantastic new. Are you using algorithm '001'?

No, we are not using 001. We do not have any situations where the BELNR values are coming through the bank statement, only XBLNR values. In the situations we have XBLNR values, we use algorithm 121.

> - Yes I specified the number ranges for BELNR and XBLNR this way:

>

> BELNR: form 1 to 9999999999

> XBLNR1: from 0000000000000000 to ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Normally SAP stores numeric BELNR values with leading zeros - so you may need to try 0000000001 instead of just 1.

> - I doing a testing and BELNR values in EBS are not leading by zeros. In production it will happen so I will appreciate any advise about how to manage this issue.

>

> - XBLNR are not leading by zeros (testing). In production it will happen so I will appreciate any advice about how to manage this issue.

>

> I am not using search strings so far. I though I did not need them because XBLNR and BELNR are coming in the note to payee... anyway in testing client I though that would not need any reformatted. Probably I will need them in production and I will really appreciate if you tell me how to use search strings in this case.

You need search strings if the XBLNR and BELNR values are not coming through in the exact format as in SAP. So for example, the cases where there are leading zeros in SAP, but not in the bank statement, you can add the leading zeros using a search string. Also, if the number in EBS is preceded by other text with no spaces in between - for example, the note to payee has REF12345 - but SAP only has 12345 or has 0012345, then you'd need a search string to remove the extra text and if needed add the leading zeros. In most cases, you are going to need different search strings for different transactions - because not all note to payees will be formatted the same. I would suggest searching the SAP help for Search Strings as well as reading the IMG documentation for "Define Search String for Electronic Bank Statement".

Regards,

Shannon

former_member581688
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

FYI - I've also posted information to this forum in the last year regarding how to create search strings. So in addition to reading the SAP Help and IMG documentation, you can search this forum for information.

Regards,

Shannon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shannon,

I made it work for BELNR, but I couldnt with XBLNR. Any Idea?

thanks a lot

Rafa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shannon, this is a bit weird.

BELNR

I can make algorithms works. I can find document number in all cases if it is on note to payee field on EBS.

Selection criteria in FF_5: number BELNR " " to "9999999999"

The algorithm finds the document number when document number has 10 characters or less (8 characters). Example: 1900000064 or 20000000 it is working in both scenarios.

XBLNR

Algorithm only works if Reference completes field XBLNR 16 characters.

Selection criteria in FF_5: number XBLNR " 1" a "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

- If document has XBLNR=REFERENCE1 and the EBS (Note to payee) contains REFERENCE1 do not work.

- If document has XBLNR=REFERENCE1 and the EBS (Note to payee) contains "000000REFERENCE1" do not work.

- If document has XBLNR= "000000REFERENCE1" and the EBS (Note to payee) contains "000000REFERENCE1" do not work.

It only worked when:

- If document has XBLNR= "000000REFERENCE1" and the EBS (Note to payee) contains "REFERENCE1".

- If document has XBLNR= "000000REFERENCE1" and the EBS (Note to payee) contains "000000REFERENCE1".

Apparently algorithm '001' needs to have XBLNR completely populated in SAP (16 char) to be able to clear with the EBS item automatically...

Could you please confirm me this approach? Thanks a lot in advance.

Edited by: Rafael Barreda on Jul 20, 2009 11:26 AM

former_member581688
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For the XBLNR range in FF_5, have you tried a blank value instead of "1" for the "from" value? As I've said, I've only worked with algorithm 121 for XBLNR values, not 001. But we are able to process XBLNR values with less than 16 characters. However, in the EBS import, for the XBLNR range, we have the "from" value set to blank (and the "to" value set to "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ").

Regards,

Shannon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes I did and It did not work. But I will try again (make a new test) and will keep you informed.

Thanks for your answers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you were completely right.

Setting XBLNR range in FF_5 from " " to "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" let the algorithm find the clearing document althought XBLNR has not got 16 char.

Thanks you very much.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This posting is very good and I have a same problem here.

the reference field is : 20091230S011 (with a alpha in between).

I was trying to use XBLNR to clear it as well (using Interpretation Algorithms -121).

How should the XBLNR range should be in FF_5.

I tried several but couldn't get it clear.

Please highlight.

Thank you so much.

former_member581688
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The XBLNR range " " to "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" should cover both numeric and alpha values.

You also need to make sure that the value in the note to payee that is getting mapped by your search string is exactly the same as the value in the reference field on the document in SAP.

Regards,

Shannon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Shannon.

I have tried to put ZZZZZZZZZZZZ , but it doesn't clear the item.

At the end, I managed to clear it by putting XBLNR : 01to ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

wihtout search string.

Thanksa again for your help.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hello Colleagues,

My question seems to be related, so I am putting it here rather than starting a new thread.

I am working with Electronic Bank Statements for the first time, and having some trouble. We are using MT940. As a start, I am working with incoming payments and trying to extract the reference invoice number from the "Note to Payee" so that we can match on XBLNR. This field contains all sorts of gibberish, but we do have a specified format on the invoice numbers. For example, the Note to Payee might contain:

---

I10IPKW35741 I10IPKW35740 I10IPKW35 739 I10IPKW35738 I10IPKW3573 7 I10IP KW35742 MAP SVERIGE AB BOX 55136 TRANSFER A MT SEK 200,789.68 ORIGINAL AMT SEK 200,789.68 EXCH. RATE SEK 0.4 206 1500 8311007131

---

I have set up the search string as

(I10|I11|I12)????#####

and it correctly finds all the invoice numbers:

I10IPKW35741

I10IPKW35740

I10IPKW35738

I10IPKW35741

I10IPKW35740

I10IPKW35738

These numbers are stored in XBLNR. I have tested the various algorithms using FEBSTS.

"000" executes the map correctly against the bank statement and returns the embedded invoice numbers, but does not return the related document to be cleared.

"001", "015", "019", "021", and "121" do NOT return the embedded invoice numbers in the simulation.

Is there any way to make this work using search strings alone, or does the search string merely parse out the invoice numbers, and the rest of the processing must be done in the user exit FEB0001?

As a related question, what are the 900 series algorithms ("Customer-specific algorithm 901", etc.) and how are they managed or configured?

Thanks in advance.

Patricia