cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

value assignment and value assignment type in the specification workbench

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

There is this section on the specification workbench called u201CProperty Treeu201D, this section contains all the value assignment type, I have two questions on this.

Question 1 u2013

What is exactly the value assignment type? The SAP help portal said it is a structure specification data and information. What exactly does it mean and its usage?

Question 2 u2013

May I know where is the SPRO configuration that actually causes the list of value assignment types appear on the property tree section for this particular specification type which I created.

In another word, I create this new specification with specification type u201CREAL_SUBu201C and specification category u201CSubstanceu201C in the specification workbench transaction. Next thing I know is that the property tree section for this particular specification consists of a list of value assignment type. How does the system assigned these list of value assignment types to this specification i created? Coz I didnu2019t do anything.

Where in SPRO and the logic link it up on this??

Thanks.

YY

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello all

EH&S contains a number of submodules (PS, DG, IH etc.). Regarding each submodule a basic customizing is delivered by SAP. One example is the specification type. Usually you will find something like

REAL_SUB

LIST_SUB

etc. in the Customizing as discussed. Further more I believe with EH&S 2.7. the specification category come in place (SUBSTANCE as an example). You need to take care regarding this too.

An value assignment type can be grouped in a property tree and a property tree can be linked to a specification type and there are cases known that one specification type is linked only to one property tree (this is a decision regarding business needs and not an IT quesition). Using the EHS& surface you can change the property tree per specification if the set up is done in Customizing. Therefore the property tree is a "view" on the data linked to a specification. (identifeirs etc. are managed different)

A "property" is based on a value assigment type and in many cases on a related EH&S class and characteristic. You will find these types.

A => value assignment type to be used if you need characteristics

B => value assignment type to be used if you need specification listing

C => value assignment type to be used if you need composition

.. etc.

You can mix types. That means you can create a property of type "A" and "C" (take a look in SAP original tree; you will find examples how to do it).

A propetry tree is a "list" of assignment type related to a object (specification). Using the property tree you can maintain necessary data. Therefore ithe property tree itself contains per specification the list of "potential" data structures you can fill with data. I belive SAP Standard is delviering now something like 250 properties (valeu assignment types): To e.g. get an MSDS you need to maintain I would assume at least something like 20 up to 50 properties

The area of customizing regrading property tree, specification types etc. is the most crticial to have a sucessful EH&S project running; any wrong decision gives rise to a high cost later Therefore take your time to understand what effect does which customizing acitivity have later.

Based on the value assignemnt you will create later e.g. a WWI report (like MSDS).

Additionally if necessary you can create customer specific value assignment types by either do a copy from SAP original to "Z" (highly recommended to do so!) or starting from basic.

Starting with EH&S 2.7. you have now more options to "change" EH&S using standard EH&S functionality. Take a look in customizinjg (example: you could create you own "look and feel" of the workbench (you should'nt really do that but it is possible). You can design your own "tab strips" etc.

So once again: the "correct" set up of EH&S in the area of e.g. identifers, speficiation types, property trees etc. is the "core" activity in EH&S customizing and therefore think "twice" before you change the setup up (you need to understand what a change mean)

With best regards

C.B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI ravindracool,

all the property tree component objects list on the table do not have the default radio button ticked (i.e. under EHS>>Basic Data & Tools>>Specification Management >> Specification Database Structure >> Setting for Value Assignment >> Setup property tree.)

In another word, all the prop tree component in the tabe on the above SPRO path does not have the default activated.

Thus, why the system ONLY select this property tree DG_TRM for this specification type when there are other property tree component assign to this specification type??

Thanks

YY

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi YY,

This is a very late reply, but hope this helps.

1. You wrote "In another word, all the prop tree component in the tabe on the above SPRO path does not have the default activated" (under the node Specification Management >> Specification Data Structure >> Settings for Value Assignments >> Set Up Property Tree) . This is incorrrect since this a "toggle" type radio button, atlease one of the Property Tree that you see in the listing has to be set as "Default" . In IDES the Property Tree "Standard" is set as default. Thus, if no default property tree is maintained under the node for definition of Specification Type "REAL_SUB", the value assignments under standard property tree would be visible in the transaction CG02.

2. On your problem of DG_TRM being displayed as the default property tree:

In the transaction CG02, one can use the function "Other Property Tree" to change the property tree. If a user ever changes the property tree, this gets recorded for that user in his user parameters. CHeck Systems >> User Profile >> Own Data >> Parameters >> Parameter ID ES6 (EHS: Property tree ) . This value remains even if you log out. So, it is likely that you might have changed the property tree to DG_TRM during an earlier session. Thus, even when you looking at a REAL_SUB unde CG02, the property tree DG_TRM gets defaulted for you as an user.

Hope this answers.

Rgds

Anantha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi YY,

This is a very late reply, but hope this helps.

1. You wrote "In another word, all the prop tree component in the tabe on the above SPRO path does not have the default activated" (under the node Specification Management >> Specification Data Structure >> Settings for Value Assignments >> Set Up Property Tree) . This is incorrrect since this a "toggle" type radio button, atlease one of the Property Tree that you see in the listing has to be set as "Default" . In IDES the Property Tree "Standard" is set as default. Thus, if no default property tree is maintained under the node for definition of Specification Type "REAL_SUB", the value assignments under standard property tree would be visible in the transaction CG02.

2. On your problem of DG_TRM being displayed as the default property tree:

In the transaction CG02, one can use the function "Other Property Tree" to change the property tree. If a user ever changes the property tree, this gets recorded for that user in his user parameters. CHeck Systems >> User Profile >> Own Data >> Parameters >> Parameter ID ES6 (EHS: Property tree ) . This value remains even if you log out. So, it is likely that you might have changed the property tree to DG_TRM during an earlier session. Thus, even when you looking at a REAL_SUB unde CG02, the property tree DG_TRM gets defaulted for you as an user.

Hope this answers.

Rgds

Anantha

Edited by: Ananthanarayanan Iyer on Dec 30, 2009 12:18 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi YY,

If you check IMG activity" Set Up Property Trees" you will find a property tree set as default property tree for all spec types, so for your case DG_Trem prop tree should have been set as default which you can see as checked in the circle button.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindra,

When I am at the detail screen of this specification type u201CREAL_SUBu201D , the following fields have the following value:

Spec Type desc  Real substance

User Exit  empty value

Mat Assignment checkbox  checked

I/E default checkbox  blank

Object name  ESN_SUBID

Int no range  OI

Ext no range  OE

Property Tree  empty

Default checkbox  blank

Value Asst type  SAP_EHS_1012_017

Characteristic  blank

Label-Relevant checkbox  bank

Icon  blank

Text  blank

Your statement said

check the feild Property tree, remove the entry if you dont want the DG_Trem property as default for your specification type

Check what u201Cfieldu201D property tree, and remove what entry?

If you talking about the default checkbox, it is empty at the first place

Which fields should remove?

Thanks for your advise.

YY

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi YY,

Please check property tree config for spec type in the following path and if there is a DG_Trem property tree set at this place then you will be getting this property tree as default,

Specify Specification Types > Select the specification type REAL_SUB in your case and go to details(lens icon), check the feild Property tree, remove the entry if you dont want the DG_Trem property as default for your specification type.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindra,

When I look at the specification workbench screen on the property tree, there is the following tree structure for this specification type (i.e. REAL_SUB) which I created:

- EH&S Tremcard (i.e. DG_TRM)

- Transport folder

- Physical-Chemical Prop folder

- Type of Hazard folder

- Personal Protective Equip folder

- Measure folder

- Medicine folder

- General folder

However, base on the table structure for this Specification Type u201CREAL_SUBu201D on SPRO => Basic Data and Tools > Specification Management > Specification Master > Specify Specification Types > Specify Specification Type-Property tree assignment, the property tree shown on the table are:

- DG_TRM

- OBSOLETE

- RM_SPECIFI

- STANDARD

- XBW_MUNITI

- XBW_RADIO

Thus, my question, why ONLY property tree DG_TRM (i.e. EH&S Tremcard) is display on the specification workbench in the property tree section for this specification type u201CREAL_SUBu201D, shouldnu2019t other property tree (i.e OBSOLETE, u2026XBW_RADIO) appears for this spec type as there are all under this spec type?

Thanks

YY

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) By VA types you can structure your data in SAP like for example if you check in a property tree and check the Physical-Chemical Properties, the information which you want to record or store is structured into various VA types like,

Vapor pressure

Density

Color

Form etc.

2) You maintain which property trees to be displayed for each specification type in the following IMG activity,

Basic Data and Tools > Specification Management > Specification Master > Specify Specification Types > Specify Specification Type-Property tree assignment

3) You maintain what all VA types should be there in the following IMG activity,

Basic Data and Tools > Specification Management > Specification Database Structure > Settings for Value Assignment > Set Up Property Trees > property tree VA type assignment.

So when you create a new specification of a particular spec type the system automatically selects Propert tree and VA types based on how you maintained that in IMG.