cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handling unit management rquired

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

How do we determine that we need to implement HUM with in four walls?What are the specific business scenarios that require the HUM to be implemented? is the HUM implemented at plant level or the storage location level ? Please provide some info.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can activate HUM I) systemwide (TVSHP-EXIDV_UNIQUE). If you have HUM activated in your system, II) you can use handling unit managed storage locations (T001L-XHUPF).

I) If HUM is not activated in the system, the packing process takes place as in the former releases, before release 4.6C:

- packing object is called Shipping Unit

- packing is only allowed through delivery/shipment processing

- no chance to identify a Shipping Unit without reference to object (delivery/shipment).

HUM deals with all the packing processes

- links business processes across all logistics applications; logistics processes (goods movements) based on HU processing are easier, which in turn optimises all logistics operations; you track the movements of entire HUs and the materials they contain rather than tracking each material individually (simplified processing of material movements, which therefore optimizes the logistics processes)

- do not require a reference to a document and, in contrast to shipping units, are independent objects; you can identify an HU without reference to object (as they have a unique identification number)

II) Handling unit managed storage location:

- Handling Unit Management enables to control inventory management using packed stocks at storage location level.

- The guarantee that the total of all HU stocks is the same as the stock in the storage location, is only valid for handling unit managed storage locations.

- If you have HUs on storage locations that are not HU managed, you never know if the stock in the HU physically exists and if the stock information is still valid. There is no guarantee that the data is correct.

Regards,

Ely

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HUM is activated at Plant/Storage Location:

SAP Customizing Implementation Guide

Logistics - General

Handling Unit Management

Basics

Materials Management

Inventory Management

HU Requirement for Storage Locations and Default Values for Deliveries

The argument for implementing HUM in a business that transfers stock/items/pallets between MANY Plants/ Customers is far more compelling than simply implementing in ONE Warehouse.

However, using the HU can allow for:

The use of barcode technologies for ease of data capture (scanning to move Pallets for example). The HU .. KNOWS all material data etc held within so no need to type Material/Batch/Qty/Stock Category etc etc

The potential for Suppliers to send ASN's

The use of tracking Serial numbers at Storage Bin Level (something not previously available without the use of HUM)

The use of Packing and UnPacking functionality

HU/Pallet History .. GR/ Inventory/ GI etc

thanks,

A

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The decision to have HU management switch in my experience always required detailed analysis to arrive at a conclusion that can be understood.

To add to the last response please also consider the complexity (to the solution and supporting developments) that HU management might bring especially in ECC WM.

HU management does present some challenges e.g. with fixed bin pick faces with replenishment and pallet consolidation.

My approach in the past has been to identify each end to end process in scope (i.e. transacted in the target warehouse) and to asses the pros and cons with and without the HU layer.

I personally would try to position HU management and switch it on if that makes reasonable sense after the analysis, as it allows some of the enhanced functionality e.g. cross docking to work and makes any subsequent process improvements such as the implementation of TRM easier.

Thanks James