cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy track source to another track

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi to all!!!

I'd like to copy the DCs from one track to another one. I tried exporting to the sca. But when I imported it, it was already activated, so I couldn't modify it... what should I do to import the sca for development???

Thanks a lot

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will copy component by component

shreyas_pandya
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alejandro,

Track is a concept comprising of various components in NWDI universe.

The migration that you are looking for is a complete replication of your entire Track, This process will include replication of your DTR workspaces, CBS buildspaces including your SLD dependencies.

You can follow the below mentioned process...

Here we will call your original track as a Source Track and the new Track that you will be creating in a different server as Target Track.

I am assuming here, that your Target system is properly configured with NWDI usage type.

Important Information:

Before I describe the step-by-step details, we need to understand one thing which I believe is the most important.

You have mentioned that you want to migrate the entire track along with the source code (Here, i understand that your purpose could be... for any future modification or enhancements you'll need the source code.)

There are lot of forums that you'll come across where you will mostly see the option suggested as Exporting and Importing the SCA file from Source to Traget Track.

Please note that when you follow this method, it only exports the COMPILED version (a built copy) of your Software Component residing inside your track. Later If you try and import this particular Track in your NWDS for modification it will just bring the built version. You'll not be able to modify the source code.

For E.G. It's like you are trying to view the contents of the .EAR file that gets generated after you perform a local build operation on your WebDynpro DC. you can just view it you can't modify it.

To modify that WebDynpro DC you'll need to access the actual project structure.

So the description that i am giving will be including the source code migration too.

Open the SLD of the Target system, and Create a new Product and Software Component (SC) as was done in the Source System.

Prerequisite:

The CMS/inbox folder in your Target system is containing all the required build time Software dependencies (Build Archives).

Creating a new Track in the Traget System

1) Open the following URL to access NWDI web interface of the Target System.

www.http://<hostname>:<port number>/devinf

2) goto Change Management Services

3) Open System Landscape Directory

4) Click on Software Components

5) Here in the Filter give your Software Component name.

6) after the search is over select your SC in the table and the below displayed tabs goto Dependencies.

7) in the Context drop down chose "BuildTime"

😎 click on "Define Prerequisite Software Component Versions"

9) Here, one by one add all the dependencies exactly how it is defined in the source track.

10) once you are done with this, go back to the 2nd step mentioned above.

11) Goto the Landscape Configurator link.

10) Chose your track inside the table on the left side.

12) goto the Domain Data option, Click on the "Change" button, and then click on "Update CMS" button (This may take some time)

13) once the CMS Update is finished, open the "Track Data" link that is beside "Domain Data"

14) Now click on the "Change" button, from the software component (SCs) table remove the WebDynpro SC, and add it back once again.

15) Save the Track Data (While saving, do not forget to select "Save and Reimport" option.)

16) Now goto Transport Studio, make sure your track is selected in the table

17) In the Check-In Tab select all the components displayed in the "Check-In" button.

18) Once the Check-In operation is completed all those component will now be queued up in the Development Tab,

19) In the Development Tab select all the components & click on "Import"

20) Once the Import operation is completed all those component will now be queued up in the Consolidation Tab,

21) In the Consolidation Tab select all the components & click on "Import"

22) Now come back to your NWDS and load the same configuration from the SLD in the Developer studio..

To be Continued...

shreyas_pandya
Contributor
0 Kudos

Continued...

Exporting the Source Code from the Source Track

1) Now, come back to your old Track in your Source system.

2) Assuming that your Track is already loaded in NWDS with all the DC project structure created.

3) now you have to Copy the Entire contents of the Track folder that gets created on your Local DTR Client (NWDS), this folder will be a numeric folder like 0, 1 and so on..

you have to copy all the content residing inside folder.

Paste the Source Code into the Target Track.

1) Assuming you have already loaded the new Track in your NWDS.

2) This Track will be containing an Empty SC skeleton (i.e. without any DCs inside it, as it is a fresh new track).

3) Now, open the Track folder your in local machine NWDS, this will also be a numeric folder like 0, 1 and so on...

4) Paste the Entire contents that you have copied from the old Track folder, as described in the last point in the previous section.

5) This will result into an Activity Creation in NWDS, so you have to associate the entire contents being copied with an Activity.

4) Later, Check-In, Activate and Release all those activities from NWDS.

5) Import the same activities into Consolidation import queue.

6) Finally, Assemble the software Component in Assembly tab.

That's it now this SCA can be used as a unit of transport that you can carry forward to other runtime systems like TEST and production systems.

Regards,

Shreyas Pandya

shreyas_pandya
Contributor
0 Kudos

Let me know if you need any clarifications...

Regards,

Shreyas Pandya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not really, what I'm trying to do is copying a track from one system to another independently of the first.

I've found out that I can export the sca file and import it to the target, but it doesn't let me modify it... (because is active)

what can I do to get it modifyable??

sridhar_k2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I belive you are trying to create one more track from existing track.

If Yes, go to CMS -> Landscape Configurator - Select Track (Source) - Save As button - Enter all the details like Track ID, Name and select check box if needed.

From Transport Studio -> Select Source Track -> go to Approval Tab -> Forward from History-> Give target.

Import Development Tab. You can use this track as a new track.