cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click Once deployment for CR 2008 (full version)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm trying to determine what I need to setup with my click once deployment for my windows application that uses CR 2008 (full version).

Under Prerequisites I have two options:

Crystal Reports Basic for Visutal Studio 2008 (x86 and x64)

Crystal Reports 2008

I developed the reports from within VS 2008 IDE. I've noticed that if I check Crystal Reports 2008 Prerequisite, when installing the application is generates an error saying it can't download the Crystal Reports 2008 prerequisites.

Should I be setting my download of prerequisites to "same location as my application"?

Would love to get some hints on how to deploy CR 2008 Windows Application via Click Once.

Thanks, Rob.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Adding more findings on this problem. It turns out the when using

In VS 2008 SP1 -- Project Properties | Publish | Prerequisites button :

"Download prerequisities from the component vendor's web site" will not work if Crystal Reports 2008 is selected. When installing a click once application it looks for this prerequisite at:

"http://resources.businessobjects.com/support/downloads/redistributables/cr_120/redist/x86/CRRuntime_12_2_mlb.msi" if you try and paste this link in your browser, you'll see that there is no such link (not found).

So either SAP needs to put this MSI in the linked location, or I'll need to get that MSI file and use the "Download prerequisities from the same location as my application"

Does anyone know where I can download the CRRuntime_12_2_mlb.msi?? I can't see to locate it.

Thanks, Rob.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

I was eventually able to find the files you listed and downloaded them. Unfortunately there are no instructions on how to get them integrated into the VS 2008 IDE Prerequisites list -- I was able to get MDAC 8.1 SP1 to show up in my prerequisites but not having any luck with CR 2008 SP2 for click once.

Tried copying the "CrystalReports 12.2" directory to C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages

But that has not changed the problem -- if I use "Download prerequisites from the component vendor's web site" I still get the error on install where it can not find the file from:

http://resources.businessobjects.com/support/downloads/redistributables/cr_120/redist/x86/CRRuntime_...

Would love to know how I can get this working?

Thanks, Rob.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The URL should be resolved by end of day today. I am supposed to get an email once it has been done. Unfortunately, I'm leaving early today so I will not be able to update this thread when I do get the email. I will do so tomorrow, or you can try closer to the end of day, see if it starts to work.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Excellent, thank you -- I'll keep checking

former_member533532
Participant
0 Kudos

Try the following link, to upgrade your VS2008 CR10_5 to V12.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms225400.aspx

RASmith

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Last word I got on this, is that there is some problem updating the link - mostly permissions on our side. I'll update this thread as soon as that is resolved.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, please keep me updated as I would rather deploy my click once application using "download prerequisites from component vendor's web site" as that reduces the bandwidth stress on our own servers.

On a side note, I finally did get the "Download prerequisites from the same location as my application" to work with CR 2008 SP2, but NOT using the approach suggested here as that doesn't work. The "same location" problem appears to be that CR 2008 SP2 installs and updates the Product.xml in the ...Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\CrystalReports 12.0 but does NOT place the necessary CRRuntime_12_2_mlb.msi in this directory (nor the accompanying language dirs). The "ClickOnce" redistribution files for CrystalReports 12.2 will not be seen under VS 2008 even when added to the Packages dir -- not exactly sure why, but for whatever reason VS 2008 only looks for CrystalReports 12.0 package.

So I basically have an alternate approach working for now, but the prefered approach is having the CRRuntime_12_2_mlb.msi be loacated at the link entry listed in the Product.xml.

Thanks, Rob.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rob, the new ClickOnce is posted with the correct URL. I have not had time to test it, but give it a try and see.

Keeping my fingers crossed,

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

It seems that I can deploy now using "Download prerequisites from component vendor's web site", HOWEVER, it will NOT update Crystal Reports 2008 runtime (12.0.0.683) on the client PC's with the newer 12.0.2.x runtimes?? My application will update, but not CR runtime?

Also tried deployment using "Download prerequisities from the same location as my application" and I get the same results.

So any of my existing client's with an older version of my Application using CR 12.0.0 runtime will get their application updated to my newer version, BUT the the CR 2008 runtime will not.

The ONLY time the newer CR 2008 runtime will distribute is when I ask the client to do an Uninstall of my application FIRST, then go to my clickonce deployment web page and install my application. This approach does install the correct CR 2008 runtime. But this "work around" sorta defeats the purpose of have "ClickOnce" deployment and will generate considerable support costs for my company.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rob.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

It seems that I can deploy now using "Download prerequisites from component vendor's web site", HOWEVER, it will NOT update Crystal Reports 2008 runtime (12.0.0.683) on the client PC's with the newer 12.0.2.x runtimes?? My application will update, but not CR runtime?

Also tried deployment using "Download prerequisities from the same location as my application" and I get the same results.

So any of my existing client's with an older version of my Application using CR 12.0.0 runtime will get their application updated to my newer version, BUT the the CR 2008 runtime will not.

The ONLY time the newer CR 2008 runtime will distribute is when I ask the client to do an Uninstall of my application FIRST, then go to my clickonce deployment web page and install my application. This approach does install the correct CR 2008 runtime. But this "work around" sorta defeats the purpose of have "ClickOnce" deployment and will generate considerable support costs for my company.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rob.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rob.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is an expected behavior. You must uninstall the existing runtime before installing the new runtime. For more details see [this|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/14789] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken]; blog, post from 19-Aug-09 (Unable to install CRRuntime_12_2_mlb.exe or CRRuntime_12_2_mlb.msi over an existing install from CRRuntime_12_1_mlb.exe or msi).

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

This is NOT an acceptable solution for my company. As a result, we are going to move to alternate reporting solutions (Telerik) that fully support ClickOnce deployment and updates.

Rob.

former_member200290
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Rob,

I can understand your frusterations and by all means you need to choose the right tool to do your job. I would like to give a quick explanation. Just say you distribute your application to an end-users machine. The, end-user then installs another application that uses our runtime on it, however this runtime is newer then what you have installed, and may not be 100% compatible with what you installed.

If we just did the upgrade then it could possibly break your application. This is the reason we do not overwrite installations.

I understand this does not work for you, however this behaviour is something I have heard our customers asking for, well since I have been working with the product (version 3.0.1.6 of Crystal).

Again choose the tool you need, I just wanted to give an explanation.

Trevor.

Answers (0)