cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to refresh a crystal report on BOE which connect to an excel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a crystal report which connect to an excel sheet on network. I am able to open it locally and refresh it. But after I upload it to the BOE, open it from infoview, I am not able to refresh it. it prompts for the database connection info.

I created an ODBC connection (choose MS excel and point to the excel file on network drive) on the BOE Server, it did not ask me for the login info and the server is responding. I also added this connection to BOE. But when I refresh the report from either infoview or CMC, it ask me for the database connection info with user login.

What should I do to solve this?

Thanks,

Vicky

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stratos,

I made a mistake. The report connecting to the ODBC of the excel on network drive happened to use the ODBC of local excel.

Actually, if the excel is on the BOE server,

no problem to refresh it on BOE.

But if the excel is on the network drive, I still get the error of the imcomplete logon info.

Can you please help?

Thanks,

Vicky

0 Kudos

Hi,

try the following:

Log on into the CMC, select Folders and navigate to the report, hightlight it and press the right mouse button. In the context menu choose Database Configuration, scroll down and select the Use same database logon as when report is run option.

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I tried and an error message about login failed is prompted.

Thanks,

Vicky

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The data source is an excel sheet in a network drive. I am able to refresh this report from my client computer, but after upload it to BOE, the report cannot be refreshed. The datasource configuration of this report is like the following:

Server:
server1\folder\excel.xls

Database:
server1\folder\excel.xls

User:

Password:

Because no user name and password are required to open the excel, I leave it blank. But when I refresh the report, it said that "the database logon information for this report is either incomplete or incorrect."

How can I be able to refresh this report from BOE?

Thanks,

Vicky

0 Kudos

Hi Vicky,

can you copy the file locally on the BOE server and setup an ODBC DSN to access the local file? This ODBC DSN should have the same name like the DSN you used on your client in order to create the report.

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stratos,

If I copy the excel file on BOE server and create ODBC DSN on it, then it won't get the updated data from the original excel file on the network drive. This excel is editing by people everyday.

Thanks,

Vicky

0 Kudos

Hi,

can you please still give it a try? I want just to check if a normal local connection to an excel file can work. If this works then we can proceed with the next step.

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stratos,

I am able to create ODBC from either local excel or network drive and refereshed the report on BOE now.

Thank you very much for your help.

Vicky

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stratos,

Just want to confirm with you that if I create the ODBC DNS to the excel, I did not see the tables from the ODBC connection but need to add command to select the fields from tables in the excel ODBC connection when I create report, right?

Thanks,

Vicky

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stratos,

I replied to myself by mistake. Could you please see my previous message?

Thank you very much,

Vicky

0 Kudos

Hi Vicky,

can you please mount your network drive on the BOBJ server using a logical drive letter (like X: or Z:) and try to access the file on this drive?

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stratos,

I am able to refresh it now. The error was because that the SIA was running on the local system, not an account that has the permission to access the Excel file on the network drive.

But thank you for the help.

Vicky