Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background jobs and variant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I have couple of question regarding background jobs. Can anyone please tell me how to create user variant for background jobs for example I want to create a user variant for this background jobu201D PFCG_TIME_DEPENDENCYu201D I can go to se38 and create variant for example (Ztest) but what is the benefit of this variant?

My second question is; please let me know what other standard background jobs should be set up in production other then PFCG_TIME_DEPENDENCY. Is basis user who will create batch jobs have admin access?

Thanks in advance

Faisal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Faisal,

you can see all the standard jobs in sm36-> standard jobs.

Regards,

Raja. G

8 REPLIES 8

Former Member
0 Kudos

Faisal,

you can see all the standard jobs in sm36-> standard jobs.

Regards,

Raja. G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

This is task of basis to schedule standard jobs via sm36.You can create a new user for example JOBUSER with appropriate authorisation to schedule it .the idea to create new user to avoid locking it or deleting it .

Variant is nothing but the input which a job need to run succesfully.for example if a job need to run for every month then you can define variant 30 days so that this jon will read this variant & run every after 30 days.

you can get more info for variant on below link::

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/EN/0a/af73ec76ac11d1ad670000e8a6353a/content.htm

Thanks..

Mohit

0 Kudos

Thank you guys for quick response,

I'm in a realization phase and I was asked to define all the background jobs that needs to be ran in production. My basis guy didn't know anything about this job that is very important in Prod " PFCG_TIME_DEPENDENCY", that's why I was asking this question.

So above mentioned report do you know how should I explain my basis guy to set up this job by daily basis I know it is through SM36 but can you guys give me some steps to setup the above mentioned report as a background job. Also I need to know what other background jobs I need to define in this phase or what other jobs need to be setup by basis?

Thank you so much for your feedback

Faisal

0 Kudos

<linkfarm_removed_by_moderator>

Edited by: Raja Gunasekaran on Sep 1, 2009 1:34 PM

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Sep 1, 2009 3:55 PM

0 Kudos

I distinctly remember threads about this in the past with some very helpfull answers.

A simple search should do the trick.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Guys,

So far I search in SDN but I don't find some other background jobs name or list that needs to be setup in production. I talked to my basis guy he said he already setup those standard jobs using DDIC that listed in SM36, he will do the same thing in Production.

I just used the Job Wizard in SM36 in my sandbox and setup the background job for the this report "PFCG_TIME_DEPENDENCY" it ran succfully the only concern I have it reconcile all the role even the SAP roles that are usually not generated. I was woundering if Ican restrict this report only for Z Roles not for all SAP roles.

Please advise

Thanks

Faisal

0 Kudos

That is strange, because I could find a thead discussing exactly this very easily by using the name of the report and the word "variant" with it in the pattern.

Alternately, if you look at the coding of the report you will see the solution starring it you.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Variant is nothing but a input created for a background job where the user interaction is not possible (or not required).

You can see the standard jobs in SM36.Click the 'Standard Jobs' button.

When you define a Background job, you are supposed to include a 'Job Step' which may be a ABAP program too. In that case you will be prompted for creating a variant in SE38 itself by clicking the 'Variants' radio button. Normally if the Program has already specified varian you can select it from search help too. And finally you can schedule the job according to your requirement.