cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel continuous crashes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are using Excel 2007 with BPC 7.0SP4. Whenever we edit the account dimension and modify some formula or properties, typically making modifications in the formula bar, it crashes Excel. I notice it happens after retrieving data in a report or input schedule on the same computer.

It becomes really unbearable. Anything we can do to solve this issue?

Is there any adverse effect at having MS Office installed on the application server?

Thanks,

regis

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please run the client diagnostic from the
server\osoft\ client software center. You may need to install or verify that you have .net 1.1 installed on the PC/laptop.

Please try and let us know.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually I don't have .NET 1.1. I have 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1

Is 1.1 absolutely necessary? Is it really what could be causing these recurring crashes?

Thanks

Regis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, at this time we still have components using .NET 1.1, so it is required. We are trying to move up the chain during our next releases to the newer .NET environments, and yes it is likely the cause of excel crashes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I install, it claims that .NET 1.1 is already installed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The note is a year old, but check SAP Note 1240811..."Known issues with BPC and Office 2007"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks James,

I checked the note but no symptom similar to ours. I'll create an OSS to report this issue. In the meantime, I'll follow the suggestion from Martin and edit dimension files outside of SAP Admin.

Thanks,

Regis

Former Member
0 Kudos

have you already tried clarign local view and current app information before you update the dimensions?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes I did. to no avail

sorin_radulescu
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Just to clarify.

You are saying if you have both BPC Excel client and BPC admin console open and you are moving from BPC Excel to admin console open a dimension and doing modifications into formula the Excel is crashing?

I was trying a test in my computer and I was not able to reproduce this issue with Office 2003.

Please open an OSS message because it seems to be a problem of BPC client using Office 2007.

Regards

Sorin Radulescu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sorin,

That's correct. I was working with Excel 2003 on another environment and it worked fine. It occurs only with Excel 2007.

Thanks,

Regis

sorin_radulescu
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Did you installed Office 2007 Data Connectivity Component into application server?

Did you check if you have enough memory into that computer able to handle all you excel sessions open?

Regards

Sorin Radulescu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sorin,

Yes to both questions. There is over 1GB free on my laptop. It's a pretty consistent crash now, I can easily reproduce it and my colleagues all face the same problems.

Thanks,

Regis

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the same problem and no solution but some workarounds.

Now, I avoid having excel open if I am doing dimension maintenance as it seems using the excel in dimension maiantenance conflicts with excel and it eventually crashed.

Alternatievely, I open the excel memeber sheet directly in excel and then save it and then process the dimension without opening the excel sheet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you finish of processed the dimension, Can you proces too the application where the dimension works?

On our application server isn't installed MS Office

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Actually, there is no problem with processing dimensions, or the application for that matter. It crashes when modifying a member from the formula bar. And that happens typically when switching from an excel workbook to BPC dimension editor.

Thanks,

Regis