cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Busy

former_member217085
Participant
0 Kudos

Many times when crating a dashboard, the canvas is locked and i get the following message:

Server busy

This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose "Switch P" to activate the busy program and correct the problem

I then have to click a great nr of times either on "RETRY", "SWITCH TO" or try to close the window by clicking on the little cross on the upper right corner of the window. After much clicking it goes away. Sometimes it does not and I have to close XC and open it again or even restart the PC. This is an exceedingly annoying problem I also used to have with 4.5 pro. In those good old times when you could actually contact a BO Support guy (!!!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

"Server Busy" is a generic message thrown in different scenarios. For e.g. You may get this message when Xcelsius is launched and which in-turn is awaiting excel.exe process to be invoked.

Other reference that may help:

Refer page (6/20) of [Xcelsius 2008 SP2 Release Notes|http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/xcelsius2008SP2/en/sp2_xcelsius_relnotes_en.pdf]

Thanks,

Subhodeep

former_member217085
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi!

I read the manual you indicated and I found:

"Server Busy" Dialog Box

If a component's Dynamic Visibility is enabled, switching between the canvas

and the embedded spreadsheet may cause the application to hang. If so,

please wait. If the "Server Busy" dialog box appears, please press the Cancel

button. This should return user control.

Is this what you mean? And if so. which iks the CANCEL button?

Thanks!

former_member217085
Participant
0 Kudos

I think Anil is right. This is a bug that has yet not been resolved by SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there any solution on this yet? I am having similar issue whenever I try to import an excel in Xcelsius.

Please let me know if any one found any solution?

Thanks

AJ

former_member217085
Participant
0 Kudos

Not that I know of. Either SAP does not want to invest time solving it or does not know how to.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi there.

IT WORKS!

The easiest way to remove the server busy error open a blank excel document before you open Xcelsius file or Xcelsius. then open Xcelsius or any .xlf file. you will be able to work without that error message!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am still having this issue, but I think my situation is a little different.

1. i get the "server busy" message when I try to open an xlf file in Xcelsius. I do not know how to resolve this issue. I need some help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kekin01,

If you are still reading this thread I recommend you to do the following:

1. Right after you open you xlf file minimize your desktop with control key + D while xcelsius is opening.

2. Click again over the xcelsius window in the windows bar to maximize it and you'll see an excel windows with the messasge of compatibility mode. You need to press the "Continue" button in order to preceed with the openning of the file.

This happens because when xcelsius starts, it launchs an instance of excel in order to open the embedded excel and if the excel file has been saved with compatiibility mode then excel warns you and waits for you to press the continua button.

This happen to me once and It took me a day to figure it out.

Hope this helps.

cheers,

xtian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I have been through this annoying problem in several days and finally find out the reason behind. I do not know what version of Excel you are using but mine is 2007. So, when you got the message Server Busy when importing the Excel file, do as following to resolve it:

1. Open the Windows Task Manager.

2. Go to tab Applications and look for task Microsoft Excel - Compatibility Check and double click on it. This action will bring you to the small windows of Excel which alerts you about the compatibility check of the Excel file. I think because the original Excel file was saved with some incompatibility features then embedded Excel in Xcelsius throws the exception but the windows did not display properly.

3. Click button Continue to process the import.

4. Go back to Xcelsius and click Retry button to import the Excel sheet.

Well, the issue is solved.

Hopefully this tips will be useful for you.

Cheers,

Danny Pham

Edited by: DannyPham on Jun 7, 2011 3:43 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Danny,

I was facing the same issue, and its resolved as mentioned by you.

it was due to security warning for Macros, I just enable it and its working.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

This thread is marked "answered" in 2009 but I am still seeing the issue today. Has there been any resolution to the Server Busy pop up message , causin Xcelsius 2008 to freeze/lock ? I am clicking "Retry" or "Cancel" over and over , never getting beyound the loop. I've had to exit out of Xcelsius altogether and reload my project every time the pop-up occurs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

This error was bugging me too. I noticed it only started when I started using Live Office. I've found that if I go to Task Manager > Applications, I can see that Live Office is running. If I select it and click Switch To... then it brings up an error message that was (apparently) hiding. Closing this error, then clicking Retry to the original message works (so far).

Hope this helps.

David G

former_member186358
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gunderic,

I had been facing this error ever since i started working on this...

Will be glad if there is a permanent fix for this issue

-Anil

former_member217085
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Anil !

Isn't that annoying? I mean, this problem is occurring for many, many years now.....Does someone out there know how to solve this problem? Hello SAP! are you listening?