cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 429 - ActiveX Component can't create object

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, I have a VB Project that launches crystal reports (11.5 R2 SP4). Everything works on the development machine. I have a Visual Studio 2008 Deployment Project which distributes the VB app with the Crystal Merge Modules, and it works 100%. Now I am trying to migrate to using InstallShield 2010.

I've selected to use the merge modules, and every other library my project uses. Everything works in my application except launching the Crystal Report. The error I get is in the subject of this topic. On the client, I see a bunch of crystal files that the merge module created, what could I be missing?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The error, ActiveX Component can't create object, indicates that a com object referenced in the app is not registered for some reason. I'd concentrate on craxdrt.dll (or craxDDrt.dll if that is referenced) and crviewer.dll. As a test, manually register these and see if that helps. If that helps, it will be a matter of trying to figure out why the dlls do not register. On a box that gives the error, you may want to use the utility called Dependency Walker to see what it tells you re. dependencies. Dependency Walker can be downloaded from here:

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek, thanks for the response.

After a few tests and source code looking, it turns out that we have a custom library being called mixed in with CR ActiveX generation (not a design I agree with). That problem was that our DLL wasn't registered, and the form couldn't create an object from our library.

So manually registering our library got Crystal Reports farther, but there is still an error that appears. I now see the Crystal Report controls (Print, Page next/prev, BO Emblem etc..) but it fails to load the report with this error:

Invalid Argument Provided.

But the report works when using the Visual Studio Install Package.

I'm going to have to put some message boxes and see how far it gets in the code.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can launch a blank crystal report showing todays date on the clients using InstallShield deployment, so Crystal Reports seems to be working.

I just have to figure out what is going on with my report which takes parameters

Former Member
0 Kudos

Now I've created a simple report using XML native driver, static XML/XSD data, no parameters. This report launches when using the Visual Studio Deployement, but not the InstallShiled. I get the Invalid Argument Provided error.

As I understand, the XML Native driver isn't part of the merge modules, so I am just copying in the crdb_xml_xxxxx.dll files. I must be missing something in this area, thanks!

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For my $$, stay away from crdb_xml.dll. See my blog re runtime distribution for crdb_xml.dll here:

/people/ludek.uher/blog/2009/03/31/how-to-deploy-crystal-reports-2008-runtime-for-net-when-the-report-is-connecting-to-xml-files

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Using crdb_xml is a requirement I can not change for this project, unfortunatly. When I install full Crystal Reports XI R2 on the test client, the report launches, so there is something crystal related that I am missing.

I've done the java install, and CRConfig.xml is configured to point to the java directory. It seems everything is done but there is something missing. Could that dependancy walker tool help here? I'm not sure how to use it. Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okay, I updated to Service pack 5, and FixPack 6 for the MSMs. These give more details in their errors. The error was when starting java.

The issue was I missed a directory within the JRE when deploying to the client, adding that solved the issue!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm doubting its a crystal report error, just wondering if anyone as seen it before and what else I should look for.

More info: My reports use XML Native Driver with an XSD file.