cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Groupware integration - Server or Client?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just got the information that we're going to upgrade our CRM 5.0 to CRM 7.0. One of the main reasons why we "froze" the system from a development perspective two years ago was the fact, that there was no real "good" integration to groupware (in our case Microsoft Exchange + Outlook). The tedious java MapBox proved to be not stable enough for several hundred users.

Now with CRM 7.0 that MapBox is integrated to ABAP. We're now still wondering what is the way to go since, what researching blogs, documentation and forum entries proved, that the client based integration is much more advanced - with the price of having to maintain Outlook "plugins"/extensions in a distributed (worldwide) environment where users are restricted on the frontends, means, they have no permission to install software or plugins themselves.

Researching is somewhat confusing since quite a lot of documentation for the server based groupware integration points to the CRM 5.0 or CRM 2007 documentation. The latest available groupware connector 4.0 is from december 2007 which may lead us to the assumption, that the development is stopped in favor for the client based integration.

Can someone elaborate what would be the future path? If possible we would like to avoid any local software installations and use the server based integration.

Markus

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member198218
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

I got this question several times in the past. The initial trigger for developing a "competitive" solution to the server side integration was our On Demand offering, where a server to server integration would not work in a hosted environment.

The two solutions are quite different if you look into the details and that´s why some customers better go with one solution, some with the other.

Currently both solutions are still in development and not set to End-of-life. We are currently working on future roadmaps for both application in order to keep track on changing market requirements.

I hope that answers your question.

best regards

Martin

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

thank you for coming back to me!

The two solutions are quite different if you look into the details and that´s why some customers better go with one solution, some with the other.

Yes - that's what we are currently trying to evaluate The problem in finding the "details" is the confusion about the documentation which points party to CRM 5.0, partly to CRM 2007 and party it's in CRM 7.0. It's not really a straightforward process finding out what is supported by what solution.

It starts with the installation documentation for the Groupware connector pointing to CRM 5.0 which tells about installing certain SCAs (which are for MaxBox Java) and goes further to pointers to CRM 5.0 for configurations.

Example:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_crm70/helpdata/en/44/559f3699d908fae10000000a422035/frameset.htm

(quote)

You can find more detailed information on the installation and configuration of the SAP Groupware Connector in the Installation Guide as well as in the SAP Groupware Connector Administration Guide by choosing http://service.sap.com/instguides ® SAP Business Suite Applications ® SAP CRM ® SAP CRM 2005 ® CRM Core and Standalone Components

(endquote)

Currently both solutions are still in development and not set to End-of-life. We are currently working on future roadmaps for both application in order to keep track on changing market requirements.

That would be a GoodThing(TM). Without having a consultant on-site who has an in-depth current knowledge about what is the current state of both methods customers have no chance in deciding for one or the other solution which makes planning invests and eventually project runtimes impossible. I wish the documentation would be more clear for someone who's not dealing day-by-day with that software.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus

Thanks for some valuable information given above by you.

We have a requirement to transfre Emails from Microsoft Outlook 2007 to SAP CRM.

Does the email transfer come under full blown Client or Server Groupware integration or are there different settings required for this activity.

I beleieve email transfer is also in some way a part of groupware integration. Kindly let me know

Thanks

Tarang

Arno-Meyer
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Markus

Have you seen the Blog

What´s new in Client Based Groupware Integration in CRM 7.0 for MS Outlook?

This Blog will not provide a real answer, but you can get in touch with the author Martin Dauer.

He is Product Manager in this area.

Best regards

Arno

Edited by: Arno Meyer on Oct 8, 2009 9:30 AM